New Orleans Saints Home Games

PTS

Not that this matters compared to what it going on, but I gotta feeling the Saints will be playing away football for at least half the season and I'm not talking about up the road in Baton Rouge. The entire city is being evacuated and now scores of officials are saying that it will be at least a month before people get back in.

I wonder if the NFL will transfer the Saints home games to their opponent's city. Sell tickets to those games and send all the revenue to disaster relief.

I doubt they will play additional "away" games at opponents stadiums. I have a feeling the NFL will secure another site which will be considered their "home" for this year.

423547[/snapback]

The Los Angeles Saints?

San Antonio seems to be the leading candidate. They have the Alamo Dome just sitting empty. They'd probably sell out every game, too. Saints owner Tom Benson has SA ties. Remember they were rumoured to be where the Vikings were moving to at one time.

PTR

San Antonio seems to be the leading candidate.  They have the Alamo Dome just sitting empty.  They'd probably sell out every game, too.  Saints owner Tom Benson has SA ties. Remember they were rumoured to be where the Vikings were moving to at one time.

PTR

423586[/snapback]

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=2147430

Saints director of operations James Nagaoka was in contact with officials from other cities, most notably San Antonio, about moving practices as early as next week. The team is currently practicing in San Jose, Calif., in advance of Thursday night's preseason game against the Oakland Raiders, and the preference is to return to a city in the South or the Southwest to begin preparations for the Sept. 11 regular-season opener.

Mike Abington, director of the Alamodome in San Antonio, confirmed the Saints have spoken to city officials. Nagaoka inquired about the availability of the San Antonio School District Spring Sports Complex, a site that could be under consideration for team practices. The Saints practiced at the site last September, when they were forced to leave New Orleans in advance of Hurricane Ivan. It is believed that Nagaoka also contacted officials from other cities in the southwest.

One league owner said he believed the Saints had begun "at least preliminary" talks about an alternative playing site, with the Alamodome topping the list. The owner said that he had heard Houston was a possible alternative practice site.

Man I hope it moves to San Antonio - I'd so go!

423669[/snapback]

Well, if it isn't my Favorite Longhorn Fan. :D

T-minus 10 days and counting until the Cows go back to Austin with their tails between their legs, buddy. :doh:

Mike

I was really looking forward to the game in NO this year. Probably will skip San Antonio, though I hear it's not a bad place to visit. My uncle runs the Alamodome and I'll find out what is going on there.

423660[/snapback]

I am pretty bummed. I already had planned on going to New Orleans for the Bills game. San Antonio is only about an hour away from me, but I love going to New Orleans. I just love that city, it is the most unique city in America, from my experiences. I feel horrible for those people. New Orleans is such a poor city as it is, it is just hard to see so many people, who have so little, losing what they do have. I almost took a job there about 4 years ago, but a good friend of mine recommended otherwise, hurricanes being just one of the reasons. In some strange way, it almost feels like 9/11 all over again. :doh:

Even if they would be able to resume the season at the Superdome who's going to go?? Do they really think that Saints fans went running through there house - OK, I got all the cash in the house.....the important papers and some pictures.....Oh, yeah where are those GD Saint's tickets??

Jeff

Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com says:

Saints will not play in Superdome this year. Odds are they will play at LSU's 91,000 seat stadium. The Alamo Dome in San Antonio is the #2 choice, but Saints may make S.A. their HQ for the season. The Mayor of Orlando has offered the Citrus Bowl to th Saints, but offer not likely to be accepted. (Bucs and Jags would have something to say about that!) L.A. Collesium was also mentioned.

PTR

Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com says:

Saints will not play in Superdome this year.  Odds are they will play at LSU's 91,000 seat stadium.  The Alamo Dome in San Antonio is the #2 choice, but Saints may make S.A. their HQ for the season.  The Mayor of Orlando has offered the Citrus Bowl to th Saints, but offer not likely to be accepted. (Bucs and Jags would have something to say about that!)  L.A. Collesium was also mentioned.

PTR

424228[/snapback]

Florio is retarded, and know we know that the saints WON'T be playing at LSU, since he reported it. Check the above link and S.A. looks as the best alternative for the saints...

the Quickie on ESPN has a great idea...auction off the location of the 1st home game to cities willing to host it, and donate the proceeds to the hurricane relief fund...

Florio is retarded, and know we know that the saints WON'T be playing at LSU, since he reported it. Check the above link and S.A. looks as the best alternative for the saints...

the Quickie on ESPN has a great idea...auction off the location of the 1st home game to cities willing to host it, and donate the proceeds to the hurricane relief fund...

424232[/snapback]

Nice idea, but I think it's a recipe for disaster to make a team play without a home field all year. They have to pick a city to call home.

I have a friend who is in N.O. working with disaster relief and he says things are worse than they thought. You can forget about the NFL in N.O. this year, and maybe forever.

Wherever they do play, the proceeds should go to Katrina relief!

PTR

I have to question - and by no means am I downplaying the severity of the issue in NO and Mississippi. It's devastating.

But I have to question - the NFL is a business - I cannot honestly see how the Saints or any other team can afford to donate all ticket revenue to disaster relief.

Again, not dismissing the severity of the issue - but we can't always place such enormous responsibility of national pride and responsibility on the NFL. It's just a business.

Not that this matters compared to what it going on, but I gotta feeling the Saints will be playing away football for at least half the season and I'm not talking about up the road in Baton Rouge. The entire city is being evacuated and now scores of officials are saying that it will be at least a month before people get back in.

I wonder if the NFL will transfer the Saints home games to their opponent's city. Sell tickets to those games and send all the revenue to disaster relief.

423541[/snapback]