I didn't think about it...

Whatever you think of my blowhard ass, I have been at this a long time. Back in the late 70's and early 80's, we still had the "Cold War". I taught NBC Defense to the military, and also taught a thing called Shelter Management for what was once called Civil Defense, and at the time was called Civil Preparedness to certain local civilians..

There used to be a system where places in every metropolitan area were pre-stocked with everything from rations and water and medicine, to radiation monitors. There were plans laid out not necessarily where people would automatically go, but more as to how many a shelter could hold for as much as a month, without any outside support. Local leadership, not just government, but business people used to being in charge were trained in at least the basics of managing a shelter situation over an extended period.

I wonder if maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to relook those old programs.

Whatever you think of my blowhard ass, I have been at this a long time. Back in the late 70's and early 80's, we still had the "Cold War". I taught NBC Defense to the military, and also taught a thing called Shelter Management for what was once called Civil Defense, and at the time was called Civil Preparedness to certain local civilians..

There used to be a system where places in every metropolitan area were pre-stocked with everything from rations and water and medicine, to radiation monitors. There were plans laid out not necessarily where people would automatically go, but more as to how many a shelter could hold for as much as a month, without any outside support. Local leadership, not just government, but business people used to being in charge were trained in at least the basics of managing a shelter situation over an extended period.

439758[/snapback]

I remember also.

As a Boy Scout we would get some stuff like medical supplies that were outdated so we could practice first aid.

At work here... We still have this mombo size can of petroleum jelly. I even remember reading in the emergency plan (circa 1959, when the installation was built) that there was to be two service revolvers and a shotgun on site.

:):D

Where those weapons ended up, I don't know? ;):D

Before we changed over our signs... All 4 underground pits had "Air raid" signs posted next to them too.

I guess we were a lot more prepared back then?

439758[/snapback]

Honestly, if the sh-- hits the fan in any area of the country, be it a natural catastrophe or man-made, beyond watching a TV which probably will not work, people have no idea what to do beyond jump in our cars and drive, drive, drive. And hope that we drive in the right direction. Waiting until the disaster strikes isn't the time to be telling everyone, "So here's what we're thinking...." You're exactly right, it would be a great thing to get this info out en masse to localities. Wanna spearhead it, Paul? ;)

The reason why those don't exist anymore? The Cold War ended (so the threat was entirely over, don't you know??) and it requires tax money. Lots of people just aren't down with that.

Honestly, if the sh-- hits the fan in any area of the country, be it a natural catastrophe or man-made, beyond watching a TV which probably will not work, people have no idea what to do beyond jump in our cars and drive, drive, drive. And hope that we drive in the right direction. Waiting until the disaster strikes isn't the time to be telling everyone, "So here's what we're thinking...." You're exactly right, it would be a great thing to get this info out en masse to localities. Wanna spearhead it, Paul?  ;)

The reason why those don't exist anymore? The Cold War ended (so the threat was entirely over, don't you know??) and it requires tax money. Lots of people just aren't down with that.

439945[/snapback]

People are not down with preventative maintenance... We are a throw away society.

People are not down with preventative maintenance... We are a throw away society.

439947[/snapback]

People are not down with spending regional tax money on local projects, unless it's of course our local area. This works on all scales (National (regional) to New Orleans (local) in the specific case of the levees), and it's one of the things that is really killing NYS. Politicians here run on platforms that say "I'll bring more money to Western New York," instead of saying "I'll make sure that money is spent in a way that's best for the State," because that's what gets them votes. So Western New Yorkers vote in the guy/gal who promises the most money for Western New York, ditto Central, ditto downstate, etc etc, so everyone in Albany is more focused on trying to grab cash for their region rather than figuring out where it would be most wisely spent...

439758[/snapback]

How well I remember! We not only knew where all our local shelters were but we all had survival stuff in our basements (I got spanked for opening the peanut butter), and many drills. I remember one time they had a big drill where they let us out of school to see how fast we could run home (that was stupid) and I was a scared 6 year old with a long walk home - we didn't have a car.

Today at 10:45 PST there's an earthquake / tsunami drill here. Fortunately I live WAY on top of a hill overlooking the lake so I only have to worry about the earthquake knocking me into the lake.

