LAMP--Alexandria and Fairfax VA

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Woodbridge is nothing but a big bedroom town. Can be hard to get in from too. Get as close to work as is reasonable.

418682[/snapback]

Actually if he goes into work early, before 0630 Woodbridge isn't bad. Shoot up 1 to Telegraph to backlick he can be in the office in 20 minutes. Otherwise he has to wait until 0800.

For the Alexandria station, it might be possible to rent a nice place in the Hybla Valley area. There is what I have heard is a decent elementary and middle school on Telegraph Road not far from the new Van Dorn extension. (You could be within 5 miles or so of the school) I'm not certain, but I think the Navy recruiter is on Route 7, so it would be a quick commute.  I work for a Defense Agency that has a lot of active duty military, many places will be available for rent when the next major PCS turnover happens. Peruse the fort Belvoir website for non-agency rentals. Hybla Valley is a lot more rural/sub urb than being up in the high rise areas. I'll check with some folks at work tomorrow.  When do they want you to move?

418598[/snapback]

I live in that area (Van Dorn & Telegraph) and most of the elementary and middle schools in that area are good. Hybla Valley used to be run down but mall is being remodelled and area in general in is improving. I know a number of people who live in the area.

Recruiting station in Alexandria is at 7609B Richmond Hwy, Alexandria, VA 22306

http://www.google.com/maps?q=navy+recruiti...4&start=0&hl=en

Outside city of Alexandria

Recruiting station in "Fairfax" is 6198 Franconia Rd, Alexandria, VA 22310

It is really Springfield

http://www.google.com/maps?q=navy+recruiti...1&start=0&hl=en

This later part is conjecture and it is possible that it moved from one location to another.

Both are in same general area; driving between the two is a pain in the butt for there are basically only a few routes and all are over utilized.

My brother Rory (those who have been to tailgates have met him) used to be a Seabee.

I live in that area (Van Dorn & Telegraph) and most of the elementary and middle schools in that area are good.    Hybla Valley used to be run down but mall is being remodelled and area in general in is improving.  I know a number of people who live in the area. 

418703[/snapback]

Amazing how many people on the board seem to live right around the corner...

Nobody has mentioned the Metro as an alternaitve to driving - if you're working in DC that might be a good option. I get to downtown DC from Alexandria in roughly 30 minutes, daily. It'd be difficult to do that driving.

I live in that area (Van Dorn & Telegraph) and most of the elementary and middle schools in that area are good.    Hybla Valley used to be run down but mall is being remodelled and area in general in is improving.  I know a number of people who live in the area. 

Recruiting station in Alexandria is at 7609B Richmond Hwy, Alexandria, VA 22306

http://www.google.com/maps?q=navy+recruiti...4&start=0&hl=en

Outside city of Alexandria

Recruiting station in "Fairfax" is 6198 Franconia Rd, Alexandria, VA 22310

It is really Springfield

http://www.google.com/maps?q=navy+recruiti...1&start=0&hl=en

This later part is conjecture and it is possible that it moved from one location to another.

Both are in same general area; driving between the two is a pain in the butt for there are basically only a few routes and all are over utilized.

My brother Rory (those who have been to tailgates have met him) used to be a Seabee.

418703[/snapback]

I've seen a few for rent signs around your place, but was thinking the townhomes just past the intersection where I work, almost across from Van Dorn. We almost rented one there for $1750, very large 3 bedroom with a finished family room basement. Nice and quiet, too.

Nobody has mentioned the Metro as an alternaitve to driving - if you're working in DC that might be a good option.  I get to downtown DC from Alexandria in roughly 30 minutes, daily. It'd be difficult to do that driving.

418718[/snapback]

Only problem is he is a military recruiter and needs his car.

Nobody has mentioned the Metro as an alternaitve to driving - if you're working in DC that might be a good option.  I get to downtown DC from Alexandria in roughly 30 minutes, daily. It'd be difficult to do that driving.

418718[/snapback]

It is funny how many folks live down there in that area. Do alot of you get together at any certain spot for the games?

I've seen a few for rent signs around your place, but was thinking the townhomes just past the intersection where I work, almost across from Van Dorn. We almost rented one there for $1750, very large 3 bedroom with a finished family room basement. Nice and quiet, too.

418719[/snapback]

Might be something to look into

418718[/snapback]

He'll be working this side of the river. But, you're right. Whenever I have to go into DC it's yellow line for me. Most places I go are usually within a block or two of a metro stop. Parking is easy at the Huntington station, too.

It is funny how many folks live down there in that area. Do alot of you get together at any certain spot for the games?

418725[/snapback]

I would but BiB likes to play with things that go boom. I just don't like the afterglow I get when he does that.

On occassion Bib and the monkey boy eat lunch at a sammich place near my work. Damn good stuff. Except they seem to get sick a lot or have to go to stupid user meetings.

418725[/snapback]

There's a very good Bills bar in Arlington. right off the beltway and easy to get to. Very popular, need reservations if you want a table. The simian, his frau and I go there on occassion, lots of bills jerseys, don't know who else from here.

There's a very good Bills bar in Arlington. right off the beltway and easy to get to. Very popular, need reservations if you want a table. The simian, his frau and I go there on occassion, lots of bills jerseys, don't know who else from here.

418743[/snapback]

cool

I cant stand the Deadskins and really dont want to have to watch them every Sunday

have to go to stupid user meetings.

418733[/snapback]

You have no idea...

"Okay, we have a link on this web page, it says 'Main Menu'. Which page is the main menu?"

"Uhhh...we don't have one."

"Okay, then which page should it go to?"

"Uhhh...how about this page right here?"

"Okay, that's the page the link is on. Is that the main menu?"

"Uhhhh...no."

"Then why is a link that says "Main Menu" going there?"

"Maybe we need to create a menu page..."

"Gee, gomer, ya think????"

:lol::lol::lol:

You have no idea...

"Okay, we have a link on this web page, it says 'Main Menu'.  Which page is the main menu?"

"Uhhh...we don't have one."

"Okay, then which page should it go to?"

"Uhhh...how about this page right here?"

"Okay, that's the page the link is on.  Is that the main menu?"

"Uhhhh...no."

"Then why is a link that says "Main Menu" going there?"

"Maybe we need to create a menu page..."

"Gee, gomer, ya think????"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

418776[/snapback]

And you went to that instead of eating sandwiches and getting a copy of the game? :lol:

And you went to that instead of eating sandwiches and getting a copy of the game?  :lol:

418777[/snapback]

Trust me...if I don't go to these meetings, these pinheads don't even accomplish THAT much. Last meeting I skipped, they ditched a three-tier enterprise architecture for an honest-to-God mainframe architecture. I actually had cause to be down that way today, to deliver a drive to the business center upstairs from the Atrium. They didn't let me, because they needed me to hold their hands through that meeting.

And that discussion, by the way...it took a !@#$ing half an hour. Friggin' retatta-eating morons...