My props to the O-line

Rubes

My feeling before this game was that the Texans would possibly start out testing their front 7 against our O-line, and not moving the safety up to stack the box against the run. My belief was that the Texans might want to see if their front 7 were able to handle our O-line, since there were so many questions about the line. That way, they could keep the safety back and potentially make things more difficult for JP.

Instead, it looks like the Texans started out the way everybody else expected, with the safety up to stuff the run. Looked like it worked, too. However, JP came through in the clutch and played well, forcing the safety back into coverage.

This, I suspect, is exactly what our coaches wanted, and the Texans obliged. The real test at that point, however, was to see how our O-line responded against their front 7. They delivered. Willis started getting some nice holes, the yards piled up, and the chains moved. Didn't result in TDs, but it was the type of ball-control offense we needed to keep the game out of reach.

So, my props to the O-line to the way they handled the Texans front 7.

My feeling before this game was that the Texans would possibly start out testing their front 7 against our O-line, and not moving the safety up to stack the box against the run. My belief was that the Texans might want to see if their front 7 were able to handle our O-line, since there were so many questions about the line. That way, they could keep the safety back and potentially make things more difficult for JP.

Instead, it looks like the Texans started out the way everybody else expected, with the safety up to stuff the run. Looked like it worked, too. However, JP came through in the clutch and played well, forcing the safety back into coverage.

This, I suspect, is exactly what our coaches wanted, and the Texans obliged. The real test at that point, however, was to see how our O-line responded against their front 7. They delivered. Willis started getting some nice holes, the yards piled up, and the chains moved. Didn't result in TDs, but it was the type of ball-control offense we needed to keep the game out of reach.

So, my props to the O-line to the way they handled the Texans front 7.

438056[/snapback]

I shall drink a beer to the OLine tonight. 0:)

Might be a bit premature to read too much into the Texan game. Benny Anderson looked at times in the first half as if he wasn't sure he was even supposed to be on the field- and this was after the ball was snapped. On first view I'd say Teague and Gandy were consistent (and playing well), MWilliams was effective on most downs and Villarial was hampered by his ankle enough to have to give way to Preston who played well under the circumstances.

It was disappointing to see Cambell whiff some blocks that cost us, I've been a big fan of his improved play until yesterday. Shelton isn't the most consistent player in a Bill's uni either- he runs right past targets at times without any contact. And if I see 88 playing in one more running set I'm going to edit the film of his inept blocking myself and send it to OBD. He's just nowhere near strong enough to be playing at this level. The best thing we could probably hear on this front is "Ryan Nuefeld was suspended after the league discovered signs of steriod use....."

I need to go back and watch that bad stretch of offense (otherwise known as the second half) when Houston put an end to us moving the ball consistently. Our drives for the Bill's second half read something like 5 punts and a field goal, with maybe four of those drives ending with only one first down. That ain't power running or the sign of great offensive line work- if fact it makes it far easier to support the argument we WEREN'T effective rushing when we should have been able to.

The O Line to me was adequate to pretty good at best. They seemed to give Losman time to pass on most of the plays, but if Drew was still back there we would have had 4-5 sacks. There weren't a lot of holes for Willis to run through with the exception of perhaps 4 plays in the second half. There were a few untimely penalties. gandy played pretty well whenever I watched him.

Granted, this was the first game together, and we had a rookie in there for a large portion of the game playing out of position, but I am not sure if our O Line was reasonably good last year, or just Losman's escapability and running ability mask some glaring deficiencies. My guess is that we aren't good and we aren't bad, but with good coaching and play-calling, Losman's legs, and Willis' patience and smarts, that it will be good enough to win a lot of games.

I was on Gandy from the moment he signed & was named starting LT. So far I've been proven wrong & I'd like nothing better to continue to be proven wrong. Most of the game JP had as much time as he needed. That's all the O line's job is, and they were good in pass protection yesterday. If Bennie Anderson does not play at a high level, he'll be benched, because Preston is breathing down everyone's neck with the exception of M. Williams & Villarial (when healthy). If Gandy messes up Teague will be shifted to LT & Preston will be C, If Teague messes up, Preston will replace him, if Villarial is injured , Preston will replace him.

Right now, it looks like TD has struck 4th round gold for the 2nd time in 3 years. Preston will be a fixture on this line for years (or until he's too expensive & leaves as an UFA)

I was on Gandy from the moment he signed & was named starting LT.  So far I've been proven wrong & I'd like nothing better to continue to be proven wrong.  Most of the game JP had as much time as he needed.  That's all the O line's job is, and they were good in pass protection yesterday.  If Bennie Anderson does not play at a high level, he'll be benched, because Preston is breathing down everyone's neck with the exception of M. Williams & Villarial (when healthy).  If Gandy messes up Teague will be shifted to LT & Preston will be C, If Teague messes up, Preston will replace him, if Villarial is injured , Preston will replace him. 

Right now, it looks like TD has struck 4th round gold for the 2nd time in 3 years.  Preston will be a fixture on this line for years (or until he's too expensive & leaves as an UFA)

438164[/snapback]

I really believe that if Gandy messes up or goes down that the Bills will not hesitate to play Jason Peters at LT. I am not saying he will play great, or even be mediocre. I just think that is what the coaches will do.

I agree there is room for improvement on the O line, but they are far from the train wreck that many on this board predicted. Many were ready to run Gandy and Anderson out of training camp after a couple of days. If they have improved since then, what will they be like by mid season. I am not an eternal optomist, but I am hopeful that this line can get it together. They did in fact give Losman the best blocking he has ever had...just ask him.

I really believe that if Gandy messes up or goes down that the Bills will not hesitate to play Jason Peters at LT. I am not saying he will play great, or even be mediocre. I just think that is what the coaches will do.

438167[/snapback]

Maybe within the context that Gandy has been almost a highlight guy for us as far as consistent play so far this year. He looks a lot more like a guy who simply didn't fit another system right now than Anderson does. Granted Anderson got his assignment locked up in the run and pass games at times yesterday, but he also seemed to have no idea at all how to contribute on others. Gandy seems to have a clear vision of his role and I don't expect to see him moved/seated while there remains an "issue" to his right.

I was on Gandy from the moment he signed & was named starting LT.  So far I've been proven wrong & I'd like nothing better to continue to be proven wrong.  Most of the game JP had as much time as he needed.  That's all the O line's job is, and they were good in pass protection yesterday.  If Bennie Anderson does not play at a high level, he'll be benched, because Preston is breathing down everyone's neck with the exception of M. Williams & Villarial (when healthy).  If Gandy messes up Teague will be shifted to LT & Preston will be C, If Teague messes up, Preston will replace him, if Villarial is injured , Preston will replace him. 

Right now, it looks like TD has struck 4th round gold for the 2nd time in 3 years.  Preston will be a fixture on this line for years (or until he's too expensive & leaves as an UFA)

438164[/snapback]

Agree 100%, Harv - once Preston gets into the starting lineup, he's not coming out for a long, long time.

And that could happen sooner rather than later.

I think it's a bit too premature to come to any overall conclusions about the O-line, but I do think they did a nice job against the Texans. My belief is that the O-line in general improves as the season wears on, so I wouldn't draw too many conclusions until at least after the first four games. Anderson may well start doing better in the next few weeks, who knows.

I do think, however, that a lot hinged on how well they would respond to the Texans front 7, and they did get the job done well enough.