WRs - Josh Reed will be gone tomorrow

I've been thinkign about how the roster shakes out - and with us likely carrying 6 WRs to start the season (Parrish being the injured 6th) we are looking at losing one of Reed, Freddy Smith, Haddad, Wilson and Aiken.

For me the smart money is on Wilson and Reed being cut.

Wilson is clearly bottom of the heap here - he's made some plays and has nice size, but not sure he's done enough to get a spot. Reed is there only becuase he's the most experience right now - and his lack of size hurts him. I think we hold on to Haddad, Freddy Smith and Aiken for their various ST contributions...

Shame - cos I like Josh Reed...

I've been thinkign about how the roster shakes out - and with us likely carrying 6 WRs to start the season (Parrish being the injured 6th) we are looking at losing one of Reed, Freddy Smith, Haddad, Wilson and Aiken.

Wilson is clearly bottom of the heap here - he's made some plays and has nice size, but not sure he's done enough to get a spot. Reed is there only becuase he's the most experience right now - and his lack of size hurts him. I think we hold on to Haddad, Freddy Smith and Aiken for their various ST contributions...

426679[/snapback]

I really think Reed stays. Freddy goes.

reed's roster spot is safe.......in fact, i think he'll be 3rd until parrish returns.......

426693[/snapback]

I agree fully. His production in camp and preseason overall (also including blocking, routes, RAC) has easily matched any of the other 2nd tier Wr's. He certainly still has a lot to prove based on past production but I don't think he has to worry about the turk quite yet.

426679[/snapback]

With the way that Reed has played this pre-season it would be suprising if he got cut before Wilson. Stranger things have happened.

your math is off. moulds + evans + roscoe = 3. that means out of reed, aiken, smith, wilson, and haddad, TWO will be gone.

my guess -- see ya, fast freddy. have a nice life, mr. wilson.

aiken is valuable on ST and is the best backup for moulds' position. haddad has earned his stripes as a slot receiver and punt returner. reed is still the best blocking WR the bills have and can be a contributor in the slot.

your math is off.  moulds + evans + roscoe = 3.  that means out of reed, aiken, smith, wilson, and haddad, TWO will be gone.

my guess -- see ya, fast freddy.  have a nice life, mr. wilson.

aiken is valuable on ST and is the best backup for moulds' position.  haddad has earned his stripes as a slot receiver and punt returner.  reed is still the best blocking WR the bills have and can be a contributor in the slot.

426744[/snapback]

my maths was right...

my post wasn't...

I still think Reed and Wilson get cut.

Put the crack pipe down  :blink:

426695[/snapback]

Darn, I think Reed stays and I have not even gotten any crack for it.

My sense of the WRs (barring the reality of tonight where I think we will not see performance change this but injury can).

1. Moulds- still the current go-to guy

2. Evans- the future go-to guy

3. Parrish- will add a lot when he can play because he makes 1st 2 harder to cover for DC but he is out for now

4. Reed- Handled the #3 job as a rookie and M/E creates possiblilty to recreate M/P where Reed prospered. Reed has been not great (a TD catch did not happen) but good enough (caught a couple of short ones a got a couple of FDs) as a WR. He retains arep as a good downfield blocker and WM running is important and will become even more so with our run first approach and without Parrish for a while.

5. Haddad- Most impressive WR in terms of production this pre-season catching most everything thrown his way and some balls not even thrown to him. He has really produced as a PR guy which allows him to credibly back-up Clements which is a need since it will be a load for Parrish to work his way back in at WR much less use his PR talents.

6. Aiken- Has not yet grabbed the position and made it his own with production in terms of long catches so I think he stays as Parrish can't play and we need 5 WR possibilities

7. Smith- Good PR production last year, but since Clements is #1 we need a credible back-up here who can contribute to the team on the field. Fast freddy has been too mecurial to do this and Haddad shows more as a WR who can both run routes and back-up Clements.

8. Wilson- Good but a PS guy at best.

426679[/snapback]

In:

Moulds

Evans

Parrish

Aiken

Reed

Haddad

Out:

Smith

Wilson

I suppose Wilson could secure a practice squad spot. Unfortunately Reed still sticks... Positive with him is he can block very well even though his hands are made of stone.

I suppose Wilson could secure a practice squad spot.  Unfortunately Reed still sticks...  Positive with him is he can block very well even though his hands are made of stone.

426827[/snapback]

"Even though" or "because?" :blink:

if haddad makes the team, bills go to playoffs.  and ill be happy about both.

every team needs players with that type of heart and fortitude.  he's been trying to make ths team for what? 3 years now?  that shows a lot of character, a lot of toughness.  IMO of course.

426869[/snapback]

The talking heads on the radio were talking in pre-game about him last year. They were noting his field awareness as being a key trait. Knowing where the yard markers were, where the seams in the defense were, etc. He showed it, IMO, in the game...