Nice post by SilverNred

erynthered

"No one's doing anything about this body, so I decided to use it as a photo op..."

:devil:  That (his ridiculous little "nobody's doing anything" report) is the precise moment I started actively rooting for the looters to cap his ass...

Fortunately, I've managed to avoid all but hearsay reports of the Celine Dion interview...

439432[/snapback]

That means you missed her psyche evaluation of the looters:

"Dese people, day never have anything in deir 'ole lives and they just want to touch these things in the stores! Let them! Let them feel what day rest of us 'ave."

(arms flailing the entire time and tears streaming down her face)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem isn't that they showed human suffering, the problem is that ALL they showed was human suffering without providing any hard information as to what was going on at the local, state, and federal levels to help people.

And the media just talks about the federal response like it's a hard fact that it was an unmitigated disaster when that is the exact opposite of the truth.

CNN isn't asking "Was the federal response slow compared to previous natural disasters?"  No, the graphic at the screen this morning was "Who is to blame for the government's slow response?"  This morning MSNBC's graphic was "Bush responds to criticism for sluggish federal response."  No one in the mainstream media has the balls to ask if what they're "reporting" is even true. 

When your job is to sit behind a desk and read a teleprompter, I don't know if I need your opinion on how disasters should be handled.

438750[/snapback]

Thank you. When I tried to say that, I was "unfairly going over the top bashing the press". You made it much more clear than I. The first few days of Katrina were being handled in vignettes. Part of that is because communications were destroyed, and the press didn't have anything else to cover. By the time there were means and available people to talk to them, the city story took on a life of it's own. News networks know ratings. They can all get by with it, because it IS news, but that doesn't mean anyone is getting the story. I would go as far as to suspect that some networks, and reporters deliberately stayed away from the operations people because any information relating to the overall response would dilute the human suffering angle. I could really start to get pricky about this, and it wouldn't be to defend anyone - though I'm sure it would be taken that way. It's like the foreign policy stuff we discuss here. One group reads, researches and studies before jumping in. The other two groups (both far left and right) jump in, period. With all the information sources we have available to us, there just isn't any excuse for not being at least moderately informed about virtually ANY issue. As with so many other things, conversations are usually more constructive when the discussees are talking from a common ground. And, a lot of times the facts are ugly, and definitely don't do well in our press. Fact is, people can live many days without food. They can live several days without much or even any water, if they behave themselves. That's just the way things are. One common thread I keep seeing here and elsewhere is not the rescue of people trapped by the flooding, it's the "rescue" of those at the Superdome. Just exactly who's fault is it that virtually nobody understands basic survival skills? Remember the shots from the Superdome before anything happened. People were specifically told to bring certain things. How many were empty handed? I wouldn't have been there in the first place, but were I, I would have arrived with some trippled up garbage bags containing anything I could find that would hold water. Being hungry is not the same thing as starving. Nobody is going to starve in a week. OK, flame away.

Thank you. When I tried to say that, I was "unfairly going over the top bashing the press". You made it much more clear than I. The first few days of Katrina were being handled in vignettes. Part of that is because communications were destroyed, and the press didn't have anything else to cover. By the time there were means and available people to talk to them, the city story took on a life of it's own. News networks know ratings. They can all get by with it, because it IS news, but that doesn't mean anyone is getting the story. I would go as far as to suspect that some networks, and reporters deliberately stayed away from the operations people because any information relating to the overall response would dilute the human suffering angle. I could really start to get pricky about this, and it wouldn't be to defend anyone - though I'm sure it would be taken that way. It's like the foreign policy stuff we discuss here. One group reads, researches and studies before jumping in. The other two groups (both far left and right) jump in, period. With all the information sources we have available to us, there just isn't any excuse for not being at least moderately informed about virtually ANY issue. As with so many other things, conversations are usually more constructive when the discussees are talking from a common ground.  And, a lot of times the facts are ugly, and definitely don't do well in our press. Fact is, people can live many days without food. They can live several days without much or even any water, if they behave themselves. That's just the way things are. One common thread I keep seeing here and elsewhere is not the rescue of people trapped by the flooding, it's the "rescue" of those at the Superdome. Just exactly who's fault is it that virtually nobody understands basic survival skills? Remember the shots from the Superdome before anything happened. People were specifically told to bring certain things. How many were empty handed? I wouldn't have been there in the first place, but were I, I would have arrived with some trippled up garbage bags containing anything I could find that would hold water. Being hungry is not the same thing as starving. Nobody is going to starve in a week. OK, flame away.

