Is it fair to say

Dante

Given the schedule, our fragile offense and seemingly 50/50 chance at the Bills making the playoffs, there is little margin for error. I mean, we can't afford to lose "winnable" games like this one against the Texans. It's tough when you are in the same division as the Super Bowl winners all the time. It's almost like your starting the season off at 0-2. Not that im a pessimist but just trying to be realistic.

429914[/snapback]

Houston Texans at home on opening day. Yes we should win. A must win. No. But, a win would be better than a loss. :D

first of all, the bills don't have a "fragile" offense -- they have an UNPROVEN offense; unproven because none of us have seen this group play when it means something.  when are you gloom-and-doomers going to see the difference?  wait until they have stunk it up when it really counts before calling them out as pathetic.  you're not realistic; you're pessimistic as hell.

430025[/snapback]

"Fragile", "Unproven" , whatever you want to call it. We have a rookie qb and that is a shakey proposition. Don't get me wrong, I was and am totally in favor of the move to Losman. But to classify me as a "gloom-and-doomer" is exagerating on your part. No one knows for sure whats our offensive production is going to be, but common sense and history shows expectations should be modest. All im saying because of this we cant afford to waste winnable opportunities. In the strictest sense it isnt a "must" win but it would be a major strike against us this season. To baseball metaphor it would put us 0-1 in the count with only a couple more mistakes/strikes left.

"Fragile", "Unproven" , whatever you want to call it. We have a rookie qb and that is a shakey proposition. Don't get me wrong, I was and am totally in favor of the move to Losman. But to classify me as a "gloom-and-doomer" is  exagerating on your part. No one knows for sure whats our offensive production is going to be, but common sense and history shows expectations should be modest. All im saying because of this we cant afford to waste winnable opportunities. In the strictest sense it isnt a "must" win but it would be a major strike against us this season.  To baseball metaphor it would put us 0-1 in the count with only a couple more mistakes/strikes left.

430336[/snapback]

the phrase "you gloom-and-doomers" is not directed specifically at you, dante -- but sorting through the various "how soon will MM pull losman," "we'll be lucky to score 13 points with this offense," "this is a 6-10 team, guys" posts and threads is getting old and has made me ornery. :D

i'm as nervous as anyone about seeing the offense in the regular season. but the difference with me -- and some on this board -- is that i don't believe the bills would sabotage the season by playing losman just to "prove a point" that he was their 1st round draft pick and he's going to play. i also have confidence that 15-16 months of working with sam wyche gives losman a huge leg up over a "traditional" first year starting QB and it chaps my arse when he's referred to as a rookie by fans and the media. i don't think he looked at all like a rookie during the preseason (see aaron rodgers and alex smith if you disagree).

to the contrary, there is a rather vocal contingent who have already given up on the season and consistently offer up morsels such as, "i really hope the bills do well, but things are a mess based upon the preseason." i think statements like that are indicative of a lack of football knowledge or experience. i won't call them ignorant, because i'm trying to be nice. :doh:

also, in case you missed it, i agreed with you that it would certainly create a large hole to dig out of if the bills lose this game.

Oh hell, don't try to be real here,they will throw you to the wolves.

I said last years opener was a must win and it turned out we really needed that game at the end. I say every game vs the AFC is a must win. The opener will set the pace if we win.

429920[/snapback]

As I recall, the controversy started last season with the commonly held belief that Bledsoe couldn't win the "big games." I contended that when a team is 0-4, every game is big, but was of course shouted down by the "Drew Sucks Hate Club." :D

As for this game, I certainly don't think that it is a "must win." For all we truly know, every team in our division will lose.

A win here would go a long way, but the season doesn't hinge on it.

Yeah, got to win. I was ridiculed last year for saying that about the Jacksonville game last year. You can rationalize the counter-argument all you want: "Jacksonville/Houston is going to be good this year", "if we won the Pittsburgh game it wouldn't have mattered".....whatever. The bottom line is we put ourselves in a position where we had to win like 8 games in a row. Was Jacksonville better than people predicted they'd be last year? Yeah. At the end of the day though, it doesn't really matter because they were nowhere near as good as the Patriots, or the Jets, or anybody else that we need to beat to ever reach the promise-land. I really don't care how "surprising" or "frisky" Houston may be this year. You have to beat the Houstons and the Jacksonvilles of the world at home if you want to make the playoffs in the AFC East and that's not negotiable.

So, if the Bills lose you're throwing in the towel?

I certainly agree it is important, and would really ease a lot of fears about the rest of the season, but I think this is one of those occasions where it's fair to say "must win" is an overused term.

430291[/snapback]

nah never throw in the towel. If you don't like "must win" then how about, " God damn if we only beat the .500 Texans at home at the start of the season we would be in the playoffs right now" kinda term.

Hey hops....

Sillies chokin' again.

:D

430413[/snapback]

They were in it to the last out last night. Endy Chavez had Ryan Howard 90 ft away, but coudn't come through. They just don't have the arms to compete with the 'Stros or the Fish. What a tease.

They were in it to the last out last night.  Endy Chavez had Ryan Howard 90 ft away, but coudn't come through.  They just don't have the arms to compete with the 'Stros or the Fish.  What a tease.

430513[/snapback]

Told ya. That's why I jumped ship.

I can't stand heartbreak in baseball AS WELL AS in football :D

Told ya. That's why I jumped ship.

I can't stand heartbreak in baseball AS WELL AS in football :D

430516[/snapback]

I've got the Phillies, the Bills & the Sabres. In my personal life I've had Joyce, Lisa, Kerry, and Krista. Heart-breakers, all of them.

I'm still standing. Bring it on world, I can take anything you dish out.