Was Willis's improved running inthe 2nd half

Preston held his own, but was not as strong as CV. He certainly wasn't opening holes for WM to run through; but he was tying up his man, and a few times clearly winning that battle.

I'd say Houston was wearing down, both physically and mentally. By the end of the mid-game they respected JP, and this opened more room to run as well.

It seems something changed for Willis in the second half . I originally chalked it up to wearing down the DL in the 2nd half. But now I'm not so sure.

438589[/snapback]

It was two things, JP being effective, and the Texans wearing down.

They stacked the box early and it showed. After the 1st quarter with JP over 100 yards the Texans realized they would get torched if they kept bringing up the SS. From that point on the running game really opened up. It continued to get even better as the defense dominated the Texans offense. The Texans defense was on the field all game and it started to show late.

It was discussed on WGR55 and alot of callers noticed when Preston went in, the running game got better. Paul Hamilton said he noticed the same thing. Chris V was playing on one ankle so I'm sure Preston did the better job.

My game ball goes to Duke Preston.

It was two things, JP being effective, and the Texans wearing down. 

They stacked the box early and it showed. After the 1st quarter with JP over 100 yards the Texans realized they would get torched if they kept bringing up the SS. From that point on the running game really opened up.  It continued to get even better as the defense dominated the Texans offense. The Texans defense was on the field all game and it started to show  late.

438604[/snapback]

The biggest reason was JP's early effectiveness passing. That forced their 8th man out of the box, thus allowing McGahee to become more effective as time went on.

The biggest reason was JP's early effectiveness passing.  That forced their 8th man out of the box, thus allowing McGahee to become more effective as time went on.

438620[/snapback]

That is also why JP wasn't as effective in the second half. The Texans dared the Bils to beat them with JP, and well, they did... Then they adjusted to slow down the passing game and Willis made them pay for that...

It does bode well if teams have to respect JP's ability...

It was discussed on WGR55 and alot of callers noticed when Preston went in, the running game got better. Paul Hamilton said he noticed the same thing. Chris V was playing on one ankle so I'm sure Preston did the better job.

My game ball goes to Duke Preston.

438607[/snapback]

While he did better than I thought he would, the change was not due to him, but yes, the run game did start getting better around when he went in. I re-watched the game on TiVo, and was mainly studying the D-Line, and the O-Line, especially Duke.

I was shocked they did not try to pick on him; it really looked like the Texans did not notice the substitution. If he starts against TB, I think they'll abuse him. I was great experience for him to get, but he is definitely not an upgrade over CV.

he was running to the left all day. i dont think preston had much to do with it.

i think it had more to do with the texans stacking the run in the first half, cus they thaught we would be running McGahee all day. insted our coach was smart, and had losman step up and make some plays. that forced the defense to be more honest i the 2nd half. this resulted in McGahee picking up good yardage.

A others have mentioned, the Texans stacked the box early in the game daring us to pass. We were able to pass the ball effectively and, as a result, the Texans had to adjust.

If we can continue to take what the other team gives us, the passing game and running game should really be able to complement each other.

It seems something changed for Willis in the second half . I originally chalked it up to wearing down the DL in the 2nd half. But now I'm not so sure.

438589[/snapback]

No, I think the Texans made the adjustment to put an extra guy in the secondary because JP was in a roll in the first half. His completion percentage was in the high 80's if I'm not mistaken.

Willis isn't going to torch you for 40 yards gains repeatedly but JP can.

438589[/snapback]

It actually changed on the last two drives of the first half.

McGahee finished with 53 yards in the first half after starting with something like 8 carries for 8 yards