LAMP--Alexandria and Fairfax VA

I was offered a job in either Alexandria of Fairfax VA today (my choice where basically) and need to know a few things before making my decision. I also will be bringing along a wife and 2 kids (9 and 7).

1. I hear Northern VA schoools are some of the best in Virginia. Is this true?

2. How is the cost of living in either area?

3. Does the commute really suck being near DC?

4. What would be the best areas to live in factoring in crime rates and stuff like that?

I live in a small town in the Southern Tier of NY called Hornell and not much happens here. Maybe there is a place near either city I could check out.

418511[/snapback]

1. Probably

2. Outrageously high (housing).

3. The traffic is worse than "really sucks."

4. I'll defer to VABills, Ghost o' BiB, et al.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay looks like the Franconia one is the Alexandria station. The fairfax one is on Waples Mill in Fairfax City.

If I was you I would take the Franconia one near the mall, and live in Lorton. Between 95 and Route 1, you have two direct routes and you have a ton of back ways up there as well. In addition, if you need to get somewhere near the subway, there is a station right there at Franconia, probably less then a mile away.

How often do you use the hospital vs grocery shop?

Well...if we're talking you...never mind. Walter Reed isn't that far.

418612[/snapback]

30 miles.

And I agree. The commissary at Belvoir is pretty good. Couple of decent golf courses, expensive though unless you buy the yearly membership. Plus they run a pretty good set of sports programs for the military familys there. Belvoir has a base vet clinic if that is important as well.

I'll try to answer alot of stuff here:

1758 is bah (old BAQ) there is no cola.. but there is another program where I could have the Corp of Engineers find and pay for a house and utilities minus phone and cable(just like base housing).

My kids are 7 and 9 years old and are active in most sports.

Backroads would be great to get to/from work

Would my wife be able to shop and work and run daily errands without hittin the highway? I like it better when she drives with her eyes open :lol:

I am due to transfer in May but they asked today how soon I could get there so that could dhange.

I have never owned a house and would prolly still rent since I would be leaving in 3 or 4 years.

Any info on the housing subject would be great!!

I'll try to answer alot of stuff here:

1758 is bah (old BAQ) there is no cola.. but there is another program where I could have the Corp of Engineers find and pay for a house and utilities minus phone and cable(just like base housing).

My kids are 7 and 9 years old and are active in most sports.

Backroads would be great to get to/from work

Would my wife be able to shop and work and run daily  errands without hittin the highway? I like it better when she drives with her eyes open :lol:

I am due to transfer in May but they asked today how soon I could get there so that could dhange.

I have never owned a house and would prolly still rent since I would be leaving in 3 or 4 years.

Any info on the housing subject would be great!!

418626[/snapback]

We'll look out for you, Bro. I can tell you right now that $1758 is not going to touch much within range of what you want, single family home wise. That is, worth living in. There are some very nice, roomy 3 bedroom townhomes you might get closer too. I'd seriously pursue the military to miltary connection around Belvoir. May is the late spring PCS cycle, and someone could be looking to rent their place out to someone responsible at a lesser cost than something managed through a realtor. Since everything is Joint Operations around here, no one looks cross eyed at squids on post. :lol: If you get lonely, the Coast Guard station is just up the road about a mile. :lol:

We'll look out for you, Bro. I can tell you right now that $1758 is not going to touch much within range of what you want, single family home wise. That is, worth living in. There are some very nice, roomy 3 bedroom townhomes you might get closer too. I'd seriously pursue the military to miltary connection around Belvoir. May is the late spring PCS cycle, and someone could be looking to rent their place out to someone responsible at a lesser cost than something managed through a realtor. Since everything is Joint Operations around here, no one looks cross eyed at squids on post.  :lol: If you get lonely, the Coast Guard station is just up the road about a mile.  :lol:

418633[/snapback]

Right across from a golf course. I think the coasties flood the damn thing all the time for training though. :lol:

You may want to consider buying if you can. And BiB's right you may have to look townhouse. But the housing market is going up fast here and with the BRAC stuff not gonna slow down for a while. Quantico is picking up around 5-6 thousand new positions, Belvoir even though they are loosing the hospital is picking up 20,000 new spots and the whole area is realigning and moving a lot of stuff out of the main city areas and down to places in Prince William county. They are building a campus out there.

Oh shopping, yeah she can take the back roads to Spingfield Mall, which used to be better, but still okay. Potomac mills is down 95 about 10 miles from Springfield.

Out in Fairfax there is more shopping, but it really is a lot more expensive out that way.

Oh an the Engineers are putting a lot of guys up in housing in Woodbridge and at Quantico for those working up north. So the commute gets longer.

Yes they will but I'm pretty sure I can offload them at a yardsale before the move for cheap!!!

418627[/snapback]

I know someone at Norfolk who will buy them. Just so he can have backup copies. :lol:

Of course he maybe back in Iraq loading corrossive nerve agents into harm missles that launch off drones.

We'll look out for you, Bro. I can tell you right now that $1758 is not going to touch much within range of what you want, single family home wise. That is, worth living in. There are some very nice, roomy 3 bedroom townhomes you might get closer too. I'd seriously pursue the military to miltary connection around Belvoir. May is the late spring PCS cycle, and someone could be looking to rent their place out to someone responsible at a lesser cost than something managed through a realtor. Since everything is Joint Operations around here, no one looks cross eyed at squids on post.  :lol: If you get lonely, the Coast Guard station is just up the road about a mile.  :lol:

418633[/snapback]

I was a Navy Seabee (construction guy on the ground only) before I became a recruiter so the Coasties will have to get along without me.

Right across from a golf course.  I think the coasties flood the damn thing all the time for training though.  :lol:

You may want to consider buying if you can.  And BiB's right you may have to look townhouse.  But the housing market is going up fast here and with the BRAC stuff not gonna slow down for a while.  Quantico is picking up around 5-6 thousand new positions, Belvoir even though they are loosing the hospital is picking up 20,000 new spots and the whole area is realigning and moving a lot of stuff out of the main city areas and down to places in Prince William county.  They are building a campus out there.

Oh shopping, yeah she can take the back roads to Spingfield Mall, which used to be better, but still okay.  Potomac mills is down 95 about 10 miles from Springfield. 

Out in Fairfax there is more shopping, but it really is a lot more expensive out that way.

Oh an the Engineers are putting a lot of guys up in housing in Woodbridge and at Quantico for those working up north.  So the commute gets longer.

418653[/snapback]

Coasties that flood a golf course should be considered terrorists and shot!!!

I've never heard of Woodbridge but I'm sure Quantico would be WAY too much brass for my liking

I was a Navy Seabee (construction guy on the ground only) before I became a recruiter so the Coasties will have to get along without me.

418667[/snapback]

Oh a Seabee. :lol:

Do you eat out entire chowhalls and walk around looking like a slob still? All the ones we worked with in Japan sure the hell did. :lol:

Coasties that flood a golf course should be considered terrorists and shot!!!

I've never heard of Woodbridge but I'm sure Quantico would be WAY too much brass for my liking

418669[/snapback]

Quantico's okay. Marine base. Woodbridge is just a big town south of the Fairfax county line. The military built and rented a whole are of houses in there a few years back for just this purpose.

Oh a Seabee.  :lol: 

Do you eat out entire chowhalls and walk around looking like a slob still?  All the ones we worked with in Japan sure the hell did.  :lol:

418673[/snapback]

I was a totally different person back then!!! :lol: