Someone Who Actually Knows Something

San-O

Just got off the phone with Coach McNally--he said and I quote...

"Get a life and quit calling this !@#$ing number."

So there you have it--pinpoint analysis from the man. My fears about O-line play have been put to rest.

Just got off the phone with Coach McNally--he said and I quote...

"Get a life and quit calling this !@#$ing number."

So there you have it--pinpoint analysis from the man.  My fears about O-line play have been put to rest.

431480[/snapback]

:doh:

Gee, what a surprise.  I'm away for a month and the second thread down is another "I'm so low on gray matter that I can only regurgitate the same topic over and over again" by socalsurf.

How I've missed the rollercoaster.  :doh:

431466[/snapback]

How convenient..you missed:

1) the preseaon matters/no it doesn't annual debate

2) The annual O-line sucks/no it doesn't debate

3) the new JP sucks/no he doesn't debate

4) the Rian Lindell multiple thread post-a-thon

5) The TD Son of Satan thread surviving 5 more weeks

6) Numerous references to Retatta

7) Changing the world with silent threads..

and then a whole series of threads wondering just where in the hell you had gone...

All in all -- a good month to take a break...

How convenient..you missed:

1) the preseaon matters/no it doesn't annual debate

2) The annual O-line sucks/no it doesn't debate

3)  the new JP sucks/no he doesn't debate

4) the Rian Lindell multiple thread post-a-thon

5) The TD Son of Satan thread surviving 5 more weeks

6) Numerous references to Retatta

7) Changing the world with silent threads..

and then a whole series of threads wondering just where in the hell you had gone...

All in all -- a good month to take a break...

431492[/snapback]

Don't forget the last week of Katrina and BushBad! :doh:

The only thing macabre was DB behind last years O-line .

UHhhh....

431410[/snapback]

...... The Bills allowed only 15 sacks over the final 10 games (once they got their sh$t together)to a guy who most would claim their Mother could run faster than.

...... The Bills allowed only 15 sacks over the final 10 games (once they got their sh$t together)to a guy who most would claim their Mother could run faster than.

431628[/snapback]

I read that also a short time ago, The Sporting News I think.

That is really an amazing stat. Hope it continues this year.

I read that also a short time ago, The Sporting News I think.

That is really an amazing stat.  Hope it continues this year.

431630[/snapback]

is that what you wanted to here . i do not think an expert exist around here that you are looking for ,but everone here is a pro ARM chair QB and some are even pro ARM chair GMs . :doh:

I never played O-line so I don't really know.  Seems you lose your LT and replace him with a nobody, you are getting worse.  To me, a bad o-line seems a lot like bad acting.  You know it when you see it.

Could someone with an objective view, state where they think this o-line

is now, compared to last year, and why?

TD, O-Line and MW apologists need not respond.

Thanks.

431358[/snapback]

Solid.

Solid linky

is that what you wanted to here . i do not think an expert exist around here that you are looking for ,but everone here is  a pro ARM chair QB and some are even pro ARM chair GMs . <_<

431731[/snapback]

Well, not really, but it is a very striking statistic.

38 sacks given up for the year, 16 the last 10 games.

3.6 sacks/game first 6 games

1.6 sacks/game last 10 games

I am more of an "Arm-Chair GM". :lol:

Trade down, don't reach, acquire more picks!

I am not an expert, so you can dismiss my opinion. I think the Bills OL is fairly talented, but thin, and I don't mean their waistlines. Gandy is a good technician, but a history of injuries has made his NFL career somewhat of a struggle. If he can stay healthy, he should be adequate at LT. Bennie Anderson is massive and strong, but as we've seen in preseason is prone to take penalties. My guess is he is probably a better run blocker than pass blocker, and that he would have more trouble with quick defensive linemen, than big strong ones. Teague is athletic and a good technician, but not terribly strong, and a better pass blocker than run blocker. Villarrial is a bllue collar kind of guy who is good at both pass blocking and run blocking, but isn't so outstanding that he gets noticed. Mike Williams is huge and strong, and a good athlete. My guess is if he has a weakness it is occasional lapses of concentration.

