Bills versus Raiders?

Raiderjoe

It's really tough to tell from the one game. But, we looked good on D and decent on O in the first game.

We will run the ball quite a bit even if it isn't gaining tons of yardage and we seem to be building on the short passing game rather than going vertical.

What's up with five turnovers v. the Steelers?????

After this thread is seen by most here, expect to feel very very confident about winning this week.  Bills are d o o m e d

31240[/snapback]

Hey your defense has been solid the last two years. Bills have some skill players on offense. Whats the problem? Oline? Drew Bledsoe a statue back there?

Hey your defense has been solid the last two years.    Bills have some skill players on offense. Whats the problem?  Oline?  Drew Bledsoe a statue back there?

31251[/snapback]

Wait, is this Foxboro Mike under a new screename?? :D:P

OL is a big problem for us right now no question

Drew Bledsoe a statue back there?

31251[/snapback]

Now ya done it Joe! Thems fightin words! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :D

He actually looked decent on Sunday. His play was crisp but not much was asked of him. No shots downfield etc. If the coaches gain confidence in DB and the O-line they should open up the offense. Until then...pretty vanilla.

The Bills are taking baby steps in laying a foundation for thier offense, so expect alot of running, little deep passing. Keep a DB back the whole game though, just in case - it worked for Jax. Your offense is in trouble. Our D played strong, but let up in the end and made stupid plays in the clutch, so your offense will be facing a pretty pissed off group. Our kicking game is suspect.

Hey your defense has been solid the last two years.    Bills have some skill players on offense. Whats the problem?  Oline?  Drew Bledsoe a statue back there?

31251[/snapback]

HEHE drew bledsoe a statue? Foxboro Mike , is that you?

No seriuiosly, we have been having a drew bledsoe debate for 9 mos. I cant say I can blame him for this one. I think its mostly just a losing mentality. It will turn around I think, just not sure when....

It's really tough to tell from the one game. But, we looked good on D and decent on O in the first game.

We will run the ball quite a bit even if it isn't gaining tons of yardage and we seem to be building on the short passing game rather than going vertical.

What's up with five turnovers v. the Steelers?????

31248[/snapback]

[/quote

I don't think Bills will have much sucess trying to run on Raiders but the short passing attack could be effective .; To generate pressure on Bledsoe, The raiders lbs will be the ones putting the heat on QB,(Raiders DL dosen't offer much in a pass rush) Most likely that means lbs will be blitzing alot.

Raiders on offense right now is little confusing. Raiders no longer are a WCO but a more vertical offense. QB R Gannon dosen't seem to be as good fit as Kerry Collins.(who this offense is perfectly suited for)

Raiders have alot of speed at WR and at TE but the problem is R gannon when Rice is in the game tries to still play the dink and dunk.(won't take chances deep) Can't do that in Norv Turner offense. (have to stretch the field) Thats why Norv didn't play Rice in second half to force him to use his speed threats down the field. Gannon was very successful hitting his Wrs deep in second half.

Oline is another confusing area. Clearly Robert Gallery and J Grove have been two of the Raiders best Olineman in the preseason and yet N Turner didn't start either. Center J Grove dosen't know all the line calls yet and thats why he isn't starting. J Grove a physical brute who would be a better matchup against S Adams or P williams. C Adam Treu(current starter) would be liability against either.

Raiders Oline in first half(Steelers) had major trouble protecting R gannon. You hit Ganon early and often and he going to make mistakes , he otherwise wouldn't make. Big change was when Raiders inserted Robert Gallery intro lineup as he seemed to raise the level of the entire Oline. Nowegannon had major time and could take advantage of the speed he had at Wr deep.

Raiders have to start R Gallery somewhere on offenseline.

Didn't you hear? The Bills forfeited the game because they don't have a viable team.... :D

With the changes that came in our off-season, we're still self-scouting to determine what the team is and does, but here's a break-down of what I think:

Defense: Look for an aggresive, blitzing type defense. Expect to see a fair amount of zone blitzes in there. In the past we've had "soft" coverage, but I'm not sure if we showed more aggressive, "bump and run" coverage in the Jags game. D-Line is stout in the middle with Adams and Williams, who both can not only take on linemen but will get penetration. On the outside of the line is what many consider our weakest point. Aaron Schobel is consistent but not spectacular, many call him a "one-trick pony," but he did get 11.5 sacks last year. The linebacking corps is a really strong group with Spikes, Fletcher and Posey. They do have the speed around the outside in run support but getting coverage matchups against them can work in your favor. The safeties can also be a question mark. Just to give you an idea, the interception by Izell Reese against the Jags was the first by a Bills safety since 2001. Coy Wire at strong safety provides great run support but is pretty green in coverage and can get duped by play action, while the free safety position looks like it's being handled adequately by Izell Reese so far...At the corners you have veteran Troy Vincent who brings a lot of experience even if he has lost a step, and hot dog Nate Clements who seems to live and die by the big play. The nickel and dime corners are young but pretty good.

