Wasted Money

SilverNRed

Star Tribune

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Before Hurricane Katrina breached a levee on the New Orleans Industrial Canal, the Army Corps of Engineers had launched a $748 million construction project at that very location. But the project had nothing to do with flood control. The Corps was building a massive new lock for the canal, an effort to accommodate steadily increasing barge traffic.

Except barge traffic on the canal has been steadily decreasing.

In Katrina's wake, Louisiana politicians and other critics have complained about paltry funding for the Army Corps in general and Louisiana projects in particular. But over the five years of President Bush's administration, Louisiana has received far more money for Corps civil works projects than any other state, about $1.9 billion; California was a distant second with less than $1.4 billion, even though its population is more than seven times larger.

The Industrial Canal lock is one of the agency's most controversial projects, sued by residents of a New Orleans low-income black neighborhood and cited by an alliance of environmentalists and taxpayer advocates as the fifth-worst current Corps boondoggle. In 1998, the Corps justified its plan to build a new lock -- rather than fix the old lock for a tiny fraction of the cost -- by predicting huge increases in barge traffic.

In fact, barge traffic on the canal had been plummeting since 1994, but the Corps left that data out of its study. And barges have continued to avoid the canal since the study was finished, even though they are visiting the port in increased numbers.

But, But, But.....

Bush Bad!!

Here, I'll try something the left is good at doing

Nagin & Blanco lied and people died, Nagin & Blanco lied and people died, Nagin & Blanco lied and people died, Nagin & Blanco lied and people died, Nagin & Blanco lied and people died, Nagin & Blanco lied and people died.........

Sounds like political blackmail here.

Bush cuts them and comprimises their (Corps) pet projects and special interest making (gasp!) bureaucrats to make unwise spending choices.

So what they are basically saying is that Bush cut them to teach them a lesson?

That lesson being putting NOLA in peril?

I knew Bush was spiteful... But, not this spiteful!

What a pretty effed up situation between the two.

Trying to indicate a squeeze situation here:

Bush=Bad<People of NOLA>Corps=Bad

Sounds like political blackmail here.

Bush cuts them and comprimises their (Corps) pet projects and special interest making (gasp!) bureaucrats to make unwise spending choices.

So what they are basically saying is that Bush cut them to teach them a lesson?

That lesson being putting NOLA in peril?

I knew Bush was spiteful... But, not this spiteful!

What a pretty effed up situation between the two.

Trying to indicate a squeeze situation here:

Bush=Bad<People of NOLA>Corps=Bad

434095[/snapback]

Had there not been cuts in the last year look what could have been done in one year, really. One year, give me a break............

Lets just ask Mother Nature what she thinks, shall we? <_<

La I presume has been getting more money because the amount of people dirsectly impacted is greater because of what they are doing there with regards to the river and the city?.

Special interest is also another factor.

That special interest has been hitting the Corps over the head that shipping interests will be leaving this country for geener pastures in South America, along the Amazon... Where interests there can get their product to market cheaper. Possibly making the US's claim as "Bread Basket of the world" passe.

Had there not been cuts in the last year look what could have been done in one year, really.  One year, give me a break............

Lets just ask Mother Nature what she thinks, shall we? <_<

434098[/snapback]

No... I agree in the grand scheme you are right. Who knows what they have been trimming in the past year and the short run?

Who do you think will go first... Me operating the sluice gates in S. Chicago 24/7/365 or some engineer's grandiose pet projects?

I have no doubt it will be me...

I have mentioned before that you just don't throw up concrete and earth and say see ya... It is obvious that the Corps will do that... And that is wrong.

As long as I have known the Corps, it has always been the economy of the nation.

They have claimed to be more environmentally friendly in recent years. Still the economic special interests drive the agency.

You can't dispute that the economic strategy they have followed enabled the US to maintain it's economic dominance in the world market.

Believe it or not, protecting property damage comes second to them.

They (USACE) won't say it... They will say everything is in balance.

Not that it is related?

But do people know that there is an Inland Waterway Trust Fund ?

Every commerical shipper that operates on the inland waterways is charged a .19 per gallon fuel surcharge.

This money is intended for lock modernization and waterway upkeep.

434130[/snapback]

And I'll bet every penny of it is used properly according to the rules laid out by the trust... <_<;)