LAMP--Wish me luck

Corp000085

I'm in fayetteville and the storm is projected to hit wrightsville beach (about 100 miles southeast of fayetteville). While it won't cause a katrina catastrophe for the beach areas, it will cause some damage down there. As for my town specifically, i expect a few downed trees and maybe some loose siding as a worst case scenerio. I just hope to not lose any shingles or siding because i haven't purchased a ladder yet. My house is clear of trees though, so nothing major will happen. Either way, i'll keep you posted if anything does happen.

edit: my school district was closed for tomorrow, so i'll be finishing off my leftover retatta and beast ice from the weekend. Hopefully college will be closed too so i won't have to come tomorrow night.

Thanks guys for the good words so far.

update: absolutely nothing is happening here. zero wind, no rain. You can just tell that the storm is close because the clouds are ZOOMING by fast. From all reports, fayetteville will just get hit with a lot of rain causing localized flodding. Our neighborhood is safe though. We're on a hill. At this point, i'm mainly concerned with the shingles, siding, and my landscaping. I do have about 10 bags of mulch on standby though... Again, all is well at this hour.

Thanks guys for the good words so far. 

update:  absolutely nothing is happening here.  zero wind, no rain.  You can just tell that the storm is close because the clouds are ZOOMING by fast.  From all reports, fayetteville will just get hit with a lot of rain causing localized flodding.  Our neighborhood is safe though.  We're on a hill.  At this point, i'm mainly concerned with the shingles, siding, and my landscaping.  I do have about 10 bags of mulch on standby though...  Again, all is well at this hour.

439728[/snapback]

too late for prep advice now... but if this is your first one, get ready for some really "cool" weather right before the storm... no way to describe it here, but right before Jeane and Frances, the "feel" of the weather gets really weird.

Steve, i've been in a couple hurricanes before. Last year, gaston blew through here really fast at night. It was pretty surreal to hear it storm and then it was done. Two years ago was isabelle, which was predicted to be huge, but it sorta fizzled. You are very right about the weather. I guess the only way to describe it is the way it feels in buffalo like right before you KNOW its going to storm. You can just feel it. something in the air. It's like that, but its warm.

Also, the winds are incredible. Not only are they strong, but they're unrelenting. It's surreal to see the clouds go by, and to play football in it is something else. During isabelle, my frined and i played catch in the back yard of our apartment complex. We were able to throw the ball just fine, but when we threw it above the building line, it was like the ball was shot out of the air like a balloon.

too late for prep advice now... but if this is your first one, get ready for some really "cool" weather right before the storm... no way to describe it here, but right before Jeane and Frances, the "feel" of the weather gets really weird.

439730[/snapback]

That's probably the really low barometric pressure and wierd updrafts.

I love that creepy-assed feeling of impending doom.....

If you have roof turbines take them down, if you have shutters they should be up. We went through Katrina when it was Cat.1 and the news said "no big deal'. Wrong. 80 mph wind will do more damage than you think.

I'm sure you have everything else done that you can, so batten down the hatches and bunker up

Good it's clear of trees around your house.

My words of wisdom:

Get as much ice as you can in coolers.

Don't open your refrigerator if the power goes out.

Get water into containers if you can't buy it anymore.

Stay safe.

439637[/snapback]

Fill your bath tub and garbage cans with water NOW so you can flush toilets if power is lost (water authority might lose power and won't be able to pump water). I learned this when we lost power for a few days in Isabelle two years ago.

Agree on the ice, too.

Ok, we f=illed bathtubs last night, took in all outside furniture, the flag, and the grill... put the plants in the direct path of rain. The worst thing that's happened so far on the block is that someon'e basketball hoop (the kind with the sand weight on the bottom) tipped over. The only thing that's pissing me off is the outside landscaping. We don't have gutters here (its apparently a southern thing), but we do have one of those rain block things above the doorways... well, this causes a concentrated shower of water to fall in certain areas, one being the mulched area next to the front door. It's a lake now. Anyhow, things are still ok here, although the storm isn't expected to make landfall till later today. I'll post updates as long as we have power and/or cable service (internet is time warner cable, tv is done through directv). Based on the other hurricanes we've been through, directv has been a rock and has not lost connection. I guess it has to do with the fast moving clouds as opposed to the thick stationary clouds during a big rain storm. This storm will give me time to improve my madden 06 superstar though. he plays for the jags, so i need to make him good enough to demand a trade to buffalo.

Ok, we f=illed bathtubs last night, took in all outside furniture, the flag, and the grill...  put the plants in the direct path of rain.  The worst thing that's happened so far on the block is that someon'e basketball hoop (the kind with the sand weight on the bottom) tipped over.  The only thing that's pissing me off is the outside landscaping.  We don't have gutters here (its apparently a southern thing), but we do have one of those rain block things above the doorways...  well, this causes a concentrated shower of water to fall in certain areas, one being the mulched area next to the front door.  It's a lake now.  Anyhow, things are still ok here, although the storm isn't expected to make landfall till later today.  I'll post updates as long as we have power and/or cable service (internet is time warner cable, tv is done through directv).  Based on the other hurricanes we've been through, directv has been a rock and has not lost connection.  I guess it has to do with the fast moving clouds as opposed to the thick stationary clouds during a big rain storm.  This storm will give me time to improve my madden 06 superstar though.  he plays for the jags, so i need to make him good enough to demand a trade to buffalo.

439997[/snapback]

Maybe FEMA will give you a debit card for a few grand and you can buy some mulch and some good beer.

Just had a "Severe Weather Report" on the local news. They showed sustained winds in Wilmington at 36 with tropical storm gusts to 55 right now. It sounds like it's starting to pick up. I know that you can't live in Wilmington and not know how to prepare, so I'll spare you that, but just take it easy. It's crawling along so I'd expect you guys get more flooding than wind damage. High tide is going to be a little scary I bet.

Just an FYI, but NC has issued mandatory evacuation for a couple counties up north of you, Dare and Currituck - they're calling for 10-15" of rain in those areas with storm surges 6-10' up there.

We don't expect any real problems here. 30-50 mph sustained with gusts to 50-65 and 1-3" of rain with tidal flooding. I guess there's a reason why these build waterfront homes on pilings afterall, eh? ;)

Stay safe and make the best of it.