For the select few who question whats going on...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the federal government underestimated the resources it would take to deal with a situation like this. This situation is bad, and I agree with our president that the response is not acceptable. Hopefully we'll learn from this, and be ready next time.

427125[/snapback]

When Bush was asked today about what he meant by his remarks, he said he meant the violance was not acceptable. He still has no clue.

We can send the 82cd Airborne rapid response group anywhere in the world on a moments notice (I know it from personal experience), but the vacationer waited days to start acting like he was really concerned and on top of things. The 82cd, or some such Federal support, should have been sent in immediately, or by Tuesday. Expectations that the National Guard, decimated by the Iraq adventure, was capable of moving effectively and instantaneously should have been minimal.

For years, and even very recently, everyone has been saying that New Orleans could not survive a Category 4 or 5 storm. So for Bush to say the reason for the problems is unforeseen levee breaches, is almost criminal. This is especially so since he cut funding that would have improved disaster measures and planning already in place, which obviously was of minimal value, as has been proven.

One thing working to the president's benefit in all of this: he can be thankful that New Orleans helped enable him to turn the spotlight of off Cindy Sheehan, at least near term.