Fuel cost in america

cromagnum

HI folk's, again you all have a good site, yeah even the political board I rather read this board then some other's...Other board's have to much left right fight and lack knowledgeable and insightful reading..... My question is what if anything can the gov't do to address the growing fuel price's....We have seen the price go from$1.10 to $3.20 a gallon in 4 year's.... This happened before and the gov't stepped up to the plate and addrressed the problem successively...I was young but I remember the spike in the 70's, and the fix higher M.P.G. between the gov't and datsun better fuel economy and the price went down.....short spike in fuel price's in 91 due to the gulf war went up to $1.38 with in a year $ 1.10 stayed that way to the summer of 2000 ,went up $1.38 I think the fix was releasing the reserve's political move for gore probable? Since that point and the war in iraq it has gone up and the only solution's were drill in alaska, shotdown due to the enviroment? isn't that a longterm project meaning result's 10 year's away, hydrogen like the idea, again longterm 30 year's maybe? higher m.p.g. proposed shotdown in congress? due to the economy.... okay do they try that one again because the economy is allright and goodluck to the dealership's selling those tank's... I believe as long as were in iraq, and china is america's walmart ... world demand and opec retalliating? due to the war in iraq... The gov't need's to provide afeasible and expedient solution to the table ,least that's what I hope for.... as for my contribution to cut back on fuel, less driving, bougt a woodstove, no way was I going to pay double or triple on homeheating oil this year that would be almost $2000 more than last year...Or this is the way it is now and just expect fuel to remain three times as high and that was then this is now mentality is the best way to approach the issue.... I think I will remain optimistic about the issue and see what transpires in congress.... Because this winter is going to be expensive for people to the point of decision's being proposed and made......any idea's to this issue

HI folk's, again you all have a good site, yeah even the political board I rather read this board then some other's...Other board's have to much left right fight and lack knowledgeable and insightful reading..... My question is what if anything can the gov't do to address the growing fuel price's....We have seen the price go from$1.10  to $3.20 a gallon in 4 year's.... This happened before and the gov't stepped up to the plate and addrressed the problem successively...I was young but I remember the spike in the 70's, and the fix higher M.P.G. between the gov't and datsun better fuel economy and the price went down.....short spike in fuel price's in 91 due to the gulf war went up to $1.38 with in a year $ 1.10 stayed that way to the summer of 2000 ,went up $1.38 I think the fix was releasing the reserve's political move for gore probable? Since that point and the war in iraq it has gone up and the only solution's were drill in alaska, shotdown due to the enviroment? isn't that a longterm project meaning result's 10 year's away, hydrogen like the idea, again longterm 30 year's maybe? higher m.p.g. proposed shotdown in congress? due to the economy.... okay do they try that one again because the economy is allright and goodluck to the dealership's selling those tank's... I believe as long as were in iraq, and china is america's walmart ... world demand and opec retalliating? due to the war in iraq... The gov't need's to provide afeasible and expedient solution to the table ,least that's what I hope for.... as for my contribution to cut back on fuel, less driving, bougt a woodstove, no way was I going to pay double or triple on homeheating oil this year that would be almost $2000 more than last year...Or this is the way it is now and just expect fuel to remain three times as high and that was then this is now mentality is the best way to approach the issue.... I think I will remain optimistic about the issue and see what transpires in congress.... Because this winter is going to be expensive for people to the point of decision's being proposed and made......any idea's to this issue

440582[/snapback]

First, see Wacka's post.

Second, why does the government have to do anything? Whenever the government "does" something, I start getting all weak-bladdered. How about we see what the market does in response to this increase?

Imagine the average consumer's solution to this. Commutes in a Ford Explorer getting say 12 miles per gallon. Switches to Prius that gets 60 miles per gallon. Problem of gas increase solved. By the consumer. No government intervention necessary.

How about the CA govt take all that additional tax money they're getting from the spike (and it has to be a huge amount) and use it to finally finish the reconstruction of Laguna Caynon Rd so it no longer takes me 45 minutes to get to work.  :doh:

440623[/snapback]

Oh sure, its all about Me. Me me me me me. :D

First, see Wacka's post.

Second, why does the government have to do anything? Whenever the government "does" something, I start getting all weak-bladdered. How about we see what the market does in response to this increase?

Imagine the average consumer's solution to this. Commutes in a Ford Explorer getting say 12 miles per gallon. Switches to Prius that gets 60 miles per gallon. Problem of gas increase solved. By the consumer. No government intervention necessary.

