Debit Cards for Victims of Hurricane Katrina

thanes05

Well, now the debit cards have been cancelled.

By the way I have heard a lot of interviews with evacuees over the past few days, and I haven't heard one say anything about buying a forty or some crack, but they have ALL said they want to work and they want to work ASAP to keep from going nuts (and broke) in the shelters.  Many of these people were working before the hurricane...some are professionals, some business owners, some just plain ole blue-collar folk and, yes, a whole bunch of people living at or below poverty and just getting by.  I certainly think that the majority of them are not welfare leeches...or bums or other pond scum.  The leeches that seem to suck the MOST from our society and our economy are not the poor.  But, that's another thread.

435502[/snapback]

Good on the first part.

On the second, yeah you believe the guy asking for a quarter is gonna buy lunch with it if you give him one , don't you? :D

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good on the first part.

On the second, yeah you believe the guy asking for a quarter is gonna buy lunch with it if you give him one , don't you?  :D

435506[/snapback]

My glass is half full. So shoot me.

But before you do show me where you can buy lunch for a quarter.

By the way I have heard a lot of interviews with evacuees over the past few days,

435502[/snapback]

Yadda, yadda, yadda........so what you heard on TV is ALL that's going on. Listen if you interview enough people you can show enough people with views that match your view. Michael Moore is a master of that.

I'm not saying that everyone is going to buy drugs and booze with the $2000. Probably a small amount, but I want a better say in where my money is spent. Hell you give me $2000 I guarantee a C-Note of that is going to a good bottle of wine. It would make me feel better after going through what they went through.

Huh good question...and on the flip side should you expect me to pay for your house and stuff instead of mine?

Look I do feel REALLY REALLY bad for you and your family but why did you buy a house there if you knew it could be destroyed and you couldn't afford insurance?

BTW...My parents were in Charlie last year and have yet to get any money from the gov't.

Also insurance companies don't lable areas flood zones or not that is upto the gov't to survey the land and determine.  Just because a house was flooded and not in a flood zone doesn't mean there was some kind of scam those areas are usually based on 100 year flood maps.

It is surprising that it would cost $500/mo for flood insurance for a house that's not in  a flood zone.  I do know flood insurance isn't cheap but it's usually about the cost of regular home owners insurance.

435149[/snapback]

First off, the insurance comany did say we would not have to worry about our house flooding. Being based on the highest storm surge recorded, it was not possible for our house to flood. To bad nobody ever thought there could be a hurricane that could be more damaging then Camille, which was a level 5 hurricane that hit the MS gulfcoast in 1969. From what I've been told, the flood zone maps were based on recent observations.

Second, only 25% of the coast was in a flood zone. And as I stated earlier, the cost of flood insurance, if not in a flood zone, is over 500 dollars on the MS Gulf Coast! And when your told by your insurance company that you have nothing to worry about, what are you going to do? Pay for insurance? Or save a large amount of money?

I don't know, this is just like giving a homeless person $5 and expecting him to buy food with it.  Whoops that's exactly what we're doing.  Some people are going to use that money for drugs, booze, etc. and I don't appreciate my tasx money being used for that.  How about coupons that can be used for food, water, clothes, shelter?

435158[/snapback]

I didn't know drug dealers take debit/credit cards? Who do they deal with... Take Amex?

Do they got one of those plate slidy/imprint things attached to a rope on their belt?

:D:devil:

I didn't know drug dealers take debit/credit cards?  Who do they deal with... Take Amex?

Do they got one of those plate slidy/imprint things attached to a rope on their belt?

:D  :devil:

435602[/snapback]

How's about, you give my your 2000 debit card and I will give you 500 in coke. Then I turn around and sell your 2000 debit to someone who will properly use it for 1000.

How's about, you give my your 2000 debit card and I will give you 500 in coke.  Then I turn around and sell your 2000 debit to someone who will properly use it for 1000.

435631[/snapback]

How about going to a fuggin' ATM and withdrawing the money? :D

How's about, you give my your 2000 debit card and I will give you 500 in coke.  Then I turn around and sell your 2000 debit to someone who will properly use it for 1000.

