v-coach - 7 players waived

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the purpose of keeping Woodbury was to USE him as something other than QB, when riding the pine as a needed-once-in-a-blue-moon emergency QB.  I would seriously like to know how many times ANY team had to resort to their 3rd string/emergency QB in a game, over the course of a year, 2 years, 3 years, whatever?  I doubt it happens more than twice a season.  Not high enough to warrant keeping a 3rd QB who can ONLY play QB, and not that well at that.

421059[/snapback]

The #3 QB can't play in the game, at any position, until the 4th quarter I think, unless you take one or both of the other guys out.

Unless there are injuries to your #1 and #2 QB, or either of the first two suck, your #3 simply isn't going to play. If, God forbid, Losman and Holcomb BOTH went down, do you really want Tory Woodbury running the Bills rather than Shane Matthews? Granted, yes, you could then re-sign him if he were a coach, but he wouldn't be in playing shape, or throwing to the receivers or running the plays in practice. The point really is that Woodbury is a marvelous athlete who is never going to play QB, he's David Dinkins revisited, in a little bigger, tougher body. And if the Bills weren't over-stocked with ST demons there may be a reason to keep him because he could help, but he won't even play ST, especially as #3 QB, and wouldn't even be available to run gadget plays as a Slash guy.

If JP and KH went down, I couldn't care less who played #3 QB. They get so few reps during the week that they're pretty much useless when they come into the game. However at least in Woodbury's case, he could be used during games at non-QB positions, and if he HAD to come in at QB, he could use his athleticism (roll-outs, scrambles, option, etc.) in addition to just handing-the-ball-off, like Matthews would be doing.

Oh and the 3rd QB can play a non-QB position during the game. Tom Tupa has been punting and a 3rd QB for years.

So how many more players need to go to get down to 65? And is it at ALL possible to cut some of the bums on IR? I know it doesnt count towards getting down to 65, and I'd keep Lawrence Smith on the squad for next season, but come on...Sobieski, Vann and Bentley havent shown anything, there is no reason to pay them. Injury settlements for all and then boot them out.

Tory Woodbury was never going to be an NFL QB - he's already 27, with about as many cuts to his name as Ryan Leaf. 

421067[/snapback]

In other words:

Woodbury has been cut so many times, OJ's expecting the police to be knocking on his door any minute.

If JP and KH went down, I couldn't care less who played #3 QB.  They get so few reps during the week that they're pretty much useless when they come into the game.  However at least in Woodbury's case, he could be used during games at non-QB positions, and if he HAD to come in at QB, he could use his athleticism (roll-outs, scrambles, option, etc.) in addition to just handing-the-ball-off, like Matthews would be doing.

Oh and the 3rd QB can play a non-QB position during the game.  Tom Tupa has been punting and a 3rd QB for years.

421081[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure that Tupa, when he has been the #3 QB, was listed on the active roster as the punter. If he came in as #3 quarterback, and played the position, the same rules would apply to other #3's, and if it were in the first three quarters of the game, the first two would not be able to return. If he were the punter and the #2 QB, no such rules would apply because he could play QB whenever. I also think there are rules against players like WR lining up behind center. Like I don't think a guy like Randel El can just go play quarterback on a play behind center. But I am not sure how that works.

I'm pretty sure that Tupa, when he has been the #3 QB, was listed on the active roster as the punter. If he came in as #3 quarterback, and played the position, the same rules would apply to other #3's, and if it were in the first three quarters of the game, the first two would not be able to return. If he were the punter and the #2 QB, no such rules would apply because he could play QB whenever. I also think there are rules against players like WR lining up behind center. Like I don't think a guy like Randel El can just go play quarterback on a play behind center. But I am not sure how that works.

Well this is a moot point since he was waived, but here goes. He'd get a QB number and be listed as #3. Since he wouldn't be taking snaps as a QB, he can play at any time, and most QB's don't play another position. If he WERE to enter the game, the rules would apply, i.e. the other QB's couldn't re-enter until the 4th. Another solution if that weren't possible is to make him #2 (so he could play elsewhere) and KH #3, and if JP went down, go immediately with KH, and then play TW elsewhere in the 4th quarter.

