Ignorant Question about Hurricane Season

brihs2005

Is there a chance that another hurricane, or even a bad tropical storm can hit the area again this year? When does hurricane season end, and are the most aggressive storms over with by now? It seems as bad as the devastation is, the pictures i have seen have shown that the weather is clear. I can only imagine what it would have been like with even the slightest bit of rain over the past few days.

From what i understand, september-early november is the worst part of the season. Correct me if i'm wrong, but hurricanes form when there's a difference between atmospheric temperatures and water temperatures. There's a greater difference in the beginning of fall than in the summer, so i think that the best time to get a bad hurricane is coming up. It is entirely possible that another storm could hit new orleans.

Saw on the news last night that there is a tropical depression (named, but I forget) moving into the Carribean right now, with another a few hundred miles behind.

The weather guy said that Sept. 15 is the peak of hurricane season.

Is there a chance that another hurricane, or even a bad tropical storm can hit the area again this year?  When does hurricane season end, and are the most aggressive storms over with by now?  It seems as bad as the devastation is, the pictures i have seen have shown that the weather is clear.  I can only imagine what it would have been like with even the slightest bit of rain over the past few days.

428139[/snapback]

Yes, there's a chance. Four hit Florida last year, after all.

Saw on the news last night that there is a tropical depression (named, but I forget) moving into the Carribean right now, with another a few hundred miles behind.

The weather guy said that Sept. 15 is the peak of hurricane season.

428155[/snapback]

We are up to the L's now... It might be Lee?

Might have skipped to the M's if Lee burned out?

We are up to the L's now... It might be Lee?

Might have skipped to the M's if Lee burned out?

428546[/snapback]

Actually, we are on Tropical Depression #16, which would be called Ophelia if it grows. It could threaten the Florida Peninsula. Lee died out somewhere last week, Maria and Nate are out in the Atlantic now, and shouldnot threaten the U.S. Coast.

I think you will see one or two more big storms hitting the US this year. Mostly FL of course - perhaps TX. But really the chance of another one hitting the NO area is slim. Luckily for NO they do not get that many storms.

www.nhc.noaa.gov the official hurricane site...check the outlook...

Season lasts until Nov. 30, and as of august 1, we were projected to get 11-14 storms, 7-9 hurricanes, and 2-3 major hurricanes for the rest of this year...