List of countries offering aid

Fezmid

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/03/katrina.w....aid/index.html

The most interesting one is Germany:

Germany has also said it is ready and willing to "dip into its own emergency oil reserves" to release some 2 million barrels a day for 30 days.

Surprisingly (to me), Japan's offer is the lamest:

Japan has offered to provide $200,000 to the American Red Cross

Way to help out, Japan. :)

I know talk about foreign aid was hot the first day or two; didn't see a thread talking about who is contributing, so figured I'd give credit where credit is due.

CW

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/03/katrina.w....aid/index.html

The most interesting one is Germany:

Surprisingly (to me), Japan's offer is the lamest:

Way to help out, Japan.  :)

I know talk about foreign aid was hot the first day or two; didn't see a thread talking about who is contributing, so figured I'd give credit where credit is due.

CW

428811[/snapback]

Yeah, that thread got moved to PPP. Thanks for posting this here.

Why are we not accepting offers of help?

To me, this makes the US look arrogant and keeps us at arms length from the world community. We should be graciously accepting all such offers and we should continue to offer gracious assistance when disasters happen elsewhere.

To me, this makes the US look arrogant and keeps us at arms length from the world community.  We should be graciously accepting all such offers and we should continue to offer gracious assistance when disasters happen elsewhere.

428873[/snapback]

I wish I had the State Department angle on this. This could be a foot in the door to improve relations with a lot of people. Of course there is a lot of manipulation involved (2 million bbls of oil per day?), by all parties - I wouldn't take some of those offers at face value, but still...

Too bad that America is using this opportunity to show the rest of the world what a hateful, spiteful and spoiled country this is. Just watch the news. They are.

who were complaining that countries we had helped were offering us no assistance and in particular whining about Islamic countries not offering assistance. In light of 60 countries (the last count of a # which can grow if necessary as even Kofi Annan offered to be a liason) offering aid (and some of the offers being quite substantial like the $100 million offered by Qatar or quite practical like Syria's offer of heliocopters) it is nice to see humans reaching out to their fellow humans with ideology appropriately pushed to the side.

I guess folks who seem to get their joy in life from complaining that everyone hates them will find some other spin on this to claim foul, pump up their own egos, or claim others are bad.

However, it is in times of tragedy like this or the Tsunami that I find some hope for those of us on this planet.

428873[/snapback]

You've got to have somewhere to put it, some way of supporting it, and something to do with it.

Same thing with the tsunami...people were complaining that the US didn't offer billions in aid immediately. Well...the fact is, billions would have just sat there doing nothing. Anything most anyone sends right now to New Orleans is likely to do just about the same. Putting more of something into a situation like this is not always good...after a point, you can put so much resources into it so quickly that the size of effort paralyzes itself.

You've got to have somewhere to put it, some way of supporting it, and something to do with it. 

Same thing with the tsunami...people were complaining that the US didn't offer billions in aid immediately.  Well...the fact is, billions would have just sat there doing nothing.  Anything most anyone sends right now to New Orleans is likely to do just about the same.  Putting more of something into a situation like this is not always good...after a point, you can put so much resources into it so quickly that the size of effort paralyzes itself.

429326[/snapback]

Kinda like when they say "no flowers please" at a funeral?

Same thing with the tsunami...people were complaining that the US didn't offer billions in aid immediately.  Well...the fact is, billions would have just sat there doing nothing.  Anything most anyone sends right now to New Orleans is likely to do just about the same.  Putting more of something into a situation like this is not always good...after a point, you can put so much resources into it so quickly that the size of effort paralyzes itself.

429326[/snapback]

Absolutley, the efficient use of donated resources is something many don't understand. It wouod appear as of today that many of the basic needs are being met, and the emergency services are currently being provided. An assessment of what is needed and how those needs will be addressed can now begin to take place and the resources being offered can be put to use then. I am reminded when that blwohard O' Reilly castigated the Red Cross and United Way for not spending donated dollars quick enouhg, when in fact it appeared as the organization were exercising some due diligence. Arbitraril throwing money at a problem, that is the governments role <_<