Roster Question

plenzmd1

Okay, i got a question for you CBA experts out there. What is the differance between the PUP list and injured reserve. Seems to me if someone was hurt in preseason, why not just stick them on PUP list as opposed to keeping an injured player on the 53 man roster, or losing them for the year by going the Injured Reserve way. Seems to me you only lose the ability to practice, but if your hurt, how much you gonna practice anyway?

Are there cap ramifications that are differant than the IR? Is there some downside I don't see?

Just got my interest sparked by an article out of Boston thats it looks like Bruschi is going on the PUP list, where he already is, and is working out at the team facilities daily. Looks like he may not be 100% done for the season, as the door may not be wide open, but there is a crack there.

Link here, scroll down a bit to find the Bruschi bit

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/...&format=&page=3

I got this from a Titans message board:

• A player cannot be placed on the PUP if he starts training camp on the active roster (probably meant to discourage "stashing" of players after camp starts, but without guaranteeing a full year's salary if it's a non-vested player?)
  • There is PUP-active and PUP-reserve; sounds like PUP-reserve is the one that clears a roster spot, and I think PUP-active players can practice (but are eligible to be moved to PUP-reserve later, which must happen before the final cutdown date)
  • If you go on PUP-reserve, you are automatically out until at least week six (actually, one article made it sound like week 10, but I think it might be that you have to either activate, release, or IR the player by week 10; between week 6 and week 10 you can evaluate the PUP'ed player in practice before deciding, without that player taking a spot on the active roster). You cannot practice with the team until that post-week 6 evaluation period, but you can attend meetings and rehab with team staff.

Seems like the downside is having to decide before training camp (at least, designating the player as PUP-active by that point), and also losing the player for a minimum of 5-6 weeks of the regular season.

Source: http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=7511

I got this from a Titans message board:
  • A player cannot be placed on the PUP if he starts training camp on the active roster (probably meant to discourage "stashing" of players after camp starts, but without guaranteeing a full year's salary if it's a non-vested player?)

• There is PUP-active and PUP-reserve; sounds like PUP-reserve is the one that clears a roster spot, and I think PUP-active players can practice (but are eligible to be moved to PUP-reserve later, which must happen before the final cutdown date)

• If you go on PUP-reserve, you are automatically out until at least week six (actually, one article made it sound like week 10, but I think it might be that you have to either activate, release, or IR the player by week 10; between week 6 and week 10 you can evaluate the PUP'ed player in practice before deciding, without that player taking a spot on the active roster). You cannot practice with the team until that post-week 6 evaluation period, but you can attend meetings and rehab with team staff.

Seems like the downside is having to decide before training camp (at least, designating the player as PUP-active by that point), and also losing the player for a minimum of 5-6 weeks of the regular season.

Source: http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=7511

425328[/snapback]

THX for that, that must be the key, before camp opens. Thats the piece I was missing.