Peters, as we've all heard seems to have all kinds of upside, and performed well in preseason, but his lack of experience could potentially let a smart DE get the better of him. Greg Jerman is flexible athletic, and smart, but Miami fans thought he sucked when in Miami. Duke Preston is smart and pretty athletic for a center/guard. Justin Geisinger is very strong and smart, but I think of all the linemen on the Bills roster, he struggled the most in preseason. He had a lot of penalties and his blocking broke down a number of times. I'd be worried if he ended up having to start for an extended period of time.

The Bills would be wise to run a single back offense with 3 WR's. I do like Shelton but the power running game just isn't there. McGahee runs best with delays/draws/counters etc. Let Losman roll out, hit the short stuff and pop a deep pass every so often. He's not a stand in the pocket passer, so quit trying to make him something he's not.

I believe our line to be average and this formation plays to their strenghts or hides their shortcoming, depending on how you look at things.

The hope for this years O-line is that it can approach being average. Clearly, by letting Drew and Jonas go and putting JP in, there is an acknowledgement that we're not going to pursue a high-cost dominant O-line. When we play average to poor defenses, we'll likely be pleased with their performance for the most part. But JP is going to be doing a lot of scrambling when we face a dominant D-line. Houston will be a good test as they have always had a stout defense. I remember they took out Miami in Miami on opening day a couple of years ago solely on the performance of their defense. I seem to recall them dealing us a painful loss in Buffalo that same season.

I am not an expert, so you can dismiss my opinion.  I think the Bills OL is fairly talented, but thin, and I don't mean their waistlines.  Gandy is a good technician, but a history of injuries has made his NFL career somewhat of a struggle.  If he can stay healthy, he should be adequate at LT.  Bennie Anderson is massive and strong, but as we've seen in preseason is prone to take penalties.  My guess is he is probably a better run blocker than pass blocker, and that he would have more trouble with quick defensive linemen, than big strong ones.  Teague is athletic and a good technician, but not terribly strong, and a better pass blocker than run blocker.  Villarrial is a bllue collar kind of guy who is good at both pass blocking and run blocking, but isn't so outstanding that he gets noticed.  Mike Williams is huge and strong, and a good athlete.  My guess is if he has a weakness it is occasional lapses of concentration. 

Peters, as we've all heard seems to have all kinds of upside, and performed well in preseason, but his lack of experience could potentially let a smart DE get the better of him.  Greg Jerman is flexible athletic, and smart, but Miami fans thought he sucked when in Miami.  Duke Preston is smart and pretty athletic for a center/guard.  Justin Geisinger is very strong and smart, but I think of all the linemen on the Bills roster, he struggled the most in preseason.  He had a lot of penalties and his blocking broke down a number of times.  I'd be worried if he ended up having to start for an extended period of time.

431899[/snapback]

Good post. Gandy to me looks more solid than everyone had expected. The question mark that really looms in my mind is the play of Anderson in the preseason. He has looked terrible most of the time, with like you said stupid penalties. One can only hope that he corrects these metal mistakes. People were saying road grader... I really haven't seen any evidence to support that. I think the right side should be better than a year ago. Will this be Mike Williams break out year? Lets hope so.

Sounds to me like you want Chuck Dickerson to answer your question. I'll do it for you:

1. Our o-line sucks.

2. Tom Donahoe sucks.

3. Mike Williams sucks.

Is that objective enough for you? God, it's like you are going to tune into Rush Limbaugh or Air America for objective political opinions.

I never played O-line so I don't really know.  Seems you lose your LT and replace him with a nobody, you are getting worse.  To me, a bad o-line seems a lot like bad acting.  You know it when you see it.

Could someone with an objective view, state where they think this o-line

is now, compared to last year, and why?

TD, O-Line and MW apologists need not respond.

Thanks.

431358[/snapback]