Debit Cards for Victims of Hurricane Katrina

thanes05

I recently found out that the victims of Hurricane Katrina will be receiving a 2,000 dollar debit card. This is something I agree with. I am a victim of Hurricane Katrina. My families house is gone and there is little that can be done about it. Only 25% of the coast of MS has flood insurance. Now, you may say that is they're fault, but that is not true. Most of the property in MS was not in a "flood zone." In fact, only 25% of the coast was in a flood zone. If a person was not in a flood zone, they would have had to pay over 500 dollars a month for flood insurance. What really bites is the idea that insurance company's may not label your property as a flood zone even though it was flooded by Hurricane Katrina. A lot of you may be against the amount of aid our country will be giving to the victims of Hurricane Katrina, but I want you to consider this. What if you were a victim of some type of disaster as large as Hurricane Katrina? How would you feel if the country was wanting to help you out? Would you consider the amount of aid being offered enough?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently found out that the victims of Hurricane Katrina will be receiving a 2,000 dollar debit card. This is something I agree with. I am a victim of Hurricane Katrina. My families house is gone and there is little that can be done about it.

I gotta admit I'm more than a little curious about your personal story. You registered just before the hurricane wiped out your house, and in less than a week you're already back online posting from - where? What happened? Where did you go? What did you experience? I hope this isn't just a made-up personality to argue the issue from a perceived moral high ground, because it's unnecessary. And it wouldn't stop a hard case like me from arguing with you anyway.

Except I don't have a problem with the 2k debit card. It's just a start, a temporary quick fix to ensure folks can take care of basic necessities, and when they get into some temporary housing, they're going to need set up house all over again. That can eat 2k pretty quickly. This is short term. Long term help is going to take some time to see how it works out.

Is this 2K, which will undoubtedly grow, a loan?

At an estimated cost of 200-300 billion to do the cleanup, our economy is pretty fooked right now. (Add that to the 300 billion and growing in Iraq and you have a whole pile of funny money... buy your gold boullion now people.)

I gotta admit I'm more than a little curious about your personal story. You registered just before the hurricane wiped out your house, and in less than a week you're already back online posting from - where? What happened? Where did you go? What did you experience? I hope this isn't just a made-up personality to argue the issue from a perceived moral high ground, because it's unnecessary. And it wouldn't stop a hard case like me from arguing with you anyway.

Except I don't have a problem with the 2k debit card. It's just a start, a temporary quick fix to ensure folks can take care of basic necessities, and when they get into some temporary housing, they're going to need set up house all over again. That can eat 2k pretty quickly. This is short term. Long term help is going to take some time to see how it works out.

433905[/snapback]

That is a bit of a stretch WingNut. Into conspiracy theories?

Heck, I live in Illinois and my families house in Buffalo and New England could get wiped out and I wouldn't have a problem (posting that is).

I am not sure how you interpreted his post to mean immediate family?

He only said families... Right?

??

That is a bit of a stretch WingNut.  Into conspiracy theories?

What conspiracy is that? Common sense tells you - wait, forgot who I was talking to - common sense tells most people that oftentimes brand new posters spoiling for a fight are not always who they seem. See, there's this thing called "trolling" - oh, never mind. I wasn't arguing with him anyway - if this guy just survived Katrina in Mississippi and had his home destroyed, he's got a story to tell. I can't be the only one who would be interested in hearing that.

You registered just before the hurricane wiped out your house, and in less than a week you're already back online posting from - where? What happened? Where did you go? What did you experience? I hope this isn't just a made-up personality to argue the issue from a perceived moral high ground, because it's unnecessary. And it wouldn't stop a hard case like me from arguing with you anyway.

433905[/snapback]

Your right that I registered right before the hurriacane wiped out my house. I'm at my fiance's house, who live's in Jackson, MS, and I'm writing to you right now. My family's house was wiped out. We do have it a bit better than most refugees. We left out our house the other day. It was completly gone when we got back. In fact, we saw there was over 9 feet of water in the neighborhood. What could we do about that? We put plywood on our house. We took materials we felt was vital, but we could not take eveything. After taking the materials we felt were needed, we headed up to my finace's house. The weather up here was some what bad, but nothing to what was experienced on the coast. We had high winds, and we also had some heavey rain, but what we experienced was no way in comparison to what happend in Biloxi, MS, which is basicly where I lived. D'Iberville, MS is literally connected to Biloxi, MS. What I wrote is not a made up story. I wish it was. I hate the fact that my parents house was destroyed. They basically have to start all over again.

The 2,000 dollar debit card will come in handy, but it will not help everything. There is literally an amount of damage which cannot be helped. I cannot imagine how much it is going to cost. I just hope my parents are able to to some how pull this off. I love them so much, and I do not want them to be put into some type of position that will hurt them for a long period of time. If you knew what this felt like, you would not question me.

