[OT] First choice actors

Rubes

Did you know...?

- Will Smith was the first choice for the role of "Neo" in "The Matrix"? Leonardo DiCaprio and Ewan MacGregor both turned down the role as well before Keanu got the part.

- Warren Beatty was the first choice for Michael Corleone in "The Godfather"? Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, Ryan O'Neal, and Robert Redford were also offered the part ahead of Al Pacino.

- Warren Beatty was also the first choice for Bill in "Kill Bill"?

Yikes.

i was thinking about actors the other day while watching will smith on inside the actors studio. I like will smith and I think he is very well liked by a very large segment of the poplulation, but I was trying to equate actors to today to actors of yesterday, for example I would put Tom Hanks equivalent to Jimmy Stewart. Any thoughts on this? sorry if I am hijacking this thread

Did you know...?

- Will Smith was the first choice for the role of "Neo" in "The Matrix"? Leonardo DiCaprio and Ewan MacGregor both turned down the role as well before Keanu got the part.

- Warren Beatty was the first choice for Michael Corleone in "The Godfather"? Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, Ryan O'Neal, and Robert Redford were also offered the part ahead of Al Pacino.

Yikes.

426988[/snapback]

Drew Bledsoe was the 1st choice to play Mary's ex-boyfriend in "Something About Mary," not Brett Favre.  DB said no thanks.

426992[/snapback]

that was Steve Young, and he turned it down because it went against some Mormon thing

Also, the Will Smith/Keanu Reeves thing with the Matrix...Keanu turned down "Men In Black" before it was offered to Will Smith

Stuart Townsend was originally cast to play Aragorn but was replaced 4 days into shooting

that was Steve Young, and he turned it down because it went against some Mormon thing

427013[/snapback]

You're probably right, Young was 1st choice, but I know Bledsoe was offered. Perhaps he didn't think he would be Parenting with Dignity if he held hands with Cameron Diaz.

George Raft made a series of errors:

"His career went into a period of decline over the next decade, and Raft achieved a place in Hollywood folklore as the actor who turned down some of the best roles of the decade, most notably High Sierra and The Maltese Falcon; both roles made Humphrey Bogart a major force in Hollywood in 1941. He was also reported to have turned down Bogart's role in Casablanca (1942) saying he did not want to play opposite "some unknown Swedish broad" (Ingrid Bergman). Approached by director Billy Wilder, he refused the lead role in Double Indemnity (1944), which led to the casting of Fred MacMurray. His lack of judgement combined with the public's growing distaste for his apparent gangster lifestyle effectively ended his career as a leading man."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Raft

i was thinking about actors the other day while watching will smith on inside the actors studio.  I like will smith and I think he is very well liked by a very large segment of the poplulation, but I was trying to equate actors to today to actors of yesterday, for example I would put Tom Hanks equivalent to Jimmy Stewart.  Any thoughts on this?  sorry if I am hijacking this thread

427001[/snapback]

Will Smith=Gene Kelley?

I had heard Tom Selleck turned down Raiders of the Lost Ark beacause of his contactual obligations to Magnum PI.

Also, several actors (Pacino, McQueen) turned down Richard Dreyfuss' role in Close Encounters.

Pacino also turned down the role of Han Solo. There's a rumor Ford was working on the movie and was picked by Lucas from the crowd.

i was thinking about actors the other day while watching will smith on inside the actors studio.  I like will smith and I think he is very well liked by a very large segment of the poplulation, but I was trying to equate actors to today to actors of yesterday, for example I would put Tom Hanks equivalent to Jimmy Stewart.  Any thoughts on this?  sorry if I am hijacking this thread

427001[/snapback]

Alec Baldwin, Barbara Streisand, Tom Cruise, and Susan Sarandon are like the old Silent Movie actors/actresses of the 1920.

When they opened their mouth, you just wish they'd STFU

Did you know...?

Yikes.

426988[/snapback]

Doug Flutie was the first choice for the "Umpa" in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Huh? I read Spielberg was writing it while working on Jaws, and offered the role to Dreyfuss before the movie done being written.

427056[/snapback]

Possible, just parroting what I had heard. I also heard that there were big name stars that read for Jaws (Redford comes to mind) but Speilberg wanted the shark to keep center stage.

Alec Baldwin, Barbara Streisand, Tom Cruise, and Susan Sarandon are like the old Silent Movie actors/actresses of the 1920. 

When they opened their mouth, you just wish they'd STFU

427053[/snapback]

Sarandon was yummy once upon a time. Until she did that talking thing that is.

Pacino also turned down the role of Han Solo. There's a rumor Ford was working on the movie and was picked by Lucas from the crowd.

427052[/snapback]

Found the story...I guess Ford was working as a carpenter on the set. Lucas came across him and remembered him from a bit part in American Graffiti. Lucas asked Ford to read opposite the actors he was auditioning (I've heard along with Pacino turning it down...Christopher Walken, Kurt Russell & Billy Dee Williams)...and the rest is history.

If you want to see how incredible an actor Will Smith is, go see Six Degrees of Seperation, his first movie. He plays a gay con-artist, would be hard to imagine his fans flocking to that if he were to do that movie today. Great flick though.

Possible, just parroting what I had heard. I also heard that there were big name stars that read for Jaws (Redford comes to mind) but Speilberg wanted the shark to keep center stage.

427066[/snapback]

Spielberg had approached Steve McQueen, Dustin Hoffman, and Gene Hackman for the role of Roy Neary in CE3K, per IMDB

Author Peter Benchley wanted Redford, Newman and McQueen in the film, per IMDB.