How well I remember!  We not only knew where all our local shelters were but we all had survival stuff in our basements (I got spanked for opening the peanut butter), and many drills.  I remember one time they had a big drill where they let us out of school to see how fast we could run home (that was stupid) and I was a scared 6 year old with a long walk home - we didn't have a car. 

Today at 10:45 PST there's an earthquake / tsunami drill here.  Fortunately I live WAY on top of a hill overlooking the lake so I only have to worry about the earthquake knocking me into the lake.

440296[/snapback]

How about a lahar from Mt. Rainier?

I remember one time they had a big drill where they let us out of school to see how fast we could run home (that was stupid)

440296[/snapback]

Now that is stupid, but also pretty damn funny. I can see you all running screaming down the road. Almost as good an idea as "duck and cover" :angry:

How about a lahar from Mt. Rainier?

440321[/snapback]

I'm too far away. Mt. Rainier looks really close but it's 85 miles away. A really bad Mt. St. Helen's explosion could do some harm in terms of volcanic ash but that's a ways too.

I'm in the most danger from the lodgepole pines in the back yard.

Now that is stupid, but also pretty damn funny.  I can see you all running screaming down the road.  Almost as good an idea as "duck and cover"  :doh:

440489[/snapback]

We were too damned scared to scream. But I do remember how scary it was and how good it felt to get home. That's what I get for going to a Catholic school in East Rochester. ugh. By the time I was 8 I was so inured to the fear that when a train derailed one evening in the village of Fairport, I assumed the noise I heard was the promised Russian invasion, and I didn't care one iota.

I smell the resurection of the Glowing Bunny Party.  :doh:

440475[/snapback]

GLOWING BUNNY!!!!

Not even.

It's "The Independant Bunny Party of America" (IBP). Always was a little confusing because the basic platform is to eliminate all bunnies, but since no one ever reads the small type we got by with it. I was supreme dictator at one point, but it took about 30 seconds for the rest of the morons to come up with assassination plots, and Ed quit being my food taster because he wanted to lose weight.

We were too damned scared to scream.  But I do remember how scary it was and how good it felt to get home.  That's what I get for going to a Catholic school in East Rochester.  ugh.  By the time I was 8 I was so inured to the fear that when a train derailed one evening in the village of Fairport, I assumed the noise I heard was the promised Russian invasion, and I didn't care one iota.

440691[/snapback]

I caught a little blip on History Channel last night about the old NIKE bases (no, that's not shoe distribution warehouses). We had one in Lancaster. Was interesting to see them open those concrete doors and stick the missiles out. I think it belongs to the town now, don't really know what happened to it.

(That was back in the early 60's, Dev)

GLOWING BUNNY!!!!

Not even.

It's "The Independant Bunny Party of America" (IBP). Always was a little confusing because the basic platform is to eliminate all bunnies, but since no one ever reads the small type we got by with it. I was supreme dictator at one point, but it took about 30 seconds for the rest of the morons to come up with assassination plots, and Ed quit being my food taster because he wanted to lose weight.

440712[/snapback]

That's right...I did ultimately usurp you, didn't I?

Some revolutionary dictator I am...I forgot I siezed power. :doh:

That's right...I did ultimately usurp you, didn't I?

Some revolutionary dictator I am...I forgot I siezed power.  :doh:

440717[/snapback]

I think that was the period where you were having your office appointed in rich corinthian leather.

I caught a little blip on History Channel last night about the old NIKE bases (no, that's not shoe distribution warehouses). We had one in Lancaster. Was interesting to see them open those concrete doors and stick the missiles out. I think it belongs to the town now, don't really know what happened to it.

(That was back in the early 60's, Dev)

440716[/snapback]

A friend and I used to drive around the boonies in WNY during the 70's and look at every grain silo and wonder if there was a missle in there. And oh yes, we were always stoned out of our minds. :doh:

GLOWING BUNNY!!!!

Not even.

440712[/snapback]

How the hell was I supposed to know the damn name of the party. I was always stuck in the dungeon...I mean kitchen cooking for you medal laden pompous bastards!

But alas I do look back fondly at that one glorious day when, in my honor, you declared the third Monday after the seventh full moon after tax day.................Retatta Day! Brings a tear to my eye.