Corey Simon a free agent now

billsburgh

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sun, 28 Aug 2005 17:27:15 -0700

The Philadelphia Eagles announced they have withdrawn the franchise tag designation on DT Corey Simon. Simon now becomes an unrestricted free agent. "We appreciate all that Corey has done for this organization over the last five years," said head coach Andy Reid. "With the great amount of depth and talent we have along the defensive line, we chose to give Corey an opportunity to sign with another team."

"[W]e chose to give Corey an opportunity to sign with another team."

421270[/snapback]

Kind of late in the day in cutting him loose to be sounding so magnanimous in a press release. If they weren't going to sign him, the honorable thing to do would have been to release him in June/July. He's pretty behind the curve signing with a new team now.

as per espnews breaking news.  Will the Toms go after him?

421267[/snapback]

I would hope so but as stated already, at the right price. As while we mght have more pressing needs, I say try to improve your team when get the chance instead of letting a competitor improve themselves and end up beating you as a result.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least to learn that the Bills will be making a big push to sign him.

421298[/snapback]

Hopefully they will. If the DL looks bad to TD, why not give him a chance. A former solid player with a lot of experience. Didn't we give Oliver Gibson a try last year?

They went after Gandy, who looks to have been a great move (when you consider what was available, what Jonas got, and how each has been playing), and Anderson, who isn't looking so hot.

421307[/snapback]

Sorry, unimressed. I am hoping that the Bills will devote FAR more resources than this to filling the important position of LT.

Sorry, unimressed. I am hoping that the Bills will devote FAR more resources than this to filling the important position of LT.

Like what? Draft a rookie LT with a 2nd round pick this year and play him? Trade a 1st and pay TONS of money for a franchised LT? Pay Jonas what he wanted? Trade for Shelton and his $3M pricetag? Sorry but LT's are hard to come-by, and to be able to get a guy like Gandy for peanuts, with Peters waiting in the wings, is the best anyone could have hoped-for.

Like what?  Draft a rookie LT with a 2nd round pick this year and play him?  Trade a 1st and pay TONS of money for a franchised LT?  Pay Jonas what he wanted?  Trade for Shelton and his $3M pricetag?  Sorry but LT's are hard to come-by, and to be able to get a guy like Gandy for peanuts, with Peters waiting in the wings, is the best anyone could have hoped-for.

421340[/snapback]

Well actually, the best we could've hoped for would be if TD and Co. had seen the Jennings situation coming (above-avg. LT in contract year where no other LTs likely to hit the market, plus JJ had said repeatedly he wanted out), and had draffted his replacement a year or two ago.

But I'd agree we aren't in a horrible situation overall. It's Bennie I worry about.

Well actually, the best we could've hoped for would be if TD and Co. had seen the Jennings situation coming (above-avg. LT in contract year where no other LTs likely to hit the market, plus JJ had said repeatedly he wanted out), and had draffted his replacement a year or two ago.

Any starting LT's come out of last year? How about after the 23rd pick in 2003? I don't know, I'm just asking.

But I'd agree we aren't in a horrible situation overall.  It's Bennie I worry about.

I think Preston, a 5th rounder, could replace him. I like what I've seen from him. If he can make it as a starter, I think that the draft will have been a successful one from the OL standpoint.

But I'd agree we aren't in a horrible situation overall.  It's Bennie I worry about.

421359[/snapback]

Hmm...Draft a replacement for JJ...a LT...Hmm...Mike Williams? Yeah, that worked out well.