Your right that I registered right before the hurriacane wiped out my house. I'm at my fiance's house, who live's in Jackson, MS, and I'm writing to you right now. My family's house was wiped out. We do have it a bit better than most refugees. We left out our house the other day. It was completly gone when we got back. In fact, we saw there was over 9 feet of water in the neighborhood. What could we do about that? We put plywood on our house. We took materials we felt was vital, but we could not take eveything. After taking the materials we felt were needed, we headed up to my finace's house. The weather up here was some what bad, but nothing to what was experienced on the coast. We had high winds, and we also had some heavey rain, but what we experienced was no way in comparison to what happend in Biloxi, MS, which is basicly where I lived. D'Iberville, MS is literally connected to Biloxi, MS. What I wrote is not a made up story. I wish it was. I hate the fact that my parents house was destroyed. They basically have to start all over again.

The 2,000 dollar debit card will come in handy, but it will not help everything. There is literally an amount of damage which cannot be helped. I cannot imagine how much it is going to cost. I just hope my parents are able to to some how pull this off. I love them so much, and I do not want them to be put into some type of position that will hurt them for a long period of time. If you knew what this felt like, you would not question me.

It's got nothing to do with feelings. I went through a few of these last year, so I do know what it was like until it hit (keeping an eye on Ophelia off the coast from me right now, in fact). I'm not even going to try to compare my situation to yours after that. I usually don't even respond to newbies at all until I get some idea of where they're coming from, because I've seen so many trolls. But this being a major catastrophe, curiousity compelled me.

D'Iberville - crap, that was a direct hit. Still, not a TOTAL loss. Think in positive terms, firstly, that you all made it out alive. If your parents' house was on a slab, they might be able to salvage a slab, and it would contain the main plumbing. If it was a raised foundation, storm surge pushing the (stick frame or mobile, whatever it was) off might have busted up the raised concrete block it was attached to, but the poured footers should still be in place. Municipal water and sewer will still be in place, wells should still be good, and septics may need pumping, but they should still be there. If power was above ground, that will probably be back in service a lot faster than debris will be cleaned up well enough to think about building. Just a few thoughts to get you thinking in terms of what there IS, rather than isn't.

BTW, if you're parents are paying a mortgage, I saw something about banks returning homeowner's last payment to their accounts, or cutting a check for the amount. Absolutely unprecedented; something else to check on.

Other than that, I'm sorry, and hang in there. Help is on the way.

I think $2000 isn't enough but as stated it's a start.

433787[/snapback]

Isn't enough for what? I'd like to know how they went about getting this figure. Is this so that people can get a hotel, apt or whatever and clothes, food, ect. Will there be more.

How much should they get? Should we take into account any private money and help they'll get?

How come they don't do this for EVERYONE that loses their home in a natual disaster?

I'm guessing this is a way for the Bush administration to try and buy back votes...

I recently found out that the victims of Hurricane Katrina will be receiving a 2,000 dollar debit card. This is something I agree with. I am a victim of Hurricane Katrina. My families house is gone and there is little that can be done about it. Only 25% of the coast of MS has flood insurance. Now, you may say that is they're fault, but that is not true. Most of the property in MS was not in a "flood zone." In fact, only 25% of the coast was in a flood zone. If a person was not in a flood zone, they would have had to pay over 500 dollars a month for flood insurance. What really bites is the idea that insurance company's may not label your property as a flood zone even though it was flooded by Hurricane Katrina. A lot of you may be against the amount of aid our country will be giving to the victims of Hurricane Katrina, but I want you to consider this. What if you were a victim of some type of disaster as large as Hurricane Katrina? How would you feel if the country was wanting to help you out? Would you consider the amount of aid being offered enough?

433638[/snapback]

Huh good question...and on the flip side should you expect me to pay for your house and stuff instead of mine?

Look I do feel REALLY REALLY bad for you and your family but why did you buy a house there if you knew it could be destroyed and you couldn't afford insurance?

BTW...My parents were in Charlie last year and have yet to get any money from the gov't.

Also insurance companies don't lable areas flood zones or not that is upto the gov't to survey the land and determine. Just because a house was flooded and not in a flood zone doesn't mean there was some kind of scam those areas are usually based on 100 year flood maps.

It is surprising that it would cost $500/mo for flood insurance for a house that's not in a flood zone. I do know flood insurance isn't cheap but it's usually about the cost of regular home owners insurance.

I don't know, this is just like giving a homeless person $5 and expecting him to buy food with it. Whoops that's exactly what we're doing. Some people are going to use that money for drugs, booze, etc. and I don't appreciate my tasx money being used for that. How about coupons that can be used for food, water, clothes, shelter?

Well, now the debit cards have been cancelled.

By the way I have heard a lot of interviews with evacuees over the past few days, and I haven't heard one say anything about buying a forty or some crack, but they have ALL said they want to work and they want to work ASAP to keep from going nuts (and broke) in the shelters. Many of these people were working before the hurricane...some are professionals, some business owners, some just plain ole blue-collar folk and, yes, a whole bunch of people living at or below poverty and just getting by. I certainly think that the majority of them are not welfare leeches...or bums or other pond scum. The leeches that seem to suck the MOST from our society and our economy are not the poor. But, that's another thread.