Something nobody is talking about

There were an awful lot of people screaming when the Bills let fat Pat walk.  I guess the front office knows more than you after all.  0:)

437997[/snapback]

1. You're already making a sweeping judgement about our run D and Pat Williams after the first week? Have you learned nothing from the 2003 Bills season?

2. I don't think it was ever "an awful lot of people screaming" to re-sign Pat for the money he wanted. A lot of fans were just sad to see him go, and were genuinely worried about our defense after losing such a key figure.

3. From what I hear, Pat Williams played very well against the Bucs and was not the reason why Cadillac torched the Vikes for that 71yd TD run in the fourth. Pat also recorded a sack.

Given that HOU's offense fell into the toilet, had a relative few amount of runs, inaccuracy and drops from their passing game, I'd reserve judgement on any D-lineman until a few games transpire. :(

438020[/snapback]

Speaking of dropped passes, did you see the Carr throw that hit Bradford in the back of the shoulder? Man, I would have ripped the WR a new one if I threw a seam pass dead on and he wasn't even turned around, AND, it hit him on the shoulder. Kind of a snapshot of the day for the Texans. 0:)

1. You're already making a sweeping judgement about our run D and Pat Williams after the first week? Have you learned nothing from the 2003 Bills season?

2. I don't think it was ever "an awful lot of people screaming" to re-sign Pat for the money he wanted. A lot of fans were just sad to see him go, and were genuinely worried about our defense after losing such a key figure.

3. From what I hear, Pat Williams played very well against the Bucs and was not the reason why Cadillac torched the Vikes for that 71yd TD run in the fourth. Pat also recorded a sack.

438032[/snapback]

1. Your are correct that making any sweeping judgment about the impacts of the loss of a very good player would be premature. However, given that 10 of 11 starters besides Fhat Pat are back and that few of the other starters (Adams, Milloy and Vincent) are well into the downhill sides of their career and even those three are coming off a Pro Bowl year, an injury but a good year, and a move to a less speed freak position that will rely on his mental rather than physical ability, this is a pretty good basis for a broad statement that one expects little drop-off from the Bills D. Further, the FACT that Phat Pat only lined up for less than 2/3 pf the Bills D snaps last year and we have two potential replacements in a former starter (who produced as a reserve last year) and a young player who was well-regarded enough to merit a first day draft pick, it is quite logical to expect the Bills to not miss even a good player like Phat Pat.

2. While most Bills fans saw all of this and were not concerned about losing PW, there were a couple of prominent print articles, a murmur on TSW and even PW himself saying his loss would be felt in a big way.

3. I am not surprised that PW played well (though in a losing cause) for MN, but it looks like TD was correct that PW even though he is a good player was not worth what it would have cost to resign him.

I wish him well and just like last year there will be a handfull of games where we lost because we did not stop the run, but even these bad outings will not mean the Bills should have spent a lot of $ for PW. Looking at the footba;; #s this was how it looked as the season began and yesterday]s game merely confirmed this.

There were an awful lot of people screaming when the Bills let fat Pat walk.  I guess the front office knows more than you after all.  0:)

437997[/snapback]

I loved Pat, but d-lineman shouldn't be as hard to replace as some think. When you have a dominant DT, Sam Adams, you can plug in another guy in there with no problems. Look at the old Tampa Bay teams, Sapp was the man and they always had another guy in there to plug in.

Besides, didn't look like Big Pat was much of an impact yesterday in Minnesota!!

I loved Pat, but d-lineman shouldn't be as hard to replace as some think.  When you have a dominant DT, Sam Adams, you can plug in another guy in there with no problems.  Look at the old Tampa Bay teams, Sapp was the man and they always had another guy in there to plug in. 

Besides, didn't look like Big Pat was much of an impact yesterday in Minnesota!!

As I said before, Fat Pat was NEVER the key to the D-line. When the Bills had dominating defenses, it was either Fat Ted or Phat Sam who was the key, and when Fat Pat was the key by default (2001 and 2002), the defense was horrible. I don't care what he does in Minny, but I'm glad for him that he got paid.

To me, if it leads to us being able to sign Clements, then it was the right move with PW. Otherwise yes,  I miss him. I do think that Edwards has improved his play greatly though.

438486[/snapback]

I see your point, but strongly disagree.

As FFS stated, Big Sam (a far better player than PW imo) is on the wrong side of 30. The Bills had a need to get younger up front. Edwards can play, and it would be very smart to find out if Anderson can. In essence, PW had to go (especially at that price).

The above is not to state that PW is not a good player. He is, but I much prefer taking the younger route.

Also, with an almost certain early pick in next years 3rd round, the Bills should truly have enough first day picks to fortify both lines with a continued infusion of young talent; that is if TD can keep away from the 160 pounders. :doh:

There may yet come a time this season when we will sorely miss Phat Pat.

10/30 - @ New England

11/13 - Kansas City

11/20 - @ San Diego

11/27 - Carolina

438042[/snapback]

There may also be many a times when we will miss a Bruce Smith,

a Jim Kelly and a Thurman thomas...it is time to move on.....players move

from team to team...teams have to play with their young players....

Edwards did ok.....Just as you guys keep harping about how the Texans

offense was crap, you have to give the benefit of doubt to Edwards and

Anderson to give them a chance to play one of these "Elite" offenses.

I am not surprised that PW played well (though in a losing cause) for MN, but it looks like TD was correct that PW even though he is a good player was not worth what it would have cost to resign him.

438109[/snapback]

yea, it certainly looks that way........after one freakin game against a rough looking offense!!

give it some time.......nothing has been proven as of yet.......no need to pat TD on the back for this non-move with nothing to back it up other then 4 quarters of football and your own biased view.......

Speaking of dropped passes, did you see the Carr throw that hit Bradford in the back of the shoulder?  Man, I would have ripped the WR a new one if I threw a seam pass dead on and he wasn't even turned around, AND, it hit him on the shoulder.  Kind of a snapshot of the day for the Texans. :doh:

438088[/snapback]

Bradford also made another major error, according to Troy Vincent in today's D&C, when he quit on his route during the long pass to Andre Johnson that Vincent intercepted. According to TV, he was keying on Bradford but when Bradford didn't run his route after the snap, TV left him alone and went to help out on Johnson. Carr was quoted after the game as saying that TV "must have known we were going that way or something." Now he knows why.

I see your point, but strongly disagree.

As FFS stated, Big Sam (a far better player than PW imo) is on the wrong side of 30. The Bills had a need to get younger up front. Edwards can play, and it would be very smart to find out if Anderson can. In essence, PW had to go (especially at that price).

The above is not to state that PW is not a good player. He is, but I much prefer taking the younger route.

Also, with an almost certain early pick in next years 3rd round, the Bills should truly have enough first day picks to fortify both lines with a continued infusion of young talent; that is if TD can keep away from the 160 pounders.  :doh:

438659[/snapback]

So you disagree that I liked and miss PW? Or that Edwards is doing well as his replacement? Or that it has the potential of freeing up money to be spent elsewhere?

'cause I agree basically with what you were saying here. :doh:

So you disagree that I liked and miss PW? Or that Edwards is doing well as his replacement? Or that it has the potential of freeing up money to be spent elsewhere?

'cause I agree basically with what you were saying here.  ;)

438903[/snapback]

No, I was addressing this: >>>>>To me, if it leads to us being able to sign Clements, then it was the right move with PW<<<<<<

I am thinking that he had to go even if the Bills fail to sign Nate.