Reading ESPN inside, I figure we lose Jerry Grey

NavyBillsFan

Im thinking if the Bills D stays strong and we dont lose any key players, we may finally lose Grey next season. He should get a HC spot. But, Dom Capers is going to get canned down in Houston. Thats one of Tom's ole Poopsburg boys and he is ONE HELL OF A D COACH... I would love to see him up in Buffalo next year if this does happen.

I remember Dom taking that Pittsburgh D, which was trash, and turning it into one of the best ever in the NFL. Kirkland, Greene, Greg Lloyd, Chad Scott...

He did some wonders with those guys and did his own scouting also.

Not jumping the gun but I just dont see Grey getting passed up next year.

The question is will Dom Capers want to work for MM...Both capers and MM

were assistants in Pittsburgh...

Also, it really depends on which coaches are going to be fired and who will

likely hire a Jerry Gray (a virtual unknown rookie HC) as their HC...I think

the Houston Texans are the only team that will likely to hire Jerry Gray as

HC if they fire Capers...(Gray was the CB for the old Houston Oilers and

has connections to houston).

AFC East: Edwards could be in trouble, but I can't see the Jets going to another

rookie HC...May be a Dom Capers gets his shot in NY.

AFC North: Unlikely to see a HC change..Crennel is in his first year...and Marvin will get at least another year (even if he does not make the playoffs).

AFC West: Vermeil is in his last year...so that is a opening...If KC makes it

deep into the playoffs, I am not sure they are going to hand the team to a

rookie defensive coordinator. Norv Turner will get another year...Even if

he does not, Al Davis will want a offensive minded coach...SD and Denver

should still be safe.

AFC South: Fisher, Del Rio, Dungy are all safe...Capers could be in trouble.

Houston is one spot where they might go with a rookie HC, especially a fiery

defensive coordinator....though they need to fix their offensive philosophy...

Though again Greg Williams will have exactly the same connections as JG

and could be a competing candidate there.

NFC East: Parcells, Gibbs, Reid and Coughlin...all are set.

NFC North: Sherman could be in trouble...especially after losing his GM job

last year. Tice could be in trouble if they don't make the playoffs...especially

with all the infusion of talent on defense. Love is safe.

NFC South: Haslett will get one more year...

NFC West: Martz might be in trouble...and so could Holmgren...

Based on the situations, the only one that JG has a chance is with the

Houston Texans...

I feel good about our chances to retain Jerry Gray for another year.

NFC East: Parcells, Gibbs, Reid and Coughlin...all are set.

440039[/snapback]

If the Cowfags crash-and-burn, you can expect Fat Tuna to walk away. I getthe feeling his heart is not into coaching like it used to be. Not to mention having to deal with Jerry Jones all day.

PTR

1) No way Capers comes here as a d-coordinator. For one, he's been more of a superior to MM his whole career--while MM was on the lowest notch of the todem pole, Capers was the best assistant in the league. So I don't know how he would take to MM as the boss now. And Capers is strictly a 3-4 guy. I can't see us switching back to the 3-4 in light of all the success we've had in our current 4-3/"46" defense.

2) I think Gray flies under the radar again and doesn't get offered a job. Gregg Williams is probably the #1 defensive assistant out there right now. And based on experience alone, I would rank Monte Kiffin (TB), the Philly d-coordinator (Jim Johnson?), and possible LeBeau ahead of Gray. Plus, you have guys like Fassel and Butch Davis floating around biding their time until another opening. Gray would be a long shot for a HC spot. Of course, you never know--we hired an unknown defensive coach from Tennessee a few years ago. :angry:

I bet you someone like Dave Wannstedt gets another head coaching job before Gray does. Yes, even if Gray was white. The NFL - in general - loves to recycle its failed coaches because of their valuable "veteran experiences."

440153[/snapback]

If wannstedt continues to stink up the joint here losing to a 2nd level school

like Ohio university, then he will not get a chance....This time around he does

not have a crony like a Jimmy Johnson to allow him to become a HC

I wouldnt say that shanahan is a sure bet to stay on...hes been on the hot seat for a while, and if th borncos miss the playoffs, i dont see him being kept there...

