Disaster Self-preparedness

Terry Tate

Since it's on people's minds this week, depending on where you live, courtesy of the American Red Cross, how to prepare for and/or what to do in case of:

Blackouts

Chemical Emergencies

Drought

Earthquakes

Fires

Floods

Heat Waves

Hurricanes

Mudslides

Terrorism

Thunderstorms

Tornados

Tsunami

Volcano

Wildfires

Winter Storms

And a big list of different sources' survival kits compiled by Captain Dave.

Under winter storm, they forgot two important supplies. Beer while waiting out the storm, and a shovel for once it ends.

425199[/snapback]

They also forgot a wood stove and five cords of wood. You can cook on the wood stove, too.

I don't get people who think they can hack it w/ electric or oil only.

I don't get people who think they can hack it w/ electric or oil only.

425223[/snapback]

What do you mean, you "don't get it"? It's 2005. I'd venture to say less than 2% of American homes have a wood stove anymore. Yes, it's a GREAT idea to have one, but to say you "don't get people" is really a pompous was of saying "I have a wood burning stove. You don't? You're a Moron!"

What do you mean, you "don't get it"? It's 2005. I'd venture to say less than 2% of American homes have a wood stove anymore. Yes, it's a GREAT idea to have one, but to say you "don't get people" is really a pompous was of saying "I have a wood burning stove. You don't? You're a Moron!"

Forget the BBQ grills down south. Everyone should cook on woodstoves inside the house when a hurricane knocks out power in August. <_<:D

under volcano, they forgot to warn about Pyroclastic flows. They are fast moving fluidized bodies of hot gas, ash and rock. traveling up to 100 miles an hour. The gas is usually at a temperature of 100-800 degrees Celsius.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyroclastic_flow

how do you prepare for that???

simple.

DONT BE THERE WHEN IT HAPPENS. cus its your own damn fault for living at the base of a freakin volcano. if you see it happen in person, you arnt going to out run it.

425329[/snapback]

:D It was really a way of saying "You need a backup plan, and it's amazing how many people just don't have a practical plan." I was on winter vacation back in the 90s helping on my gandparents farm in WNY when they had one of the famous ice storms when the power was out for a week and a half. Not familiar with those, Steve? You will be, and I hope you're prepared. You need something besides systems that require electricity. Or have a generator to run sparingly.

under volcano, they forgot to warn about Pyroclastic flows. They are fast moving fluidized bodies of hot gas, ash and rock. traveling up to 100 miles an hour. The gas is usually at a temperature of 100-800 degrees Celsius.

simple.

DONT BE THERE WHEN IT HAPPENS. cus its your own damn fault for living at the base of a freakin volcano. if you see it happen in person, you arnt going to out run it.

425354[/snapback]

:D

After a tornado tore through Cincinnati in 1999, I bought a top of the line Radio Shack weather alert radio. Among the many kinds of alerts, one was "Volcano Warning". I confidently disabled it...

:D

After a tornado tore through Cincinnati in 1999, I bought a top of the line Radio Shack weather alert radio.  Among the many kinds of alerts, one was "Volcano Warning". I confidently disabled it...

425368[/snapback]

well it would be helpfull if you lived in washington state or oregon. <_<

simple.

425354[/snapback]

I saw South Park, all you need to do for a volcano is duck and cover.

Which one do I choose in case of Global Thermal Nuclear War?

425252[/snapback]

Just duck under a metal desk. That'll save you.

Also, disaster recovery in general will go much more smoothly if you pick who you are going to blame for it before-hand....