439475[/snapback]

You're such a <insert group here> apologist! ;)

Figures, you selfish crabby old geezer!  ;)

439520[/snapback]

Harrumph. (spit)

You know when I was a lad, we used to have to walk barefoot for three miles just to get to an episode of Lost. We did it without a remote, too. If we had a copy of a Victoria's Secret catalogue, or a WSJ oped, we considered ourselves lucky and we shared.

Spoiled youngun's. Bah.

I dunno if I'd want to share your pages-stuck-together copy of the Victoria's Secret catalogue...

wanna know what the secret is? so does everyone else! i can't turn the pages!

439551[/snapback]

So, when are you bringing your oriental ass down this way? Pretty soon, isn't it?

Harrumph. (spit)

You know when I was a lad, we used to have to walk barefoot for three miles just to get to an episode of Lost. We did it without a remote, too. If we had a copy of a Victoria's Secret catalogue, or a WSJ oped, we considered ourselves lucky and we shared.

Spoiled youngun's. Bah.

439528[/snapback]

Wah wah wah! That's all you crabby old geezers do anymore is whine about how you had it so rough. You know us youngun's have had to go through our fair share of hardships too! Did you know some of us didn't have cable until we were 5 years old?!? 5 frigin years old, I tell you! And let's not forget about Oxyclean, which didn't come out until the mid 80's. You know how many younguns had to suffer with acne before that?!? Cold-hearted geezer!

Wah wah wah! That's all you crabby old geezers do anymore is whine about how you had it so rough.  You know us youngun's have had to go through our fair share of hardships too!  Did you know some of us didn't have cable until we were 5 years old?!?  5 frigin years old, I tell you!  And let's not forget about Oxyclean, which didn't come out until the mid 80's.  You know how many younguns had to suffer with acne before that?!?  Cold-hearted geezer!

439556[/snapback]

What's really funny is that some of us geezers are still nailing your high school girlfriends.

I picked that up from Kirk. Picard is still making hand gestures towards a blue screen and getting a woody over the best boy. Made a lousy Ahab, too.

What's really funny is that some of us geezers are still nailing your high school girlfriends.

I picked that up from Kirk. Picard is still making hand gestures towards a blue screen and getting a woody over the best boy. Made a lousy Ahab, too.

439560[/snapback]

And if I were in your shoes, I would be doing the same. Kirk is such a great mentor for all us. As opposed to Picard...

And if I were in your shoes, I would be doing the same.  Kirk is such a great mentor for all us.  As opposed to Picard...

439594[/snapback]

Quote Shakespeare? Or nail a hot chick?

Let me think on that....

Nail hot chick. OK, I'm shallow.

One common thread I keep seeing here and elsewhere is not the rescue of people trapped by the flooding, it's the "rescue" of those at the Superdome. Just exactly who's fault is it that virtually nobody understands basic survival skills? Remember the shots from the Superdome before anything happened. People were specifically told to bring certain things. How many were empty handed? I wouldn't have been there in the first place, but were I, I would have arrived with some trippled up garbage bags containing anything I could find that would hold water. Being hungry is not the same thing as starving. Nobody is going to starve in a week. OK, flame away.

439475[/snapback]

No matter how obvious that is, no one wants to come right out and say it because it looks like you're blaming the victims for the hardships they endured. It's true, though. The Mayor told them to bring 3 days worth of supplies. That implies that they knew it would take up to 3 days for help to arrive. Why the outcry when that was the case?

Also, maybe there is something to the "entitlement society" concept. Those were poor people and you have to wonder how many spent their entire lives with the government providing for them? Even in the face of, to them, Armageddon they still basically said "OK, where's the government on this?" If my life were on the line, I'd be doing everything I could on my own to survive before hoping for any outside help.

