Bills win the coin toss

Beerball

I believe the way it works is that the coin-toss winnner picks which goal to defend first, which passes the choice of first-half kick or receive to the toss loser.  The toss loser then chooses to receive to start the game.  The order of choice (goal vs. kick/receive) is reversed in the second half, so the toss winner then gets to choose to receive for the start of the 3Q.

. . . And I think that's exactly what the link to the Rules posted by stuckincincy says.  Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

433797[/snapback]

No, that's not quite right. The coin toss winner gets to decide whether they want to select direction (which goal to defend) OR possession (kick/receive). The loser gets to decide one of those in the second half.

What has happened before is that the winner chooses "possession" in the first half and decides to kickoff. Then in the second half, the toss loser chooses "possession" and elects to receive. Then the announcers get confused because they don't understand the rules at all. <_<

The rule is the same as it was when I officiated highschool football games.

EDIT: Unless you were just making an example in your post, in which case it's correct. Just wanted to clarify that the toss winner doesn't HAVE to decide which goal to defend.

CW

Hmmm...I thought the team that lost the coin toss got the choice to either kick-off or receive in the 2nd half, so if you win the toss and elect to kick off, you will probably have to kick off to start the 3rd quarter...no? <_<

433719[/snapback]

It's amazing how much we forget with 8 months away from football. Losing the coin flip is the best way to start a game, because the first drive of the second half is huge, IMO, especially at home. At home, I want our defense on the field first when the crowd is jacked up, then our offense on right after halftime when half the crowd is still in the bathroom.

I'd like to see the coin get flipped into that air, and when the referee's head is pointed skyward watching the arc of the coin's trajectory, one of the Bills captains savagely knee the bastard in the groin as pre-emptive payback for the screwing the refs will undoubtedly be giving us again this year.