Cory Simon to sign with Colts

millbank

There remain a few incidental elements to be addressed, but ESPN.com confirmed Wednesday night through sources close to the negotiations that the Indianapolis Colts have reached agreement with defensive tackle Corey Simon on virtually all the major financial components of a contract, and that an agreement could be officially struck as early as Thursday morning.

Cory Simon

Not suprised the colts can sign him. I'm one of the people who strongly believe regardless of the mirage known as the "salary cap" if you want to sign someone you can find ways to do it. Good for the colts they now improved the most important position on the defensive side of the ball. I was really hoping with this being Ron Edwards final year on his contract and sam adams getting up their in age that we'd make a run for simon, but alas it was not meant to be. The colts will have a hell of a time though now working out contracts for freeney and edge

per PFT, the bonus money is 13M.......i bet over half of that is a 2006 roster bonus which he may never see, depending how this season goes........he couldn't have got all that much in upfront signing bonus given their cap situation.......

I wonder two things about this.

One-  Did Simon get anywhere near what his asking price was?

Two- How the hell can the Colts afford him?

425149[/snapback]

From the ESPN article.

poised to consummate what will likely be a five-year deal that could make Simon one of the NFL's highest paid defensive tackles.

Guess he, like Malloy, didn't fare to bad. If he gets the five year deal, you can bet a good portion is in an upfront signing bonus, which is what he was seeking.

Guess he, like Malloy, didn't fare to bad. If he gets the five year deal, you can bet a good portion is in an upfront signing bonus, which is what he was seeking.

425240[/snapback]

or a good portion of it is in a '06 roster bonus that forces the colts to commit to him then or cut him loose at the start of free agency, when the big dollars are available.......i.e. ian gold's and brian griese's contracts last year

The colts day will come...reggie wayne is also in a contract year this season, and there's no way they will be able to afford him. In a few years i see them like the titans this season...faced with the prospects of being 50 million over the cap and having well over 1/3 of your cap tied up in dead money...

or a good portion of it is in a '06 roster bonus that forces the colts to commit to him then or cut him loose at the start of free agency, when the big dollars are available.......i.e. ian gold's and brian griese's contracts last year

425248[/snapback]

I would not be so certain of that. Simon wouldn't sign the franchise in Philly becuase of the lack of long term security, so why would he do it Indy. Granted, his bargaining power is cut drastically by the time of the year, but still had at least three teams aggresively pursuing him accorging to all the articles I read. Can see the bonus split in some fashion, but I would think the first tranche to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $8-10M upfront, but I can certainly be wrong.

Also, I do not think this is a Ty Law deal, as Simon is not coming off a serios injury.

I would not be so certain of that. Simon wouldn't sign the franchise in Philly becuase of the lack of long term security, so why would he do it Indy. Granted, his bargaining power is cut drastically by the time of the year, but still had at least three teams aggresively pursuing him accorging to all the articles I read. Can see the bonus split in some fashion, but I would think the first tranche to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $8-10M upfront, but I can certainly be wrong.

Also, I do not think this is a Ty Law deal, as Simon is not coming off a serios injury.

425262[/snapback]

i think the timing of all this is key........teams just don't have a ton of cap room this time of year........

if the upfront bonus money was 8M that means 1.6M of it would hit the cap in '05.......add in an additional 600K or so in salary and your up over 2M.......i really don't think with the colts cap they could afford that kind of number........

but we shall see soon enough......details will be leaked in time.......

The colts day will come...reggie wayne is also in a contract year this season, and there's no way they will be able to afford him. In a few years i see them like the titans this season...faced with the prospects of being 50 million over the cap and having well over 1/3 of your cap tied up in dead money...

425254[/snapback]

The Colts do not waste money on Guards. The Colts do not pay safeties 3 million a year. The Colts do pay a RT 7 million. The COlts do not have a 5 million dollar cap hit from a bad QB. The Colts do not have a ton of money tied up in their LB's...

The Colts have spent a lot of money on Manning, Edge, Harrison, and now Simon.

Do the Bills not have a ton of money invested in Williams, Moulds, Spikes??

The Colts spend their money differently than the Bills do. If the Colts lose Wayne it is not like they are screwed. They will still have Harrison, Stokley, Clark, Manning and Edge. I think they will be just fine.... Freeney will come up and they will retain him. They are very Young in the defensive secondary. Jackson- 1st round pick and Doss and Sanders are excellent young safeties. Well Doss is when he is not suspended.... Tripplett can play and the LB core will be imporved. I look at this team and have to say the Colts made the right move. When you have Peyton Manning and the Offense that they do you have to take your shot sometime. Why not when Peyton is 29 years old......

425262[/snapback]

Because if he gets cut.... he will be 29 and get another signing bonus from someone else...

Polian is going for it this year- with all the free agents he will have in 06 he probably thinks he just added the final piece to the puzzle in Simon. Win it now or never.

425374[/snapback]

With Simon on board with that contract, Colts fans might as well just wave goodbye to Edge now. It'll save them a lot of time.

With Simon on board with that contract, Colts fans might as well just wave goodbye to Edge now.  It'll save them a lot of time.

425691[/snapback]

Wow.. I thought the plan was to keep Edge... Ha.. I sat in a Colts luncheon with Polian and Dungy. They stated out in the open that this was Edges last year and that running backs with the wear and tear that Edge have is the reason they did not lock him up to a long term deal. They will draft a rb next season...

well, 1 player isnt going to fix their defense. but it does help their D-Line.

better the colt, than the jets, fins, or pats.

425241[/snapback]

If he can play consistently at near PB level, then their D will be ALOT better. LOL, that's a big maybe. I just hope the Randy Moss type laziness isn't true.

Its planning like that which has locked them permanently behind the patriots.  Polian is drafting like a rotogoober these days.

425746[/snapback]

Yeah... Polian is an idiot. I mean Peyton, Harrison, Tarrick Glenn, Freeney, Edge, Clark, Doss, Sanders, Wayne... I mean these guys just plain suck. Polian cant draft a bit....

Its planning like that which has locked them permanently behind the patriots.  Polian is drafting like a rotogoober these days.

425746[/snapback]

They have the second highest winning percentage in the league over the last 7 years... They have not gotten past the Pats but has anyone in league done that yet... I love the Bills but the jealousy over this signing is a little strange..

It would be like Colts fans saying. Well good luck signing Evans, McGahee and Losman.....

The deal is an average of 6 million.... 6 million for a ProBowl DT.. Spikes makes more, Williams makes more...... Bledsoe this season for the Bills makes more... Fletcher makes good money. Our two safeties combine for 6 million in cap vs the Colts 1 million. Take the 5 million difference and that is how they afford Simon. Oh and the Bills are paying 3 million for Adams, Clements... How much are we paying Schobel??? 4 million?? The Colts have Freeney at a lower price than the Bills have Clements signed to this year... How much is Moulds making?? Teague?? The Colts have Manning, Harrison, Edge, Glenn, and now Simon signed to big deals. That is it folks... The Bills have more than that signed to big deals....