Thank you. When I tried to say that, I was "unfairly going over the top bashing the press". You made it much more clear than I. The first few days of Katrina were being handled in vignettes. Part of that is because communications were destroyed, and the press didn't have anything else to cover. By the time there were means and available people to talk to them, the city story took on a life of it's own. News networks know ratings. They can all get by with it, because it IS news, but that doesn't mean anyone is getting the story. I would go as far as to suspect that some networks, and reporters deliberately stayed away from the operations people because any information relating to the overall response would dilute the human suffering angle. I could really start to get pricky about this, and it wouldn't be to defend anyone - though I'm sure it would be taken that way. It's like the foreign policy stuff we discuss here. One group reads, researches and studies before jumping in. The other two groups (both far left and right) jump in, period. With all the information sources we have available to us, there just isn't any excuse for not being at least moderately informed about virtually ANY issue. As with so many other things, conversations are usually more constructive when the discussees are talking from a common ground.  And, a lot of times the facts are ugly, and definitely don't do well in our press. Fact is, people can live many days without food. They can live several days without much or even any water, if they behave themselves. That's just the way things are. One common thread I keep seeing here and elsewhere is not the rescue of people trapped by the flooding, it's the "rescue" of those at the Superdome. Just exactly who's fault is it that virtually nobody understands basic survival skills? Remember the shots from the Superdome before anything happened. People were specifically told to bring certain things. How many were empty handed? I wouldn't have been there in the first place, but were I, I would have arrived with some trippled up garbage bags containing anything I could find that would hold water. Being hungry is not the same thing as starving. Nobody is going to starve in a week. OK, flame away.

439475[/snapback]

Where's the standing ovation smiley?....excellent post BiB.

No matter how obvious that is, no one wants to come right out and say it because it looks like you're blaming the victims for the hardships they endured.  It's true, though.  The Mayor told them to bring 3 days worth of supplies.  That implies that they knew it would take up to 3 days for help to arrive.  Why the outcry when that was the case?

Also, maybe there is something to the "entitlement society" concept.  Those were poor people and you have to wonder how many spent their entire lives with the government providing for them?  Even in the face of, to them, Armageddon they still basically said "OK, where's the government on this?"  If my life were on the line, I'd be doing everything I could on my own to survive before hoping for any outside help.

439620[/snapback]

Careful, we might offend someone.

Once again, flame on folks. You want to make it a race issue? Go for it. I actually have a lot more respect for the arguments from both sides against creating pockets of welfare societies. You had a big one in New Orleans, unfortunately it was in a place that got whipped in a worse case by a terrible event. Call me racist? OK, have at it. I'm not. But that's OK. It's not about "poor" people, either. It's about an entire created demographic looking for someone else to take care of them. Yes, they are predominantly black in this case, but 60 years ago, they were white Appalachians. It's a demographic that our system created, and has perpetuated. They expect to be taken care of, and we are still fostering that. I can't blame them, from that regard, after a few generations. I would not expect them to think anything else. No surprise to me they feel let down.

Also, maybe there is something to the "entitlement society" concept.  Those were poor people and you have to wonder how many spent their entire lives with the government providing for them?  Even in the face of, to them, Armageddon they still basically said "OK, where's the government on this?"  If my life were on the line, I'd be doing everything I could on my own to survive before hoping for any outside help.

439620[/snapback]

I actually had someone tell me, very upset, "Well, this just proves I can't rely on the government for anything. I'll have to take care of myself if anything happens."

My response was something along the lines of "And the problem with that is...?"

And this was not some third-generation welfare recipient, either. Very gainfully empolyed (contracted to, of all things, FEMA), drives a BMW. Still expects the government to "take care" of her. ;)

People are having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that the government can't protect them at all times and take care of everything for them.

The best part is referring to "The Government" like it's some ominous, shapeless blob (or maybe like "The Force" in Star Wars). "The Government" is made up of people, and those people need to be mobilized in order to help you and have to work very hard to help you if you need help. So don't sit on your ass and expect them to do all the work just because you had the misfortune of being in trouble.

It's just ridiculous how many people realized they were in trouble and responded by simply throwing their hands in the air and saying "Well? Where's Bush when I need him....?"

Well, probably about time for this stupid unenlightened Bush loving circle jerk to end. I had hoped that maybe a few here would listen to some of what was being said, and maybe look some stuff up. Not here, nor elsewhere. I am a blind Bush supporter because I didn't say right off people didn't eat for 4 days because he hates black people.

We must all vote democrat forever more. Isn't that what this is all about? I'm not even being political in that, other than I think it's disgusting. If this was on Clinton's watch, I doubt my comments as to the events would be any different - except probably or possibly for the press coverage. I can't say where they would have gone, but I have a feeling it may have been more of a fair shake. Dubbya isn't Bill, and "I feel your pain" through those cocker spaniel eyes goes much further on TV. Just different people, doesn't mean they are better than one another.