predicrtions: teams that'll suck in 05

You are a glutton for punishment, aren't you?

418961[/snapback]

Sorry, I don't wear rose colored glasses. We are not playing the NFC West again this year. We are playing TB, NO, Car, and Atl. So even if we split all the games in our division and go 3-3, we still have those 4 games, Hous, Oak, KC, SD, Denv, and Cincy. That's not an easy schedule, and other then NO, and KC, there isn't a terrible defense there.

Tell me where you think we win more then 6 games?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I don't wear rose colored glasses.  We are not playing the NFC West again this year.  We are playing TB, NO, Car, and Atl.  So even if we split all the games in our division and go 3-3, we still have those 4 games, Hous, Oak, KC, SD, Denv, and Cincy.  That's not an easy schedule, and other then NO, and KC, there isn't a terrible defense there. 

418971[/snapback]

It could be time for the early prediction thread. Have to head to work, now though. Quick answer is anything from 8-8 to 10-6, depending on who loses the 3 point games.

Sorry, I don't wear rose colored glasses.  We are not playing the NFC West again this year.  We are playing TB, NO, Car, and Atl.  So even if we split all the games in our division and go 3-3, we still have those 4 games, Hous, Oak, KC, SD, Denv, and Cincy.  That's not an easy schedule, and other then NO, and KC, there isn't a terrible defense there. 

418971[/snapback]

Assuming that we stay somewhat healthy, I am looking for more than 6 wins.

I think that a lot may hinge on the decision making of MM.

By this I mean that if JP is good, we can certainly sweep the phish (4-2 in the div.) and go 3-1 in the NFC (7 so far.). After that, I see no reason why we cannot win at least 2 of the other six games you list (9-7).

If JP does NOT play well, much imo will depend on how fast MM yanks him off the field, because it isn't a HUGE stretch for Holcombe to win 8 or 9 games, is it?

Part of the reason for my rare optimism is that unlike AKC and Simon, I don't think the Bills will lose much for no longer having Pat Williams. I was not thrilled by his play last season. He was good mind you, but I certainly was not in awe.

Btw, Simon and AKC disagree about PW, and more often than not, when one disagrees with them, said person is wrong. :devil:

Assuming that we stay somewhat healthy, I am looking for more than 6 wins.

I think that a lot may hinge on the decision making of MM.

By this I mean that if JP is good, we can certainly sweep the phish (4-2 in the div.) and go 3-1 in the NFC (7 so far.). After that, I see no reason why we cannot win at least 2 of the other six games you list (9-7).

If JP does NOT play well, much imo will depend on how fast MM yanks him off the field, because it isn't a HUGE stretch for Holcombe to win 8 or 9 games, is it?

Part of the reason for my rare optimism is that unlike AKC and Simon, I don't think the Bills will lose much for no longer having Pat Williams. I was not thrilled by his play last season. He was good mind you, but I certainly was not in awe.

Btw, Simon and AKC disagree about PW, and more often than not, when one disagrees with them, said person is wrong.  :devil:

418985[/snapback]

Good point on Simon/AKC. I see a little drop off on the dline, as I have pointed out before. There were times last year when it seemed like teams could just flat out run whenever they wanted on us. It seems to me losing Williams will make that even more often.

I can see where some would predict 8-8, 9-7. I just think TB is better then a lot of folks give them credit for, plus it's in their house. I see 3-3 in division. We beat NO, Oak, and maybe Hous. Beyond that I think the other teams are just a little ahead of us, and not confident in winning any of those.

Good point on Simon/AKC.  I see a little drop off on the dline, as I have pointed out before.  There were times last year when it seemed like teams could just flat out run whenever they wanted on us.  It seems to me losing Williams will make that even more often. 

I can see where some would predict 8-8, 9-7.  I just think TB is better then a lot of folks give them credit for, plus it's in their house.  I see 3-3 in division.  We beat NO, Oak, and maybe Hous.  Beyond that I think the other teams are just a little ahead of us, and not confident in winning any of those.