435631[/snapback]

Hey... I knew that was always an option. Still they are getting a 1/4 return.

[sARCASM ON]

Now... This makes more sense:

[sARCASM OFF]

They will get more bang for their buck now that the gov't is gonna 86 the debit card idea and have the money handed out the old-fashioned way by check or deposit to your account!

Nothing like 2k straight up!!

Just an update for all, if you can't tell by my previous post.

FEMA is scrapping the debit card plan. They will disburse the money to bank account or check.

Again.

What are they thinking. A debit card it and it use will go to good use more than cash... Giving the addicts cash will just allow them to get more bang for their buck.

Can't they track the debit purchases better?

Just an update for all, if you can't tell by my previous post.

FEMA is scrapping the debit card plan.  They will disburse the money to bank account or check.

Again.

:D  :devil:

What are they thinking.  A debit card it and it use will go to good use more than cash... Giving the addicts cash will just allow them to get more bang for their buck.

Can't they track the debit purchases better?

435659[/snapback]

Yeah, oversight has always been a government strength. :D

We're sorry, honest Americans. Because so many of the people eligible for assistance are malcontents, drug addicts, or near-do-wells, we, the US Government, will have to sign off on each purchase that the hundreds of thousands of you will be making with this pittance. Thank you for your patience, the wait for diapers will only be about a month. Gotta keep the meth addicts from buying Sudafed, you know.

Get real.

Yeah, oversight has always been a government strength.  :D

We're sorry, honest Americans.  Because so many of the people eligible for assistance are malcontents, drug addicts, or near-do-wells, we, the US Government, will have to sign off on each purchase that the hundreds of thousands of you will be making with this pittance.  Thank you for your patience, the wait for diapers will only be about a month.  Gotta keep the meth addicts from buying Sudafed, you know.

Get real.

435661[/snapback]

They are not gonna sign off on each purchase. They are gonna give the money straight up now.

The thing I suggested about tracking debit purchase was not to sign off on each purchase. It was just a way to get numbers in the end. :D:devil:

They are not gonna sign off on each purchase.  They are gonna give the money straight up now.

The thing I suggested about tracking debit purchase was not to sign off on each purchase.  It was just a way to get numbers in the end. :D  :devil:

435665[/snapback]

Oh, so now you liberals want the government to actually account for money? Why the sudden change of heart?

That appears to be your assumption.  Point out where anyone assumed that.  I'll wait...........

435791[/snapback]

Well if you scratch the discussion on this thread about how they can now use cash to buy drugs, how pushers don't take debit cards, etc, there isn't much of a thread.

Read it yourself.

Well if you scratch the discussion on this thread about how they can now use cash to buy drugs, how pushers don't take debit cards, etc, there isn't much of a thread.

Read it yourself.

435801[/snapback]

Yes because as a money person I want to account for every penny of "my" money. I don't want any of it used for that type of thing. Now if that is an assumption on my part that "all" (your word) of the evacuees are drug addicts that's a pretty big assumption on your part....not mine.

Yes because as a money person I want to account for every penny of "my" money.  I don't want any of it used for that type of thing.  Now if that is an assumption on my part that "all" (your word) of the evacuees are drug addicts that's a pretty big assumption on your part....not mine.

435803[/snapback]

I begrudge those people not one thin dime for the suffering they've gone through, and for what lies ahead of them in the coming months.

Are you so cheeseparing with all those people who received largesse after 9/11, even though they weren't directly affected? Such as cab drivers, beauty salon owners etc who suffered loss of business?

I begrudge those people not one thin dime for the suffering they've gone through, and for what lies ahead of them in the coming months.

Are you so cheeseparing with all those people who received largesse after 9/11, even though they weren't directly affected?  Such as cab drivers, beauty salon owners etc who suffered loss of business?

435809[/snapback]

Not sure what cheeseparing is (I actually pair mine with a nice port :D ) but if they received $$ without proper accounting of the damages and what that money was used for, yes I would pair their cheese.....