How can Gray be this underrated?

Mikie2times

I just finished up an article on fox sports about this years hottest coaching candidates. The list included fifteen future coaches, out of all fifteen guys Jerry Gray didn't even get mentioned. Is this guy serious?

Gray coaches the second rated defense two consecutive years, and one that will likely hold the number one spot this year. In the history of this game only two other defenses have finished top three in total defense 3 straight years, the mid 80’s Bears, and the Ravens a few years ago.

We nearly set a NFL record for fewest points allowed in the third quarter last year. On top of all that we force as many turnovers as any defense in this league. A stat not figured into defensive rankings, but critical to winning.

We have plenty of talent but Gray's ability to make adujustments and implement our scheme play a huge role. Of course I want him to remain with the Bills, but I would also like to see him get the respect he deserves.

Future Coaching Candidates

i only hope that somewhere on the D staff we have some guys being groomed as gray's replacement, a la new england with mangini replacing crennel. when gray leaves -- and we know that will happen within a year or two -- i'd hate to see us backtrack defensively.

i only hope that somewhere on the D staff we have some guys being groomed as gray's replacement, a la new england with mangini replacing crennel.  when gray leaves -- and we know that will happen within a year or two -- i'd hate to see us backtrack defensively.

442336[/snapback]

You are 100% right. I hope it isn't the Don Blackmon though. Gray has said he WANTS to be a Head Coach. He will go to the NCAA or the NFL, BUT his goal is to be a HC.

Personally, he's been "overlooked" because people want him to actually proove himself and to sustaing his success. He played in then took over took over Greggy Williams defense. It isn't recognized as his. Secondly, he has to demonstrate he can make adjustments on the playing field. That is one main reason why the D has let us down even though they were ranked twice as the #2 D. They need to adjust to surprises. Third, he has a lot of HIGH quality, high athlelticism, team working players. Most teams looking for HC changes are making a change for a reason. That means a rebuilding phase.

Who would you rather have, Jerry Gray or Jimmy Johnson???

For those of you who cannot/don't want to click through. This list includes two former Bills head coaches, seven defensive coordinators and offensive coordinators.

Gregg Williams, Wade Phillips, Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress, Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis, Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Fassel, Steelers line coach Russ Grimm, Cowboys offensive coordinator Sean Payton, Miami offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, Chiefs defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, Jets offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger, and Falcons offensive and defensive coordinators Gregg Knapp and Ed Donatell.

You are 100% right. I hope it isn't the Don Blackmon though. Gray has said he WANTS to be a Head Coach. He will go to the NCAA or the NFL, BUT his goal is to be a HC.

Personally, he's been "overlooked" because people want him to actually proove himself and to sustaing his success. He played in then took over took over Greggy Williams defense. It isn't recognized as his. Secondly, he has to demonstrate he can make adjustments on the playing field. That is one main reason why the D has let us down even though they were ranked twice as the #2 D. They need to adjust to surprises. Third, he has a lot of HIGH quality, high athlelticism, team working players. Most teams looking for HC changes are making a change for a reason. That means a rebuilding phase.

Who would you rather have, Jerry Gray or Jimmy Johnson???

442382[/snapback]

I've heard Don Blackmon's name mentioned as the guy most likely to be promoted within the organization if Gray parts company. What's wrong with him?

i only hope that somewhere on the D staff we have some guys being groomed as gray's replacement, a la new england with mangini replacing crennel.  when gray leaves -- and we know that will happen within a year or two -- i'd hate to see us backtrack defensively.

442336[/snapback]

I hope this is Tim Krumrie....

Guest BackInDaDay

I don't think he's considered as a hot commodity yet because Xs and Os win games on gameday, but a prospective head coach has to have the managerial qualities that get him through the rest of the week. Not many young prospects have those qualities yet. Unfortunately, as we've all seen unfold here, the promise of potentially developing those qualities aren't always kept.

Marvin Lewis and Greg Williams were considered two of the best D coordinators in the league while interviewing for the Bills' job. It's been reported that it was Williams' ability to present a comprehensive, feasible plan for the team that impressed the GM into hiring him.

Personally, I think it was half a case of Scotch, a box of Cubans, and a back-rub.

When TD woke up hung-over the next morning, he should have rolled over and asked Greg for a second look at his short list of assistant coaching candidates. Instead, like most men who feel they've been given another chance at true love, Tom chose to look beyond the harshness of reality, into the hopeful eyes of his new darling.

Of course, it wasn't long before the relationship soured.

Terms like 'self-scouting' and 'quality control' appeared like lipstick traces on the collar of Greg's poloshirt. Tom, being betrayed by the same charming guile which entranced him in their first meeting, set upon a course of public humiliation for his new coach.

After stripping away many of his assistants and confidants, Donohoe bound Williams to the almost lifeless carcass of a coach once known as Kevin Gilbride. For over a year, he and paraded the two through the stadiums, tunnels and fields of the NFL. Finally, in the end, Tom's vengence was taken and Greg was cast out of OneBillsDrive. Love hath no fury like a GM scorned.

But seriously folks... What did TD learn from all of this?

In retrospect, it seems he's learned that sometimes, simple is better.

That, when the next inexperienced hopeful told him he would put his players in the best situation to succeed, he would ask if the means to that end included some veteran coaching help and an athletic QB.

I've heard Don Blackmon's name mentioned as the guy most likely to be promoted within the organization if Gray parts company. What's wrong with him?

Blackmon has been a D-Coordinator in Atlanta so he has experience, BUT he also as a ton to work with: Fletcher, Spikes, and Posey are all incredible athletes and players. They have started together for their third season now. They know each other inside and out. They are basically the strength of the Defense and most importantly, they are real T-E-A-M players.

As far as Stamer, Crowell, and Haggen, I really think that Bobby April has had more to do with their development than Blackmon.

Does the coach make the LBs OR do the LBs make the coach???

I hope this is Tim Krumrie....

I agree with Ganesh. Everyone knows where they are with him. Krummrie is a real no nonsence, straight shooter.

But, I'm not a Head Coach nor does the Head Coach listen to fans OPINIONS and that is all I'm puting up, an opinion.

OHHHHH and Backindaday,

I agree with your most of your assment, but TD didn't pick KillADrive. IMHO, again OPINION, Bledsoe and Williams picked him. There was a Pittsburgh connection, but Greg had no clue of how to plan an offense, not did he want a clue. They looked at Bledsoe and asked, who will best fit his strengths??? KillADrive was the "answer".

On the other hand, TD did hang Williams out to dry when they picked McGahee. Great pick, but not for the immediate needs. Williams needed a whole lot more to plug holes and TD wanted to gamble on the future and let McGahee wait for the next Head Coach.

Marvin Lewis and Greg Williams were considered two of the best D coordinators in the league while interviewing for the Bills' job.  It's been reported that it was Williams' ability to present a comprehensive, feasible plan for the team that impressed the GM into hiring him. 

Personally, I think it was half a case of Scotch, a box of Cubans, and a back-rub. 

442581[/snapback]

I think TD was asked to go the cheap route by RWS.....He did not want to

pay Lewis the 2M per year that he demanded (being a high profile D

coordinator who had just won the superbowl). Rather GW was ready to

work for peanuts (something like 800K per year) to just get a shot at a HC

job....That is where TD made the mistake....and that cost him 3 years....