418993[/snapback]

Well, let's assume that there IS a little drop off on the DL. Spikes, Fletch and 2 healthy safeties should more than compensate. Edwards is (imo) not a BAD player, and Anderson is young, but seems to be highly regarded.

None of the non-divisional teams that we face are great imo. Even San Diego seems to have flaws, and are you THAT impressed by Carolina and the Bucs? I am not, but the Falcons do scare me.

Most teams today are about the same. Things like kick coverage matter more than ever, and this seems to be an area at which the Bills excel.

I will never fault a Bills fan for pessimism. We all cope in different ways. :devil:

I am still not at all sold on Gandy for one, but I think we can do better than 6 wins.

Well, let's assume that there IS a little drop off on the DL. Spikes, Fletch and 2 healthy safeties should more than compensate. Edwards is (imo) not a BAD player, and Anderson is young, but seems to be highly regarded.

None of the non-divisional teams that we face are great imo. Even San Diego seems to have flaws, and are you THAT impressed by Carolina and the Bucs? I am not, but the Falcons do scare me.

Most teams today are about the same. Things like kick coverage matter more than ever, and this seems to be an area at which the Bills excel.

I will never fault a Bills fan for pessimism. We all cope in different ways.  :devil:

I am still not at all sold on Gandy for one, but I think we can do better than 6 wins.

419007[/snapback]

And see I think between Atl, Car, and TB, that Atlanta is the more winnable game. Thats what makes us all different.

BTW, I too like Edwards. I don't know about Anderson. The only real issue with Edwards is that he is quick and has at times shown that he doesn't have the discipline to stay at home like Williams did. With Adams and Edwards both liking to shoot gaps, the LBers could get a lot of olinemen on them quickly and some big runs.

I am not pessimistic. I think 6-10 or better would be good for this team and will allow JP to grow. I would be satisfied if he does that.

Just looking at it with open eyes. 

Oline issues still

questions on dline

still don't trust Mcgee at corner

question at TE still

raw, young Qb

If we win more then 6 games, I will be very happy with the team, and our progress.

We do however have a good overall defense, good special teams, and good WR's.

418958[/snapback]

Which OL looks better to you, keeping in mind this years team has a full off season and training camp under McNally and Mularkey, a healthy Willis over TRAVIS, and Evans for the whole year? You can add or subtract Losman and Bledsoe, for strengths and weaknesses.

Gandy - Jennings

Anderson - Lawrence Smith

Teague - Teague

Villarial - Villarial

Williams - Williams

Tucker - Tucker

Preston - Sobieski

Peters - Price

McFarland (2) - McFarland (1)

Non-active Scrub Non active scrub

Looks about even to me. Gandy is likely a loss and Anderson, no matter how bad he is, which he isn't, is an upgrade. Price may be a slight loss but Peters looks good as a back-up. I would say Preston is already an upgrade over Sobieski. I think the right line combination of Teague-Villarial-Williams should be a significant upgrade over Teague-Villarial-Williams because of the extra year together, with McNally and Williams blossoming. Add Evans over Reed, and Willis over Travis for half the year, which in your mind alone is the equivalent of say, George Bush over John Kerry running our country instead of the ball, and there should be a better offense this year as opposed to last year, even with all of JP's limitations, unless you insist Bledsoe doesnt have any.

Notice that in every game you predicted, you never once gave the Bills the benefit of the doubt. All games when they were "slightly behind" other teams, which is hard to believe when we have the top ST and #2 defense, I believe seven of them, you assumed was a loss. That is just plain cynical or negative.

Which OL looks better to you, keeping in mind this years team has a full off season and training camp under McNally and Mularkey, a healthy Willis over TRAVIS, and Evans for the whole year? You can add or subtract Losman and Bledsoe, for strengths and weaknesses.

