In my opinion, the most important person to

ajzepp

....it's Mr. Jerry Gray. I love our defense. Most of you guys love it, too. It's easy to say that JP is the guy who really needs to come through this year for us, but do you REALLY think that if this team was built around the play of the QB that we would have taken this risk? I don't. Jerry Gray has a TON of talent on defense. We have a TON of money tied up on that side of the ball. So while JP definitely needs to do his job, I feel the burden of success this year rests heavily upon the shoulders of Gray.

I've said it before, and I know some of you have too, and that is the fact that JP needs to be Trent Dilfer this year....nothing more, nothing less. We all hope - maybe even expect - that he will be more than a Dilfer-type of talent, but it's our defense that needs to step it up. They stepped it up last year in a big way, and they need to take another step up this year. There is no reason why this team cannot be the Ravens of a few years ago. There is no reason why ANY team should be able to consistently move the ball on us.

Jerry Gray wants to be a head coach in this league. So far he's done a really good job for us, and I expect great things out of him this year. There is a lot of talent on our defense, and he needs to take what they are able to do talent-wise and make them even more potent by implementing sound, effective gameplanning week in and week out. If he can do that, then I don't think there is any team we can't beat.

GO BILLS

The biggest improvement I expect to see from the Bills D is to get OFF the

field on 3rd and longs....Last year those big first downs on 3rd and longs

killed us.....especially the last drives of Jacksonville and Pittsburgh comes to

mind.....

....it's Mr. Jerry Gray. I love our defense. Most of you guys love it, too. It's easy to say that JP is the guy who really needs to come through this year for us, but do you REALLY think that if this team was built around the play of the QB that we would have taken this risk? I don't. Jerry Gray has a TON of talent on defense. We have a TON of money tied up on that side of the ball. So while JP definitely needs to do his job, I feel the burden of success this year rests heavily upon the shoulders of Gray.

I've said it before, and I know some of you have too, and that is the fact that JP needs to be Trent Dilfer this year....nothing more, nothing less. We all hope - maybe even expect - that he will be more than a Dilfer-type of talent, but it's our defense that needs to step it up. They stepped it up last year in a big way, and they need to take another step up this year. There is no reason why this team cannot be the Ravens of a few years ago. There is no reason why ANY team should be able to consistently move the ball on us.

Jerry Gray wants to be a head coach in this league. So far he's done a really good job for us, and I expect great things out of him this year. There is a lot of talent on our defense, and he needs to take what they are able to do talent-wise and make them even more potent by implementing sound, effective gameplanning week in and week out. If he can do that, then I don't think there is any team we can't beat.

GO BILLS

435278[/snapback]

Sorry to disagree old friend, but once again, the Bills season (imo) will be determined by how well they are able to block.

There are stars on offense too. MaGahee can do it all. Moulds has something left, and I think that Evans is a future probowl player.

None this will matter if there is no time to execute. The Bills have went down the tubes in other seasons with top defenses for the same reason.

We can only hope for it to be different this year.

Sunday would be a great time to start! :lol:

Sorry to disagree old friend, but once again, the Bills season (imo) will be determined by how well they are able to block.

There are stars on offense too. MaGahee can do it all. Moulds has something left, and I think that Evans is a future probowl player.

None this will matter if there is no time to execute. The Bills have went down the tubes in other seasons with top defenses for the same reason.

Sunday would be a great time to start!  :devil:

435325[/snapback]

The world wouldn't be right if we actually AGREED, Bill :D

I guess the reason I feel the D performance is more vital than even our blocking ability is because the most important component of our offense is the running game.....and even though our line is frequently criticized, we HAVE been a very successful running team - both with T.Henry and Willis. Again, I just think that when you step back and take a look at what this team is DESIGNED to do, it's clear that our bread is buttered by the defense. That being said, I feel they bear the greatest burden with regard to being a dominant, game-changing unit.

Well then, let me be the first to say, I hope Jerry Gray doesn't get injured then.  He better make sure he wears that red jersey.

:D

435379[/snapback]

LOL, so true.....

The biggest improvement I expect to see from the Bills D is to get OFF the

field on 3rd and longs....Last year those big first downs on 3rd and longs

killed us.....especially the last drives of Jacksonville and Pittsburgh comes to

mind.....

435312[/snapback]

Absolutely....that's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. They've come a long way with regard to turnovers and several other key areas, but there are still crucial facets to the game that they need to tighten up on. I can't think of a better example than what you just said.

If Spikes has lost a step this team is belly up. No indication of that, but if so, kiss it goodbye.

2 cents.

435378[/snapback]

I agree...Spikes is our Ray Lewis in terms of being the heart of the D. He's definitely my favorite TD signing and I love having him on our team. The guy is a monster!

If Spikes has lost a step this team is belly up. No indication of that, but if so, kiss it goodbye.

2 cents.

435378[/snapback]

This is what troubles me the most. We are standing pat on the defense and assuming it will be as good or better.

Sometimes play declines. I see this risk more than I see potential improvement.

Personally, I'm more worried about Fletcher in this respect.

I'd definitely love to see more turnovers by our defense. Even on a bad day, JP is surrounded by enough talent to drive the ball for atleast a field goal. If we can start more drives past the 35 yard line, instead of in the shadow of our own goal post, the offense should be an instant success.

Sunday would be a great time to start!  :D

435325[/snapback]

The Bills went down the tubes against top D's in part because of the line but in large part due to the fact that Bledsoe's limitations are limitless.

GO BILLS

435278[/snapback]

I disagree. In all fairness, how can his unit get any better?

I say it's our putrid line.

End of message.

I disagree.  In all fairness, how can his unit get any better?

I say it's our putrid line. 

End of message.

435976[/snapback]

Well, people above have already given good examples.....As for our O-line, Willis would have projected out to around 1600 yds had he started every game, and JP clearly won't require the same protection that Bledslow needed. I just feel there are precedents for dominant defenses pretty much winning championships all by themselves....and I feel we're in the unique position of having a dominant defense.