On offense, the philosophy looks like it will work to the strength: run-based. Expect a high run:pass ratio. We have a strong, up the middle running back in Henry, and a potentially good back in McGahee, who looked decent once he got going against the strong run D of Jax. Our line is the big question mark. Left tackle is pretty solid, left guard is a UDFA but is showing some decent play, at the center we have a converted tackle who last year was good for one bad shotgun snap per game and who also seemed to get bowled over pretty easily...though he did decent against Jax' stout middle. At right guard we have a seasoned veteran (who got a bad holding call against him that "cost us the game") and right tackle is Mike Williams, and I'm sure you read the stories about him. Say what you will though, he's good blocking in the forward direction for the running game. WR's are Moulds, decent slot guy Reed, speedy rookie Evans (who hasn't shown much yet) and veteran #4 guy Shaw. It's a good crew, but it seems like Evans problem is getting separation. TEs are a mixed bag. At QB we have a guy who has been known to be immobile, taking too many sacks and forcing too many throws, creating turnovers at the wrong time. In one game, he seems to have shed a lot of that, dumping off frequently and taking just one well-advised sack. But who knows...

Our punter booms them and our place-kicker has shown real troubles outside 40 yards.

The Bills are taking baby steps in laying a foundation for thier offense, so expect alot of running, little deep passing.  Keep a DB back the whole game though, just in case - it worked for Jax.  Your offense is in trouble.  Our D played strong, but let up in the end and made stupid plays in the clutch, so your offense will be facing a pretty pissed off group.  Our kicking game is suspect.

31260[/snapback]

Really thats the matchup I really want to see- Raiders new offense versus a very very good Bills defense? This isn't same Raiders Wr group as they have alot of size and speed at Wr now. Really comes down to whether both J Grove and R gallery start this week. iF Grove can't start than I don't like Raiders chances running up middle. R gallery is an animal who makes Raiders Oline very good. This is a great test for Raiders offense going up against the Bills defense. This game probably will be decided in the trenches.

Didn't you hear?  The Bills forfeited the game because they don't have a viable team....  :D

With the changes that came in our off-season, we're still self-scouting to determine what the team is and does, but here's a break-down of what I think:

Defense: Look for an aggresive, blitzing type defense.  Expect to see a fair amount of zone blitzes in there.  In the past we've had "soft" coverage, but I'm not sure if we showed more aggressive, "bump and run" coverage in the Jags game.  D-Line is stout in the middle with Adams and Williams, who both can not only take on linemen but will get penetration.  On the outside of the line is what many consider our weakest point.  Aaron Schobel is consistent but not spectacular, many call him a "one-trick pony," but he did get 11.5 sacks last year.  The linebacking corps is a really strong group with Spikes, Fletcher and Posey.  They do have the speed around the outside in run support but getting coverage matchups against them can work in your  favor.  The safeties can also be a question mark.  Just to give you an idea, the interception by Izell Reese against the Jags was the first by a Bills safety since 2001. Coy Wire at strong safety provides great run support but is pretty green in coverage and can get duped by play action, while the free safety position looks like it's being handled adequately by Izell Reese so far...At the corners you have veteran Troy Vincent who brings a lot of experience even if he has lost a step, and hot dog Nate Clements who seems to live and die by the big play.  The nickel and dime corners are young but pretty good.

On offense, the philosophy looks like it will work to the strength: run-based.  Expect a high run:pass ratio.  We have a strong, up the middle  running back in Henry, and a potentially good back in McGahee, who looked decent once he got going against the strong run D of Jax.  Our line is the big question mark.  Left tackle is pretty solid, left guard is a UDFA but is showing some decent play, at the center we have a converted tackle who last year was good for one bad shotgun snap per game and who also seemed to get bowled over pretty easily...though he did decent against Jax' stout middle.  At right guard we have a seasoned veteran (who got a bad holding call against him that "cost us the game") and right tackle is Mike Williams, and I'm sure you read the stories about him.  Say what you will though, he's good blocking in the forward direction for the running game.  WR's are Moulds, decent slot guy Reed, speedy rookie Evans (who hasn't shown much yet) and veteran #4 guy Shaw.  It's a good crew, but it seems like Evans problem is getting separation.  TEs are a mixed bag.  At QB we have a guy who has been known to be immobile, taking too many sacks and forcing too many throws, creating turnovers at the wrong time.  In one game, he seems to have shed a lot of that, dumping off frequently and taking just one well-advised sack.  But who knows...

Our punter booms them and our place-kicker has shown real troubles outside 40 yards.

31303[/snapback]

Hey thats a nice analysis of your team.