Gandy      -        Jennings

Anderson  -        Lawrence Smith

Teague    -          Teague

Villarial    -          Villarial

Williams  -          Williams

Tucker      -          Tucker

Preston    -          Sobieski

Peters      -          Price

McFarland (2) -    McFarland (1)

Non-active Scrub Non active scrub

Looks about even to me. Gandy is likely a loss and Anderson, no matter how bad he is, which he isn't, is an upgrade. Price may be a slight loss but Peters looks good as a back-up. I would say Preston is already an upgrade over Sobieski. I think the right line combination of Teague-Villarial-Williams should be a significant upgrade over Teague-Villarial-Williams because of the extra year together, with McNally and Williams blossoming. Add Evans over Reed, and Willis over Travis for half the year, which in your mind alone is the equivalent of say, George Bush over John Kerry running our country instead of the ball, and there should be a better offense this year as opposed to last year, even with all of JP's limitations, unless you insist Bledsoe doesnt have any.

Notice that in every game you predicted, you never once gave the Bills the benefit of the doubt. All games when they were "slightly behind" other teams, which is hard to believe when we have the top ST and #2 defense, I believe seven of them, you assumed was a loss. That is just plain cynical or negative.

419029[/snapback]

Evans started 11 games last year, Reed only started one.

I think Bledsoe right now is a better QB then JP, yes, but I also agree Bledsoe wasn;t getting us anywhere and needed to go.

As much as I faulted Jennings and said he was average he was better then Gandy by a lot IMHO. ANd I agree Anderson is a better G then Smith. However, upgrading a guard and taking an already very average LT and degrading the position even more,makes the line worse.

Again, you didn't read because I give the benefit of the doubt against Houston, NO, and Oakland. I think we beat Miami twice and the jets once. I think SD, KC, and Carolina are lightyears ahead of us.

I give the benefit of the doubt in three games to Denver, Cincy and TB. SO a .500 record in division, a .500 record on push games and saying we are worse then 3 teams doesn't cut it for you.

Evans started 11 games last year, Reed only started one. 

I think Bledsoe right now is a better QB then JP, yes, but I also agree Bledsoe wasn;t getting us anywhere and needed to go. 

As much as I faulted Jennings and said he was average he was better then Gandy by a lot  IMHO.  ANd I agree Anderson is a better G then Smith.  However, upgrading a guard and taking an already very average LT and degrading the position even more,makes the line worse. 

Again, you didn't read because I give the benefit of the doubt against Houston, NO, and Oakland.  I think we beat Miami twice and the jets once.  I think SD, KC, and Carolina are lightyears ahead of us. 

I give the benefit of the doubt in three games to Denver, Cincy and TB.  SO a .500 record in division, a .500 record on push games and saying we are worse then 3 teams doesn't cut it for you.

419040[/snapback]

No, what you SAID was:

I just think TB is better then a lot of folks give them credit for, plus it's in their house. I see 3-3 in division. We beat NO, Oak, and maybe Hous. Beyond that I think the other teams are just a little ahead of us, and not confident in winning any of those.

That is 6 games in the division, we beat NO and OAK and maybe HOU, and that all of the other teams are slightly better than us, which were all losses. That's seven games, as I stated.

If you watched the games, you would know that Evans was used as a #2 and #3 and #4 WR for most of the first half of the season. For example, he started opening day because the first play we were in a three wide set. And then he came out. He played in all games but wasn't really a major factor until about halfway through. The point being that he really came on in the second half and he is likely to be a bigger factor on the entire season this year. I noticed that you refused to acknowledge the Willis vs Travis factor altogther.

Offensive lines are good as units because of four main things, IMO. They are, not neceesarily in order, individual talent, playing together and as a unit, good coaching on offenive line especially as well as play-calling, and the talents of those around them.