440618[/snapback]

Return key yeah I use that on my royal typewriter,wich is appropiate for my responce.... Remember the stories from older generation's comparing today's price's with yesterday's ....I like the 80 cent's a candy bar , I remember when I was a kid, 1945 they cost 10 cent's , a sixty year span.... I was talking to a 18 year old kid at the gas station and told him I remember $1.20 a gallon gas it cost about $25.00 to fill the tank, and to heat my house use to cost me $600.00 today $2000.00 ,I am sure he will respond when was that in the 80's, and I will respond yeah 80's 90's early 2000's yeah about 4 year's ago....Excuse the rant and lame humor, my point is sudden increase, not long and gradual increase ....Your example of the consumer's demand changing the market gradually will lower fuel cost gradually.....Sometime's intervention is necessary, if this is possible in this situation,maybe there is nothing that can be done and we well accept the cost as permanent and wait for the prius van to haul my material's and tool's uhhuh that's coming, better invent my clubbed squeezed cat bio fuel combustion motor, so I can get my gas bill for my work truck under $200.00 a week...All jokeing aside I sure would like to see some kind of responce or as you said the market will solve the issue.... dear automaker's please make a 1 ton fuel efficient van that 4 year's ago cost me $60 a week to operate and now cost $200 ........

Lexus has the RS hybrid truck at 35MPG. Other automakers have trucks and vans in development.

441218[/snapback]

I like that idea. We should all run out and purchase a Lexus. Two, if one has a family. While I am out, I will need to pick up 2 Priuses for my teenage daughters.

This will be my contribution to rising fuel prices.

OK, back to the non-elitist real world.....

There were people trapped in New Orleans because they didn't have the money to escape, let alone buy a Lexus.

I am not calling for government intervention, but certainly you can offer up a few suggestions for the poor masses to save on energy other than the above.

Or, maybe you cannot.

Read this thread, in particular posts by me, phillburger1 and Crap Throwing Monkey.

Only place where government is involved is in causing uncertainty due to our Middle East involvement. But fundamental reasons are gasoline demand crossing the supply limit in the US in 2005. We were on the edge in 2004. Stop advocating govt. intervention in markets.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=28164

How about the CA govt take all that additional tax money they're getting from the spike (and it has to be a huge amount) and use it to finally finish the reconstruction of Laguna Caynon Rd so it no longer takes me 45 minutes to get to work.  0:)

440623[/snapback]

Sorry, we still have illegal aliens who require free health care. That's more important than making sure taxpayers get to work. B-)

Sorry, we still have illegal aliens who require free health care.  That's more important than making sure taxpayers get to work.  B-)

441433[/snapback]

That's right, what the heck was I thinking? Also their children (not born here) should be allowed to pay in state tuition prices. We must cater to them, because who is going to pick my lettuce? 0:)

How about the PEOPLE doing something about the fewking gas prices by reducing consumption? You know, supply and demand? Even simple things like refusing to "run out to the store" 2-3 times a week could make a difference in terms of conservation.

What the US needs is a "Manhattan Project" to develop alternative energy sources to get our country to energy independence.  It is no crazier than JFK setting a goal of a man on the moon.  It will take a government energy policy that is not co-written by the major oil companies.

441231[/snapback]

The president's hydrogen fuel project, is the project for the future.... I know next to nothing about it, sound's like a great alternative....Supposedly no pollution out the exhaust, mid east oilneed's greatly reduced, I love the idea....The idea going to work, with all the necessary changes, refitting gas station's, autoplant's, etc...President carter had energy issue's to deal with,and I remember he proposed alternative's, the one we used right away was the sweater,higher mpg vehicles, and reduced demand, price's came down...As for his and other people's alternative idea's some of them are around solar car's like the one's they put around mit in the 80's have turned into the prius, excellent still took 25 year's ....As for me buying fuel efficent lexus work van's, prius hybrid, right now unaffordable, hell I bought a woodstove to save money and I will, except the cordwood price has jumped $120.00 a cord to $300.00 plus....workingman's blue's...firewood the new blackgold,get ya coming and going, I wonder what the price of plywood will reach due to the gulf storm... Anyway back to oil issue it look's like we will ride this one out untill enough of the public say otherwise, it appear's...The cause of the spike to me is the iraq war, dammed if we do dammed if we don't at this point, That is my opinion, price of war when that culture control's the oil ...Just like the wood dealer seen the oppritunity to up the cordwood price from $120.ooto $300.00 a cord, plywood will do the same similar to what happened in andrew what was the price then $50.oo a sheet ..Yeah I know it's a whine ... what are the remedies to bring the cost down,

How about the PEOPLE doing something about the fewking gas prices by reducing consumption?  You know, supply and demand?  Even simple things like refusing to "run out to the store" 2-3 times a week could make a difference in terms of conservation.

441450[/snapback]

Yeah I cut down on the number of clients I go to see. My gas bill was cut in half last month. Then I got today's commission statement and it was cut in half too. Damn, I'm stupid. 0:)

But seriously, it amazes me how people drive. We have alot of hills here in OC and I have people flying past me up the hills in their monster SUVs. Here in SoCal we love our cars but this weekend I'm walking to the local sports bar to watch the game. It's not much but it's a start. And oh BTW I am now having more clients come to me for meetings, fuel is still being used, but not mine. And yes eyrn, it's still all about me, me, me.