Barton Fink....

ajzepp

Okay, so I'm so pumped up for the game that I can't sleep this morning.....I toss in Barton Fink - my latest Netflix arrival - and I spend the next hour and forty minutes pretty interested in the happenings of this odd fellow. Overall I'm enjoying the acting, the "period", the dialogue, etc.....then, out of nowhere, the movie ends. Just STOPS.

Okay, now I get the idea that part of the film is sort of symbolic of the whole "sell your soul to the Devil" thing, but what in the world is up with this flick? Can anyone give me a good, solid explanation of what this movie was about exactly? Was is just that the Cohen brothers left so much open to interpretation that I'm too tired to do my part?

There's no way I'm going to watch this again, so someone please help.....

My least-favorite Coen's flick.  Have no clue what they were doing with it.  Check out "Miller's Crossing" - a far more coherent movie.

444489[/snapback]

My least favorite is Intolerable Cruelty. All the other Coen films are exceptional

I'm a big fan of Barton Fink, though I can't give you an airtight explanation of everything going on in that movie. I think in part it's a satire on writers/artists and their egomania--Barton Fink prides himself on writing serious social commentary, but he can't write about anything but himself. He has only one story to tell, and that's a tedious one. When he's asked to write about something outside of his area of experience, he's hopelessly blocked.

Witness the fact that he's living next door to a homicidal maniac (John Goodman) and he can't even be bothered to figure it out. He never LISTENS to anyone, really. It's all about what's in his head, and after a while the hotel room is almost an image of the inside of his head. (Plus he ends up with a head in a box).

Anyway, that's the movie i saw. I also thought it was hilarious, and John Goodman deserved an Oscar.

My least-favorite Coen's flick.  Have no clue what they were doing with it.  Check out "Miller's Crossing" - a far more coherent movie.

444489[/snapback]

Wow. Exact opposite for me. Millers Crossing is the only Coen movie that im kinda blah on. Loved Barton Fink. Gotta a kick out of Goodman and "Chet"