some observations from last night

dave mcbride

Watson looked really good in that game - part of the "TE is the new WR" trend that's gripping the league. I wouldn't mention him in the same breath as Gates or Gonzalez just yet, but he's stepping up.

On a side note, how many TEs in this league have been named Ben, as compared to every other position? Watson, Utrecht, Troupe, Coates, Hartsock, Joppru, Steele, Zagorski, by a quick scan of NFL.com Compared to two total QBs, one RB, and no WRs.

That is incidentally, five of the least productive minutes of my life.

1. kerry collins was eerily bledsoe-like.  the poor ypa, the poor completion percentage, the immediately-giving-up on certain pass plays because of the lethal combination of a pass rush and his own immobility, and the occasional really nice deep pass play that makes you think he can win for you.

2. i see a key problem facing the bills that i took away from watching the pats offense. a good te is so important to an offense that wants to sustain drives and avoid pressure on the qb. i was really, really impressed by ben watson, and daniel graham is no slouch either. having those two intermediate targets is key to their success. the raiders appear to have no credible TE, and it showed in the second half. the bills don't have a decent TE either, and it will hurt them significantly, i fear.  too bad about everitt, although i doubt he would have done a whole lot this year anyway.

3. the raiders defense was much better last night than it was last year. it was good at stopping the run, and they did mount a halfway decent pass rush in the second half. ted washington is still a beast.

434751[/snapback]

I was lighting candles in church before that draft hoping we would get Ben Watson. He is going to be a great player. Runs a 4.4 40 and actually drew applause for his blocks from NFL coaches for some blocks he threw in practice for one of those all star games. Everyone was focused on Winslow that year and a few other TE prospects with gaudy numbers from teams that threw more often than Georgia did. A TE like that can give a defense fits. You can't cover him with a LB but if you play nickle too much, his blocking will kill you in the run game.