I mentioned about joining in meetings, but if Matthews is running the scout team and JP is running the 1st team, what is Holcomb doing? :D

421076[/snapback]

I believe the second guy (Holcomb) practices the gameplan with the starters a limited number of plays, gives JP a blow in practice, etc. The limited snap count is why the Bills are so fortunate to have a guy as experienced as Holcomb, who doen't need a lot of reps to get ready.

Well this is a moot point since he was waived, but here goes.  He'd get a QB number and be listed as #3.  Since he wouldn't be taking snaps as a QB, he can play at any time, and most QB's don't play another position.  If he WERE to enter the game, the rules would apply, i.e. the other QB's couldn't re-enter until the 4th.  Another solution if that weren't possible is to make him #2 (so he could play elsewhere) and KH #3, and if JP went down, go immediately with KH, and then play TW elsewhere in the 4th quarter.

421098[/snapback]

Well, no offense, but that's kind of dumb. If we were to play another position, he would take up an active roster spot for that position, and then you would have to assume that Tory Woodbury is better at the position (be it saftey or WR or RB or whatever) than the player he is in place of on the active roster. And if that were the case, Tory Woodbury would be playing at that position and be ahead on the depth chart of that player. Plus, the #2 idea is REALLY risky because if JP gets knocked woozy, or turns an ankle, or needs to be out for a couple plays or series or a quarter or a half, you're stuck with one QB for the entire game who is not your starter. And for what end? To try to get Tory Woodbury into the game for a couple trick plays the other team is looking for?

If JP and KH went down, I couldn't care less who played #3 QB.  They get so few reps during the week that they're pretty much useless when they come into the game.  However at least in Woodbury's case, he could be used during games at non-QB positions, and if he HAD to come in at QB, he could use his athleticism (roll-outs, scrambles, option, etc.) in addition to just handing-the-ball-off, like Matthews would be doing.

Oh and the 3rd QB can play a non-QB position during the game.  Tom Tupa has been punting and a 3rd QB for years.

421081[/snapback]

But then the 3rd QB has to be activated on game day. That isn't usually the case.

Not surprised by Rashard Lee cut. Our backfield is loaded. We have more than enough return men as well.

I'm just happy they kept Gates.

421091[/snapback]

According to the top post in this thread, it was Rob Lee the rookie cornerback that was cut, not Rashard Lee the running back.

Dave.

According to the top post in this thread, it was Rob Lee the rookie cornerback that was cut, not Rashard Lee the running back.

Dave.

421136[/snapback]

Read it again. It was both.

To head off future confusion: we have both Kevin Thompson and Kevin Thomas on our team, both of whom may be released.....

Read it again.  It was both. 

To head off future confusion: we have both Kevin Thompson and Kevin Thomas on our team, both of whom may be released.....

421138[/snapback]

My bad. Thanks for the correction.

Dave.

Thomas will probably just stay on PUP until mid-season.  If there are CB injuries he will be activated, assuming he's ready by then. Otherwise he'll be put on IR & not re-signed.

421148[/snapback]

Doesn't he take up a roster spot if he's PUP? I hope he makes it back, but if he takes up a roster spot and his prognosis is unclear, I've got to think there's at least a one in three chance they reach an injury settlement and cut him.

The #3 QB can't play in the game, at any position, until the 4th quarter I think, unless you take one or both of the other guys out.

421080[/snapback]

I think that's the case only if you list him as your emergency QB ie don't use one of the players on your active roster. If you list him active for the game than he can come in anytime/be replaced etc.

Well, no offense, but that's kind of dumb. If we were to play another position, he would take up an active roster spot for that position, and then you would have to assume that Tory Woodbury is better at the position (be it saftey or WR or RB or whatever) than the player he is in place of on the active roster. And if that were the case, Tory Woodbury would be playing at that position and be ahead on the depth chart of that player. Plus, the #2 idea is REALLY risky because if JP gets knocked woozy, or turns an ankle, or needs to be out for a couple plays or series or a quarter or a half, you're stuck with one QB for the entire game who is not your starter. And for what end? To try to get Tory Woodbury into the game for a couple trick plays the other team is looking for?

Forget it. It's pointless now.