The Bills havent had the same coaches or good coaches or players playing together for quite some time. McNally and MM's second year cannot be overlooked. The right side together and coached well cannot be overlooked. The talent the Bills have on offense this year is simply better overall than last. MM should be a better game planner and game day coach in his second year as he went through some struggles. I see us worse in a couple spots but a lot better in a couple spots, which should make us score about the same but control the ball and be in position to win a lot of games, with our D and ST.

418971[/snapback]

The thing is, some teams take those problems you listed and are able to solve them, others cannot. We have no idea how this will play out.

A lot of the problems you mentioned for the Bills, or similar ones, could easily apply to many of the teams you mentioned. How about these:

TB, ATL: QB issues,

ATL: inexperienced receiver corps

CAR: RB injury problems

OAK: new starter at RB

KC: major questions on defense

I could go on, but I don't need to. Most teams in the middle of the pack, which is where the Bills have to be considered after last year, can't really be judged to be any better or worse at this point.

The thing is, some teams take those problems you listed and are able to solve them, others cannot.  We have no idea how this will play out.

A lot of the problems you mentioned for the Bills, or similar ones, could easily apply to many of the teams you mentioned.  How about these:

TB, ATL: QB issues,

ATL: inexperienced receiver corps

CAR: RB injury problems

OAK: new starter at RB

KC: major questions on defense

I could go on, but I don't need to.  Most teams in the middle of the pack, which is where the Bills have to be considered after last year, can't really be judged to be any better or worse at this point.

419067[/snapback]

And with that I agree. My points are we are better in some areas (safety, LG, WR, RB) then last year, and worse in others. I think our young QB will stuggle more then others think this year and we'll be okay long term. We are saying the same things, I am not doom and gloom, just see things a little differently.

How is that different?

419064[/snapback]

It's different because it's not the same thing. :devil:

Here is the sequence of events:

1. You said we split the division, we beat a couple teams worse than us, and then you said "ALL" of the other teams on the schedule are "just a little ahead of us", which you assigned all losses. Seven, and maybe eight (if you count Houston, which you said was a "maybe" win and maybe loss.

2. I came back and responded to your post, saying that is cynical and negative because "ALL" of those 7-8 teams you had stated as "just a little ahead of us" you assigned losses to.

3. You came back and said I didn't read. Changed your stance to say three of those 7-8 teams were "light years ahead of us" and then asked why is it different. duh.

It's different because it's not the same thing.  :devil:

Here is the sequence of events:

1. You said we split the division, we beat a couple teams worse than us, and then you said "ALL" of the other teams on the schedule are "slightly better than us", which you assigned all losses. Seven, and maybe eight (if you count Houston, which you said was a "maybe" win and maybe loss.

2. I came back and responded to your post, saying that is cynical and negative because "ALL" of those 7-8 teams you had stated as "slightly better than us" you assigned losses to.

3. You came back and said I didn't read. Changed your stance to say three of those 7-8 teams were "light years ahead of us" and then asked why is it different.

419072[/snapback]

Sorry, I unlike you am not a politician, and look for every nuance in everything I say or write. You want to feel good about yourself and everything said about everything around you go listen to Howard Dean. Otherwise, provide some leaway for us, non-politicos

And with that I agree.  My points are we are better in some areas (safety, LG, WR, RB) then last year, and worse in others.  I think our young QB will stuggle more then others think this year and we'll be okay long term.  We are saying the same things, I am not doom and gloom, just see things a little differently.

419068[/snapback]

How is getting "better in some areas (safety, LG, WR, RB)" and "worse in others", and then saying we are going to win 3-4 less games not a doom and gloom outlook?

How is getting "better in some areas (safety, LG, WR, RB)" and "worse in others", and then saying we are going to win 3-4 less games not a doom and gloom outlook?

419080[/snapback]

Because we got a lot worse in a couple of areas. I also think certain areas teams did not exploit our weaknesses last year, but will have time, and tape to do so this year.