Jay Mohr article on CNNSI

duey

Not only is the guy a really fun comic (his standup routine is a killer), but his weekly article on CNNSI is pretty good too. This week he rips the WNBA, and then follows that with this...

Five things I think Peter King should have thought he thunk

1. I think Javon Walker wouldn't have injured his knee if he had been stretching and practicing with his team all summer.

2. I think it is time for New Yorkers to stop expecting Chad Pennington to be Joe Namath. Pennington is simply an above average NFL quarterback

3. I think that Eli Manning is getting a bit of a free ride, especially in comparison to the beatings Pennington takes in the press.

4. I think I prefer the ESPN Sunday night crew to Madden and Michaels on Monday night. A lot less babbling and a lot more data and strategy.

5. I think a Venti Starbucks black coffee, no matter where you go, is always hot and delicious. Stop fooling around with the other drinks.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...orts/index.html

Nice job Jay...though I can't stand the Sunday Night blowhards either!

:angry:  I didn't realize Namath was anything more than that.

440320[/snapback]

You know what...that's an excellent point, and one that I've been making for years.

My father-in-law is a season ticket holder for the Jets since 1968, and he thinks that Joe Willy was one of the best ever. Without wanting to start family trouble, I've always maintained that Joe was a good QB who was on a very good team that had one great season.

Talk about a guy that has made a career off of one game. Wow.

And now I'm in the position to tell my father-in-law that Chad is nothing more than an average QB on a pretty decent team. And to make matters worse, Chad seems to be pretty brittle. My predicition is that the Jets will have a new starting QB by 2007.

You know what...that's an excellent point, and one that I've been making for years.

My father-in-law is a season ticket holder for the Jets since 1968, and he thinks that Joe Willy was one of the best ever.  Without wanting to start family trouble, I've always maintained that Joe was a good QB who was on a very good team that had one great season.

Talk about a guy that has made a career off of one game.  Wow.

440339[/snapback]

Duey, I must disagree with both you and your father-in-law. :doh:

Namath was not one of the greatest QBs ever, but he made a guarantee and backed it up in possibly the biggest upset of all time. He was the first QB to throw for 4,000 yards in a season (in 1967), but he's also the only HOF QB to have more INT's than touchdown passes.

He was simply a good QB, yes, but he didn't make his whole career on Super Bowl III, though at times (and to Jets Fan), it may seem that way.

Mike

Duey, I must disagree with both you and your father-in-law.  :doh:

Namath was not one of the greatest QBs ever, but he made a guarantee and backed it up in possibly the biggest upset of all time.  He was the first QB to throw for 4,000 yards in a season (in 1967), but he's also the only HOF QB to have more INT's than touchdown passes.

He was simply a good QB, yes, but he didn't make his whole career on Super Bowl III, though at times (and to Jets Fan), it may seem that way.

Mike

440665[/snapback]

Dude...I totally see your point, but check out this factoid. For about 10 years, say from late 80's to late 90's, the Jets would always show a highlight or two from their past on the "Jumbotron" during each game. I swear its true that the only highlights they would ever show with Joe Namath were of the Super Bowl win.

You're right. If anyone is to blame for this narrow point of view of his career its probably Jets fans.