Katrina could raise gas prices?

The market in Sydney, Australia's already open...US Gulf crude is already trading above $70.  :P  I'd bet when New York opens in the morning, it'll be in the $72-75 range, and could be $80 before the week's out.

421328[/snapback]

Since I don't buy crude oil by the barrel, could you translate that into $/gallon of gas?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You people need to get away from buying cars that rely on oil.

My DeLorean gets 426 miles per ounce of Plutonium. Sure it cost 400 bucks a pop every time I fill up but I only fill up three times a year max.

Anyway, anyone know a good place to get my Flux-Capacitor fixed? Midas is asking way too much.

You people need to get away from buying cars that rely on oil.

My DeLorean gets 426 miles per ounce of Plutonium. Sure it cost 400 bucks a pop every time I fill up but I only fill up three times a year max.

Anyway, anyone know a good place to get my Flux-Capacitor fixed? Midas is asking way too much.

421342[/snapback]

425 per ounce? You got robbed. Gotta go weapons grade. Get at least 832.

Since I don't buy crude oil by the barrel, could you translate that into $/gallon of gas?

421332[/snapback]

C'mon, stojan, you're smarter than that. Do the math. A jump from $65 to $70 is about 8%...I topped my tank off today at $2.73/gallon...add 8% for a first approximation - about 22 cents.

For a second approximation...the oil and gas markets aren't going to price rationally by supply and demand this week. Prices are going to be driven by greed and fear - mostly fear, obviously. A lot of the price increases lately have been driven by the fear that we'll run too low on available gas as national stocks on-hand decrease. Now they're going to decrease even faster, since we're getting no oil from the Gulf, no product from the refineries in the New Orleans area, and little transportation of petroleum products on the lower Mississippi for the near future. All that's going to feed the fear and drive prices what's beyond a rational reaction. I'll say flat-out that I expect gas to hit $3.00/gal by late Tuesday (I actually expect it'll hit that tomorrow evening), but given the fear that's going to run rampant in the market in the morning, if it hit $3.25 by Wednesday morning I wouldn't be all that surprised.

Anyone here see the film this summer about the oil crisis in America? It was a fictitious tale about a cat 5 hurricane that hit the gulf coast near Houston, causing HUGE oil problems and gas shortages. The film was done Docu-drama style. Made it look like it had happened, and they were covering it from the future. Like if we did a story on Discovery channel about the Mississippi river basin Floods from early '90s.

Anyways. The entire story was based on a Cat-5 hurricane hitting the gulf coast in the summer of '05. In the movie, the storm destroys drilling platforms, the ports, the refineries etc leading to massive gas shortages and a major depression in the USA. I know it was a work of fiction, but it is still ironic. Only 3 Cat-5 storms have ever hit the US now this is the fourth...

I hope the reality is nothing like the film. $7.50 a gallon will destroy an economy based on fuel pretty quick...

Anyone here see the film this summer about the oil crisis in America? It was a fictitious tale about a cat 5 hurricane that hit the gulf coast near Houston, causing HUGE oil problems and gas shortages. The film was done Docu-drama style. Made it look like it had happened, and they were covering it from the future. Like if we did a story on Discovery channel about the Mississippi river basin Floods from early '90s.

Anyways. The entire story was based on a Cat-5 hurricane hitting the gulf coast in the summer of '05. In the movie, the storm destroys drilling platforms, the ports, the refineries etc leading to massive gas shortages and a major depression in the USA. I know it was a work of fiction, but it is still ironic. Only 3 Cat-5 storms have ever hit the US now this is the fourth...

I hope the reality is nothing like the film. $7.50 a gallon will destroy an economy based on fuel pretty quick...

421354[/snapback]

The movie also speculated some sort of OPEC boycott, as I recall. In this case, the exact opposite's likely to happen. Stories were run this weekend about how worried OPEC is about high oil prices, and how much the want to lower them. Given that, you'd think they wouldn't exploit the situation.

The movie also speculated some sort of OPEC boycott, as I recall.  In this case, the exact opposite's likely to happen.  Stories were run this weekend about how worried OPEC is about high oil prices, and how much the want to lower them.  Given that, you'd think they wouldn't exploit the situation.

421362[/snapback]

No way CTM. When have the Oil Companies ever given us a break? Let alone OPEC?

I hope you are right, though. If this one is really bad, we will need a break...

I hope you are right, though. If this one is really bad, we will need a break...

421364[/snapback]

I didn't say they'd give us a break. I said they'd act in their own self-interest...which is being reported as keeping oil prices from getting any higher.

