Jerry Rice to call it a career

Tom

Rice to call it a career

Jerry Rice said he didn't want to play if he wasn't going to be at least the No. 3 receiver for the Denver Broncos. Informed that wasn't going to be the case, the NFL's all-time leading receiver opted to retire rather than ride the bench.

Rice, whose 22,895 career receiving yards are more than 8,000 more than his closest pursuer, is expected to officially announce his retirement from the NFL at a 1:30 p.m. ET press conference according to televised reports.

Rice survived Denver's cutdown to 53 players Saturday..

But his agent, Jim Steiner, said the NFL's all-time leading receiver had been notified by Broncos coach Mike Shanahan that he would not be their No. 3 receiver.

"That was a must for him," Steiner told The Associated Press on Sunday.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Rice to call it a career

Fare the well Jerry.  At least you made it into Madden 2006.  Which reminds me, the list of Tecmo Super Bowlers still active in the NFL is shrinking away...we've still got Tupa, Ricky Proehl, and Vinny, at last check.

429695[/snapback]

I just had a conversation with my roommates about the same thing. I think Vinny is out of the league and Tupa might be going on IR...so I honestly think the only Tecmo player left is Ricky Proehl.

I just had a conversation with my roommates about the same thing.  I think Vinny is out of the league and Tupa might be going on IR...so I honestly think the only Tecmo player left is Ricky Proehl.

429704[/snapback]

Are we talking about Tecmo Super Bowl with the 1990 players? If memory serves, wasn't Deon Sanders in that? Is he still on the Ravens?

Alright, I've been thinking about this for quite some time now. With the greatness of Jerry Rice, since he is one of the best, if not the best all around football player of all time. Why wouldn't the NFL do what the NHL did for Gretzky. Skip the waiting period, because he's a lock to get in on the first try anyway. Jerry deserves it for what he has done for the game. Thoughts? IMO he should go in next year.

Alright, I've been thinking about this for quite some time now.  With the greatness of Jerry Rice, since he is one of the best, if not the best all around football player of all time.  Why wouldn't the NFL do what the NHL did for Gretzky.  Skip the waiting period, because he's a lock to get in on the first try anyway.  Jerry deserves it for what he has done for the game.  Thoughts?  IMO he should go in next year.

429744[/snapback]

Yes, Rice was a great player, but I don't believe in special treatment. If you let him in early, where do you draw the line for other players? Should Payton, Montana, or Marino have been granted an early entrance? Let him wait like everyone else has to.

Yes, Rice was a great player, but I don't believe in special treatment. If you let him in early, where do you draw the line for other players? Should Payton, Montana, or Marino have been granted an early entrance? Let him wait like everyone else has to.

429765[/snapback]

I understand that. Payton, Dan and Montana are in already. Jerry's records and accomplishments are far from being touched. I just feel that he DOES deserve the special treatment. He changed the wide out position and rewrote the record books.

I wish Jerry had retired a while ago. His image has taken a hit with the fiasco wearing Largent's 80 in Seattle and bitching about the 49ers not signing him to come back for a farewell season. He is the greatest of all time. Aside from his talent he was great because he worked harder than anyone in the offseason. Moss may be great but he'll never be in the same league as Rice because of his attitude and lack of heart. I hear Jerry needed the money which is why he opted for another season. If that's true he must've squandered a lot of money. Even if his biggest contract(s) weren't very big by today's standards he still made 20yrs of NFL salary........

Am I the only one that remembers the "Massage Parlor" incident involving Mr. Rice??? I'm not saying he's not the greatest WR ever, I'm just saying that If someone want's to throw around the "Class" word....

Jeff

429822[/snapback]

I'll bite... what were the specifics with the massage parlor incident? I don't remember that one.

Alright, I've been thinking about this for quite some time now.  With the greatness of Jerry Rice, since he is one of the best, if not the best all around football player of all time.  Why wouldn't the NFL do what the NHL did for Gretzky.  Skip the waiting period, because he's a lock to get in on the first try anyway.  Jerry deserves it for what he has done for the game.  Thoughts?  IMO he should go in next year.

429744[/snapback]

I've never been a Rice fan. It seems to me he's always been selfish and for the past few years has been mostly concerned with padding his stats. The timing of this retirement demonstrates it. As a #3 WR he was still burning to play but as a #4 he walks out? WTF? Thanks for wasting everyone's time in Denver Jerry.

And I'm sorry, but there is no comparison at all between Gretzky and Rice. Gretzky was the Babe Ruth of hockey. He transformed the sport. Rice was a great player, but his influence stops when he steps off the field. I’d say he is more like Barry Bonds (aside from the ‘roids).