Raiders outside of defenseline and Qb aren't that old anymore.  Your DT  Sam Adams next to  Raiders NT Ted Washington looks skinny.  B)

31347[/snapback]

He's no spring chicken any longer, but I still miss Big Ted! One of my all time favorites! B)

Not here to talk smack but just discuss the upcoming game between Bills and Raiders.  TYrying to9 get a Bills fans perspective of what is right and wrong with there team.

31237[/snapback]

This game will be a HUGE test for the Bills and our rookie head coach. Here are a few thoughts:

1) Gannon likes to roll out. I think that Schobel is going to get him at least once.

2) Your DTs are great vs the run, which does appear to be our game plan. The Bills will have a tough time pounding the ball at TW and WS UNLESS they are able to throw downfield. I think that Bledsoe will throw for 300.

3) Your OL is not strong. This should enable Big Sam to penetrate. Good luck.

4) Watch out for MaGahee. He is totally different from Travis, thus your sub-par defense and last resort headcoach will have trouble adapting to the differences that these backs bring to the football field.

The above said, the Bills are away, still learning at OL and have a rookie headcoach. Obviously, either team can win, but I am looking at a score of:

Bills 37

Raiders 21

This game will be a HUGE test for the Bills and our rookie head coach. Here are a few thoughts:

1) Gannon likes to roll out. I think that Schobel is going to get him at least once.

2) Your DTs are great vs the run, which does appear to be our game plan. The Bills will have a tough time pounding the ball at TW and WS UNLESS they are able to throw downfield.  I think that Bledsoe will throw for 300.

3) Your OL is not strong. This should enable Big Sam to penetrate. Good luck.

4) Watch out for MaGahee. He is totally different from Travis, thus your sup-par defense and last resort headcoach will have trouble adapting to the differences that these backs bring to the football field.

The above said, the Bills are away, still learning at OL and have a rookie headcoach. Obviously, either team can win, but I am looking at a score of:

Bills      37

Raiders 21

31394[/snapback]

I think your underestimating Raiders Oline. It is pretty good now (should be really good later on)especially if R gallery is starting somewhere. I think Raiders Oline should give gannon plenty time to throw especially at Home.

Raiders do have three pretty solid Cbs in C woodson, P Buchanon and D Walker who did a fine job limiting Steelers trio of H ward, P Burress and Randle EL. Thats another great matchup.

Raiders defense isn't there yet(still trying to get use to alot of new players on defense) but with the return of Napoleon harris should be a very tough defense to exploit.

I think Norv going to try and really spread out the Bills defense and take advantage of all the speed he has at Wr. I look for Tes to be used alot.

I think your underestimating Raiders Oline. It is pretty good now (should be really good later on)especially if R gallery is starting somewhere.  I think Raiders Oline should give gannon plenty time to throw especially at Home.   

Raiders do have three pretty solid Cbs in C woodson, P Buchanon and D Walker who did a fine job limiting Steelers trio of H ward, P Burress and Randle EL.  Thats another great matchup.

Raiders defense isn't there yet(still trying to get use to alot of new players on defense) but  with the return of Napoleon harris should be a very tough defense to exploit.

I think Norv going to try and really spread out the  Bills defense  and take advantage of  all the speed he has at Wr. I look for Tes to be used alot.

31416[/snapback]

I don't know how successful you'll be in the spread with our coverage which is pretty good at every level except the last, but you could use multiple tight ends to draw down a more "challenged" coverage guy like Coy Wire and work on him.

I didn't see much of your game last week and didn't notice Parella in the game or on the stat line- I assume he was in your DT rotation?

I think your underestimating Raiders Oline. It is pretty good now (should be really good later on)especially if R gallery is starting somewhere.  I think Raiders Oline should give gannon plenty time to throw especially at Home.   

Raiders do have three pretty solid Cbs in C woodson, P Buchanon and D Walker who did a fine job limiting Steelers trio of H ward, P Burress and Randle EL.  Thats another great matchup.

Raiders defense isn't there yet(still trying to get use to alot of new players on defense) but  with the return of Napoleon harris should be a very tough defense to exploit.

I think Norv going to try and really spread out the  Bills defense  and take advantage of  all the speed he has at Wr. I look for Tes to be used alot.

31416[/snapback]

A couple of items:

- I am actually quite glad we are catching the Raiders O Line before they have had a chance to really gel......Sam Adams and Pat Williams are quite good and experienced........our DE's are undersized but quick and we have a strong set of linebackers......they did a solid job on the Jags who have a pretty good O Line (and fred taylor)

- I look for the bills to run a lot of misdirection plays because Big Ted is going to drop the anchor on runs up the middle.....but he has lost a lot of quickness and that gets him in trouble when he goes the wrong direction

- This is going to be a good test for both clubs......it isn't easy to go into the black hole and win......