Biggest key of the game?

1billsfan

Leading at halftime.  The Bucs are very tough to beat with a lead and suck harder than a lady of the evening the day the rent is due when they trail at recess.

443359[/snapback]

They're very tough to beat w/ a lead, especially late in the game. Just ask Peyton Manning.

Losman having zero turnovers. If this happens I feel we'll have a better than 75 percent chance of winning this one.

Play big Big Cat, play big.

443337[/snapback]

i COMPLETLY AGREE!!!.

i remember the texans game he threw a INT.,.. (hey, just becuase the LB cant catch, doesnt mean it wasnt a HUGE mistake). if he had caught it, he would have gotten a TD. and braught the game to within 1 score.

the bucs have a very good D, similar in style to ours. i just hope he can avoid turnovers. our D will force a few.

QB pressure -- if the Bills can put consitant pressure on Griese, then he will make mistakes. He will turn over the ball, and the Bills will win.

If the bucs can effectively use the rungame to keep pressure off Griese, then it will be a tough one.

I feel comfortable though that out D can do it.

Key matchup to me: Bills between-the-tackles running game vs. Bucs front 7.

Tampa's weakness is against power-running teams (see: Carolina last year). If those undersized speedy guys on Tampa's front 7 are swarming to Willis as he passes the umpire, I'd say the matchup is favoring the Bills. If they can stuff the box without bringing extra help, the matchup favors the Bucs.

If they can't stop the run with 7, they'll be forced to bring up one of their (average) safeties, and leave Barber and Kelly without the over-the-top cover 2 help they've been accustomed to over their careers in Tampa. J.P. might get the green light to air it out, and honestly, I don't know what will happen then. Barber or Kelly as a shutdown corner is as much a mystery as Losman the deep passer.

If they are stopping Willis without abandoning the cover 2, it could be a long day against that defense. The Bucs' D, like a good goalie, keeps the play in front of them and makes a point of reading the QB and reacting to cause big plays. A young QB would have to do very special things to fool the Bucs' veteran defenders very often.

I don't see Tampa's running attack as particularly threatening; Cadillac's YPC for 58 minutes last week was sub-3.0 against a Vikings team that has a comparable DL but not nearly the playmakers at linebacker or safety that the Bills do. "Chipper" Griese can move the chains, but his error rate goes way up as he's asked to do anything more - like bring a team back from a deficit.

If the Bills can run inside, and if the Bucs must break their cover 2 to handle it, I think the Bills win. If Losman can make a couple plays to take advantage of that, they win big. If the Bills can't run it, and Losman has to win the game, I don't like the Bills' chances against the Bucs.

if there were ever a game that required the bills to dedicate themselves to the running game, this is that game.

we've been hearing all summer about how the bills now have a "physical" OL. now is the time to show it, because that is EXACTLY the sort of OL and gameplan that gives TB fits.

mcgahee must get 25+ carries in this game, and gates/williams another 10. if the bills wind up with 35 or more rushing attempts (not including JP scrambles), and don't lose the TO battle, they win. under 35 rushes and all bets are off.

that, my friends, will be the stat of the day.

Mike Gandy vs Simeon Rice.

I was thinking about this and came to the conclussion we might just do fine here. I expect Mike Mularkey to have a game plan similar to when we faced the dolphins and jets last year. Use Wr's and te's to help out the LT to chip block rice and pretty much make him less of a factor, on obvious passing downs. Rice is a force from the de position but he's not the best de we'll face this year. Julius Peppers, Abraham, Taylor, Seymour imo are all better. I can see leaving a te in and max protecting so rice's and derrick brooks effect are minimized as much as possible.

Cover 2 defenses are generally vunerable to the run over time. The Bucs have a solid pair of dt's although I have my doubts about hovan. They have fast but undersized lb's and zone corners with questibale safeties. The Run game might not always be pretty, infact at times it might be downright ugly, but it's essential in beating the bucs even if it's rushing willis 30 times for 80 yards, those 30 rushes will have an effect on the bucs defense. causing them to play the run and leaving zone corners 1 on 1 with Lee and Eric. With the proper use of pouding Willis, The Deep Posts that can cause cover 2 defenses fits, cause as ralonzo has pointed out cover 2 is premised on keeping the play infront of you, which makes a cover 2 zone vunerable to deep passes if they have to play run. Establish a ground game no matter how poor it may look on the stat sheet, and the big play opportunities will come.

Our Defense should flat out own griese and the bucs offense. Griese has limited mobility and is prone to mistakes with a questionable oline in front of him. Blitz heavy up the middle and we should force him to make plenty of mistakes. Power run offense, and pressure heavy d and we should walk away with a w.

On offense: Josh Reed. The Bucs will be gaming for McGahee, while Moulds and Evans will likely struggle against TB's very good CB's and FS. If Reed can open up the short to intermediate routes and allow JP to move the chains through the air, then this will relieve enough pressure up front to allow McGahee to average 4+ yds per carry by the second half.

On defense: Ron Edwards. Specifically, his pass rushing. Kelsay and Schobel will apply the pressure on the edges, but if Edwards can bring the pressure up the middle, then we can hang back all 7 of our LB's/DB's and completely blanket Galloway, Clayton, Alex Smith, and anyone else (Cadillac or Alstott) who dares to venture beyond the line of scrimmage. If we can beat TB's pathetic OL without having to blitz, then it should be lights out for Griese.

Pressure Griese.

Inside D-Line Pressures will force Griese to do what does worst: Improvise.

Look for Sam Adams to get a game ball for his pressure, and for Ron Edwards to be instrumental in a key turnover.

BTW, I was pretty close last week saying Troy Vincent would have a huge game. This week, it's Sam's turn.