440080[/snapback]

Shanahan is golden, and there is no way he gets canned. The Broncos need a QB, and the sooner they part ways with Plummer the better.

1) No way Capers comes here as a d-coordinator. For one, he's been more of a superior to MM his whole career--while MM was on the lowest notch of the todem pole, Capers was the best assistant in the league. So I don't know how he would take to MM as the boss now.

If Capers doesnt get offered another HC job, I'd say he'd take to MM as the boss very well. I dont think the majority of NFL coaches have a problem having to serve under another HC, provided they cannot find a head spot for themselves. Its a combination of:

a) continuing your income

b) being professional

c) showing the rest of the league your skills so that you can become a hot candidate the following year.

People are overlooking the most obvious landing spot for Gray: if Texas somehow effs up again and loses to OU, Mack Brown is done. Gray, a former Longhorn, would be the people's choice for the job, I think.

Fortunately for Brown, the Sooners look ripe for the picking this year.

I would rank Monte Kiffin (TB), the Philly d-coordinator (Jim Johnson?), and possible LeBeau ahead of Gray.

440099[/snapback]

LeBeau is in his late 60s. I think he had his chance in Cincinnati and won't get another one, even if the fault was more Mike Brown's than LeBeau's.

If the Cowfags crash-and-burn, you can expect Fat Tuna to walk away.  I getthe feeling his heart is not into coaching like it used to be.  Not to mention having to deal with Jerry Jones all day.

PTR

440060[/snapback]

I don't know about that. Parcells recently went through a divorce and needs JJ's money.

1) No way Capers comes here as a d-coordinator. For one, he's been more of a superior to MM his whole career--while MM was on the lowest notch of the todem pole, Capers was the best assistant in the league. So I don't know how he would take to MM as the boss now. And Capers is strictly a 3-4 guy. I can't see us switching back to the 3-4 in light of all the success we've had in our current 4-3/"46" defense.

2) I think Gray flies under the radar again and doesn't get offered a job. Gregg Williams is probably the #1 defensive assistant out there right now. And based on experience alone, I would rank Monte Kiffin (TB), the Philly d-coordinator (Jim Johnson?), and possible LeBeau ahead of Gray. Plus, you have guys like Fassel and Butch Davis floating around biding their time until another opening. Gray would be a long shot for a HC spot. Of course, you never know--we hired an unknown defensive coach from Tennessee a few years ago. :angry:

440099[/snapback]

I agree that Fassel and Davis would likely get HC jobs before Gray.

I also agree that most probably see Gregg Williams as the top DC out there right now, but it seems fairly clear that Washington is ready to promote him the minute Joe Gibbs retires, which I'm willing to bet is at the end of this season.

Also, don't forget about Dick LeBleau.

I don't know about that. Parcells recently went through a divorce and needs JJ's money.

440378[/snapback]

I would love to be a fly on the wall when those two are in a meeting. There is no way those two get along. NO WAY!

A GREEDY know-it-all paired with a plain know-it-all just dont fly in my book...

Same with Gibbs up in Washington.

If JJ and Snyder have it their way, NFL will be in a ton of trouble..... Its going to be wild to see who ole Paul crumbles to and I got a feeling its going to be the men with the money.....

I agree that Fassel and Davis would likely get HC jobs before Gray.

I also agree that most probably see Gregg Williams as the top DC out there right now, but it seems fairly clear that Washington is ready to promote him the minute Joe Gibbs retires, which I'm willing to bet is at the end of this season.

Also, don't forget about Dick LeBleau.

440383[/snapback]

Not Dick man, I think Dick had his chance and it was a bad one. People still talk about his time up there. The sad thing is he may just be a great coach. But coaching in Cin is just bad all around I think....

Throw in Arizona, Cleveland, and NO. Those are just teams that ruin people's reps...