Just because their self-interest happens to correllate with ours, it doesn't mean they're cutting us a break. :P

421364[/snapback]

A shortage of oil and high gas prices is not a good thing for OPEC. It's only going to accelerate advances in alternative fuels, which in the end will bite them in the ass. Not saying we will ever give up our dependence on foreign oil, but it will eventually cut into their profits.

I received an e-mail forward from my grandfather telling me not to buy gas on september 1, and declaring september first as National Stick it up their behind day, as it would really screw up the oil companies' supply if nobody in America and Canada bought gas that day.  I won't be needing a fillup till the end of september, so this doesn't affect me personally, but it would be interesting as hell if the word actually got out.

As for the price going up due to the hurricane?  yes, this is absolutely true.  It happens all the time when storms hit anywhere in the oil supply route.  Oil companies use any type of excuse to raise rates.  Get gas tonight, or purchase a hydrogen fuel cell car tomorrow morning.  (i saw a show on bio diesel, and animal fat fuel...  it was the "30-days episode on fx where the people lived on a hippie commune.  I'm not too much of a gorp eating, tree hugging hippie, but the alternative fuels discussed in that show were quite interesting)

421174[/snapback]

How about nobody buy a house for 3 months to drive home prices down? :P

my turbocharged WRX requires premium though i might switch to 87 if these prices get too out of hand...hopefully i don't screw up my engine

though this is interesting

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-0...remiumgas_x.htm

All Porsche engines are designed for premium, too, but it's not available everywhere. "Our cars must be able to drive all over the world, and so we are able to run on regular," says Jakob Neusser, director of powertrain development at Porsche's research and development center in Weissach, Germany. "You don't have to feel that a mechanical problem or anything else will happen" using regular gas, even in the highest-performance, regular-production Porsches.

my turbocharged WRX requires premium though i might switch to 87 if these prices get too out of hand...hopefully i don't screw up my engine

though this is interesting

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-0...remiumgas_x.htm

421781[/snapback]

See what the manual says, but it's probably ok. But, expect a reduction in gas mileage as the engine management system adjusts several sub-systems to run under less-than-optimum combustion efficiency.

BTW, if you drive, say, 20K per year and average 20 mpg with that rapid vehicle, then

20,000 miles/20 mpg = 1,000 gal. X $0.20 price per gal. difference for hi-test = $200 per year divided by 52 weeks = $3.84 per week.

Not much per week, and you will get less milage by using 87 RON.

Personally, I'd stay with the specified octane...

actually, i drive about 11k a year and average roughly 25mpg (not happy about it since it's far lower than the camry i used to own, but apparently 25 is fantastic for a wrx)

but rather than drive my own car to work, i'll just adjust my schedule and ride with my wife

also, checked a few WRX msg boards and people are getting blasted for even suggesting the possibility of 87 octane in the gas tank for a FI vehicle rated for 93...the owners manual calls for 93 and says 87 is ok under emergency situations (i.e. run out of gas and 87 is all that is available)

so...guess i'll just put up and shut up and stick with 93

I got gas at Costco today for $2.48/gallon, on my way home from work. I was going to go down the street last night for gas, but decided to wait and I'm glad I did. However I'll have to fill-up the wife's minivan with the gas down the street, in anticipation of SKY HIGH prices soon. Good thing she doesn't drive that much.

For a second approximation...the oil and gas markets aren't going to price rationally by supply and demand this week.  Prices are going to be driven by greed and fear - mostly fear, obviously.  A lot of the price increases lately have been driven by the fear that we'll run too low on available gas as national stocks on-hand decrease.  Now they're going to decrease even faster, since we're getting no oil from the Gulf, no product from the refineries in the New Orleans area, and little transportation of petroleum products on the lower Mississippi for the near future.  All that's going to feed the fear and drive prices what's beyond a rational reaction.  I'll say flat-out that I expect gas to hit $3.00/gal by late Tuesday (I actually expect it'll hit that tomorrow evening), but given the fear that's going to run rampant in the market in the morning, if it hit $3.25 by Wednesday morning I wouldn't be all that surprised.

421352[/snapback]

Fear and greed. Is this the same rationalization that drives looters to loot? Or is it need? Then again, in some areas people get shot for looting.

Did gas prices spike after Camille? Then again, maybe all our "eggs" weren't in one refining basket?

On another note...

Where exactly do they dispose of all the fuel that gets contaminated with water?

:lol::lol: