Rashard Lee.....

Buftex

Okay, I know you can only keep so many running backs on the roster, but I am a little perplexed by the release of Rashard Lee. I will admitt I have yet to watch the Bears exhibition in its' entirety, but I thought Lee was having a pretty nice pre-season. I saw, on the front of Two Bills drive, his 27 carries, 127 yards described as "disappointing" (almost 5 yards a carry), but I honestly liked what I saw from him. All of the runnig backs, except for Willis and Joe Burns have played pretty well.

Obviously, Willis makes the team (ya' think!), but Joe Burns? I know they say he is a special teams demon and all, but so was Sammy Morris. Lee looked awfully impressive on returns, did anyone see any indication that he couldn't cover on special teams?

I really like Shaud Williams as a change of pace guy, late in a game, but if Willis went down for an extended period of time, I am not so convinced that Williams could carry the offense. Gates may prove to be a great back-up, but he is still a rookie. I think the Vikings got a pretty nice waiver pick-up from us. Lee, to me, was a surprisingly fast, not a bad receiver, and a big guy to pound the ball. He also seemed thrilled to be in Buffalo. I hope we don't regret losing him.....

no. why did we need him? williams and gates are younger and more talented. the bills gave him a shot, it didn't work out, and they gave him the opportunity to catch on with someone else (vikings) before the season starts.

pretty sound personnel decision, IMO.

no.  why did we need him?  williams and gates are younger and more talented.  the bills gave him a shot, it didn't work out, and they gave him the opportunity to catch on with someone else (vikings) before the season starts.

423849[/snapback]

I agree that the move makes sense but I did love that huge kick-off return he had in the pre-season game. I know we have plenty of good return guys but it is still hard to let one go.

no.  why did we need him?  williams and gates are younger and more talented.  the bills gave him a shot, it didn't work out, and they gave him the opportunity to catch on with someone else (vikings) before the season starts.

423849[/snapback]

I guess my point was, if the only thing keeping Joe Burns on the roster (because we know he can't run the ball) is his special teams work, who is to say that Lee, or some other guy on the roster can't pick up that slack, and be able to run the ball as well. Burns seems to have one phase of his game, keeping him on the roster, why not keep a guy who might be able to contribute in two phases. Like I said, I like Shaud Williams and all, but I am not sure I am convinced he is a 20-25 yard carry a game back, if Willis should ever go down for a long stretch. Lee just seems like a better option.

BTW, Lee was a pretty solid special teams contributer for the Cowboys as well, and Parcells himself (hate him or don't) said that letting Lee go was "tough", but Lee had personally asked Parcells to let him go...Parcells described him as a "diamond in the rough".

I guess my point was, if the only thing keeping Joe Burns on the roster (because we know he can't run the ball) is his special teams work, who is to say that Lee, or some other guy on the roster can't pick up that slack, and be able to run the ball as well.  Burns seems to have one phase of his game, keeping him on the roster, why not keep a guy who might be able to contribute in two phases.  Like I said, I like Shaud Williams and all, but I am not sure I am convinced he is a 20-25 yard carry a game back, if Willis should ever go down for a long stretch.  Lee just seems like a better option. 

BTW, Lee was a pretty solid special teams contributer for the Cowboys as well, and Parcells himself (hate him or don't) said that letting Lee go was "tough", but Lee had personally asked Parcells to let him go...Parcells described him as a "diamond in the rough".

424238[/snapback]

burns can fill a triple role -- ST, backup FB, and way-way-way backup RB. i think it's clear that bobby april must like burns on his ST units. either that, or burns has those much-talked-about photos of TD's wife.

nothing against lee, but he doesn't have anything special to warrant keeping him over williams and gates. i don't really view burns as direct competition (b/c of the FB role).

Wasn't there a guy, I think his name was Jonathan Gray that was tearing up the preseason and everyone was surprised when he was cut? I haven't heard a thing about him since. No real loss in Lee.

I don't think we made a mistake releasing Lee - even if he was picked off of waivers (surprisingly to Minn - with their glut of RB by committee). The team likes the other backs we have... and he wasn't head and shoulders better than any of them... I'd rather have Shaud as backup given he has a year in the system.

[quote=PIZ,Aug 31 2005, 12:09 PMHis

His name was anthany gray,and he was tearing up the league that preseason,but the knock on him was that he was not very smart,could not learn much except to run.,he could not even remember the basic plays.The eagles tried him out after we cut him and he was released again.Rashard lee is a guy i would have kept,he was running well,he had that long return and he made one nice special teams tackle in the games he played in.Hes a servicable back,no question.I probably woud have kept 6 backs his year,because gates has been okay except in the bears game and burns flies down and makes plays on nearly every kickoff or punt.