It's foolish to get angry about predictions

Max Fischer

Not sure why so many people get upset and downright indignent about game predictions by the media et al.

How can someone be an "idiot" for predicting the Bucs will beat up on the Bills BEFORE the game is played.

Now, I can understand playing 20/20 critic and going back and saying "I told you so," but what if (and I know this sounds crazy), what if they're prediction is right? Does that make YOU the fool?

I know it's a fans perogative, but I like being a Bills fan because I often think we are much more knowledgable about the game. But that kind of pre-game prediction bashing is very 3rd grade.

EXACTLY!! If anyone's criticism means they are disloyal and stupid for even venturing a discouraging word, then any praise means ZERO as well.

As long as someone makes an argument, than they have met the requirements to post in my book.

Predictions are opinions. It really isn't a matter of predictions/opinions being right or wrong. What matters is how objective and respectful the predictors are.

The biggest thing that bothers me is when a predictor projects a 14-2 season, or a 61-3 win, but when there is someone with a differning OPINION, that person with the difference is attacked or labled as a non-Fan.

I haven't seen anyone here being attacked for differing opinions, but it definitely happens on other boards.

Another thing I have noticed here, there is a LOT of very intelligent football conversation, but there is also a lot of light hearted comedy. That is a great combination. Posters are actually encouraged to think in here because of this respect. There is a friendly troll once in a while, but they don't DOMINATE the board with a lot of trash talking. This place is a very nice change.

Not sure why so many people get upset and downright indignent about game predictions by the media et al. 

How can someone be an "idiot" for predicting the Bucs will beat up on the Bills BEFORE the game is played.

Now, I can understand playing 20/20 critic and going back and saying "I told you so," but what if (and I know this sounds crazy), what if they're prediction is right?  Does that make YOU the fool?

I know it's a fans perogative, but I like being a Bills fan because I often think we are much more knowledgable about the game.  But that kind of pre-game prediction bashing is very 3rd grade.

443845[/snapback]

the disrespect can be aggravating, but i think the best thing that can happen to our team but is if everyone picks against us!

I have no problems with predictions for or against the Bills. What I do have a problem with is when, in explaining the reasoning, the person making the prediction states something that is obviously not true, or makes an assumption that is totally without merit.

For example, when Mike Francessa was making his NFL season predictions and had the Bills something like 6-10 and stated that JP will cost the Bills 5-6 games, that is a prediction without merit. When was the last time any QB who was not some guy off the bench pressed into service because of an injury, been the main reason a 6-10 team, which had a winning record the prior year with a more experienced QB, lost half of those 10 games? A QB could cost a team a game or 2, but no QB is singlehandedly going to cost his team 1/3 of their scheduled games, unless he's playing very badly. If JP were ever to approach that level of play, week after week to singlehandedly cost us 1 of every 3 games, Mularkey would have no choice but to replace him with Holcomb.

Look at the Ravens, even Kyle Boller has never been responsible for 5-6 losses out of 10 overall losses. In fact, the Ravens have won plenty of times in spite of Boller's weak play.

One can get mad at predictions based on just plain stupid assumptions, like Francessa's but to get mad just because someone predicted a loss one week is absurd.

Edit-I just re-read my post & realized that the Flutoians will soon be replying, showing the Rob-Flutie W/L record as evidence. I still stand by my statement that Francessa was an American Idiot by stating JP would cost us 5-6 games.