Another take on the "homeless" Saints ...

Another take ... Poor Tom. He's in - and the NFL is in - a funny position. You almost HAVE to move the franchise. And - looking at nothing other than economics and being pragmatic - now is the time. BUT .... Now you're (the NFL and Saints ownership) in a position similar to a guy who waits too long to break up with a chick. Suddenly, she suffers some terrible personal illness or tragedy. Now you CAN'T break up with her, or you'll look like a bastard. So here's what you do. Move the Saints. Now. Announce that once the relief/clean-up efforts are well along - say, a year or most likely two - the city of New Orleans will get a franchise. Announce that the city of New Orleans will retain exclusive rights to the name "Saints" and the crescent logo. Need to keep the number of teams even? The LA franchise could come in at the same time. Hey ... it could happen.

I don't want any more teams in the league - it's big enough as it is. <_<

CW

431771[/snapback]

exactly. theres a great balance with 32 teams and 8 divisions...more teams would throw everything out of whack. i will be really pissed at the HFL is they expand even more...

can you say LA....

i think a big factor is the stadium. how bad is it? how much would it cost to fix? N.O. is NOT going to spend millions on that after this. (or atleast not for a long time). there are more important things to deal with in N.O.

sucks for the city, not that they dont have enough already to think about. can you imagin a natural disaster of that size in Buffalo, then moving the Bills away. <_<

Forget New Orleans for a second...what about Jacksonville? Criminy, the home opener this weekend is likely to be blacked out. WTF? How does this city deserve a franchise?

Forget New Orleans for a second...what about Jacksonville? Criminy, the home opener this weekend is likely to be blacked out. WTF? How does this city deserve a franchise?

431990[/snapback]

I dislike FL teams as much as the next guy, but a little historical perspective is needed here. Between 1975 and 1980, every Bills home game was blacked out. The first time I ever saw Rich Stadium (as it was then) on TV was the Raiders game (4th of the season) in 1980. Even then home sellouts were rare until 1988. Bills fans might be a bit spoiled by the recent wave of sellouts... I for one would not want to make that the sole criteria for keeping a team.

The city of NO will be unable to support the NFL in the future. That team has to move. Benson is a rat, but I now see no other choice. I think they were going anyway. It's good timing in that they are forced to go now bad timing that it was the hurricane that did it. Hopefully, thye go to LA and we can shut the door on that city stealing the Bills of any other team (Chargers). They most likely will stay in San Antonio.

I dislike FL teams as much as the next guy, but a little historical perspective is needed here. Between 1975 and 1980, every Bills home game was blacked out. The first time I ever saw Rich Stadium (as it was then) on TV was the Raiders game (4th of the season) in 1980. Even then home sellouts were rare until 1988. Bills fans might be a bit spoiled by the recent wave of sellouts... I for one would not want to make that the sole criteria for keeping a team.

432046[/snapback]

Hey, I remember the dark times as well as the next guy. But it's not like J-ville is a bad team...they barely missed the playoffs last year, optimism for the team is high, and they still can't sell out the season opener in time? Bah.

Besides, this day and age is very different from the late 70s. With teams always looking to make the most money possible, you gotta show a lot of support for the team. I wouldn't want to make that the sole criteria for keeping a team either, but hey, the NFL is a much different business nowadays...