LAMP--Alexandria and Fairfax VA

I was offered a job in either Alexandria of Fairfax VA today (my choice where basically) and need to know a few things before making my decision. I also will be bringing along a wife and 2 kids (9 and 7).

1. I hear Northern VA schoools are some of the best in Virginia. Is this true?

2. How is the cost of living in either area?

3. Does the commute really suck being near DC?

4. What would be the best areas to live in factoring in crime rates and stuff like that?

I live in a small town in the Southern Tier of NY called Hornell and not much happens here. Maybe there is a place near either city I could check out.

I know that alot of the posters here are from these areas and would be greatful for any info that could be provided. If I choose to relocate to this area the BBQ will be at my new place and I can be held to it. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Steve

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was offered a job in either Alexandria of Fairfax VA today (my choice where basically) and need to know a few things before making my decision. I also will be bringing along a wife and 2 kids (9 and 7).

4. What would be the best areas to live in factoring in crime rates and stuff like that?

I live in a small town in the Southern Tier of NY called Hornell and not much happens here. Maybe there is a place near either city I could check out.

I know that alot of the posters here are from these areas and would be greatful for any info that could be provided. If I choose to relocate to this area the BBQ will be at my new place and I can be held to it. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Steve

418511[/snapback]

Schools - It depends. For the most part yeah Fairfax has good schools and some great ones Thomas jefferson, but you have to basically apply to go there. There are also some crappy schools in Fairfax. In Alexandria, everyone I know who lives in city limits sends there kinds to private schools, because they can, and they don't like the schools.

Cost of living, especially housing is expensive. Sales tax, income taxes are cheaper. Property taxes depends on which city/county.

There are areas of Fairfax I won't even go through, makes NE DC look nice.

Yes the commute really sucks. Theer are days where you are lucky to go 5 miles in an hour. Again depends on where you are going and from where.

As far as living, if you like the country area, think south or West. Stafford, Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, Mannassas, etc.... There is plenty of subways, virginia rail, and other commuter options, but it depends again, where you are going, when and where you are coming from.

If you want, send me a pm with specifics. Company, housing costs expectations, etc...

If you want, send me a pm with specifics. Company, housing costs expectations, etc...

Ditto here. I live in Olde Towne Alexandria. As Bill mentioned, it's VERY expensive here and the commute can be hell. I moved as close to work as I could get, it helps offset the higher expense of being on the Potomac.

Ditto here. I live in Olde Towne Alexandria. As Bill mentioned, it's VERY expensive here and the commute can be hell. I moved as close to work as I could get, it helps offset the higher expense of being on the Potomac.

418535[/snapback]

between the cost of living and the sucky commute, i've turned down a couple northern va jobs

but knowing now that BiB is up there, boy am i glad i didn't take those jobs :lol:

oh, and btw...

Picard pw3ns Kirk :lol:

Housing is very high. I just ran active listings for Fairfax county. The parameters are active listings since 7/1, ranch or rambler style houses( typically the smallest), with or without basements. Low price is 260k and high is 1.5m( 3,200 sq ft.). Average price is around 500k( around 800-1200 sq ft.).

Steve

418511[/snapback]

1) Yes.

2) Probably about the same. Alexandria may be a little higher, but coming from Hornell, you'd find either one exorbitant.

3) Yes. But if you're living in Northern VA commuting to Northern VA, you don't have to cross the Potomac, which makes it a little easier. Not much, but a little.

4) Probably a toss-up. Alexandria and Fairfax both have their good and bad areas.

If you're happy with Hornell you'd probably prefer Fairfax just for it being more suburban than Alexandria.

between the cost of living and the sucky commute, i've turned down a couple northern va jobs

but knowing now that BiB is up there, boy am i glad i didn't take those jobs :lol:

oh, and btw...

Picard pw3ns Kirk  :lol:

418557[/snapback]

Not just me, you have Crap Tosser right down the road about 5 miles.

Well here is my situation--I am an active duty Navy recruiter looking to take over either the Fairfax or Alexandria Navy Recruiting Stations. The Navy is going to give me an extra 1758.00 per month on top of my regular pay to offset the rent or mortgage (prolly rent). Will this be enough to cover a decent house (not apartment) in that area? Keep in mind that I am looking far a low crime,low commute, good school system area to live in.

Tryin to get a good feel for the area before I obligate myself to 3 years there.

Thanks again-----Steve

Well here is my situation--I am an active duty Navy recruiter looking to take over either the Fairfax or Alexandria Navy Recruiting Stations. The Navy is going to give me an extra 1758.00 per month on top of my regular pay to offset the rent or mortgage (prolly rent). Will this be enough to cover a decent house (not apartment) in that area? Keep in mind that I am looking far a low crime,low commute, good school system area to live in.

Tryin to get a good feel for the area before I obligate myself to 3 years there.

Thanks again-----Steve

418577[/snapback]

is the 1758 COLA on top of your BAQ?

Thanks again-----Steve

418577[/snapback]

Wow, the military gives that much for cost of living diff now. Damn when I was in it was about 125.

How many children? Ages?

Where is the recruiting stations? Fairfax is pretty large and spread out. Alexandria, could refer to the general area that include eastern Fairfax or it could be city only. Alexandria, is very densly populated and very tough to get around. Fairfaax is more spread out and include both inside, outside the beltway, and includes routes 1, 95 and 66. Getting over/through these major highways is basically a nightmare.

If you find a specific area I can run active sales or rental listings to give you an idea.

Thanks again-----Steve

418577[/snapback]

Thanks again-----Steve

418577[/snapback]

$1758 just about covers the rent on my townhouse. Which is severly underpriced, by the way; it should be going for about $2200. To buy...my townhouse would go for around the mid-$400s. For a house in this area, you're probably looking at around $600k minimum for a decent one...and probably more.

Alexandria or Alexandria in Fairfax County are different areas - one is small city inside beltway and one is outside south of City of Alexandria; City of Alexandria also has restaurant tax which affects you if you eat out a lot.

Fairfax City is a county surrounded by Fairfax County. Fairfax is also a postal code area IN Fairfax County.

I'd go with Fairfax since it is further outside the beltway unless you are planning on taking public transportation.

Schools are definitely better in Fairfax County; not sure about Fairfax City.

Cost of living probably a little bit higher in City of Alexandria

Commute sucks ESPECIALLY if you need to cross beltway; I used to travel from Alexandria to City of Alexandria and crossing the beltway would cost me a lot of time and there basically are no roads which cross the beltway and do not intersect it.

I'd be glad to answer any questions by PM. I have lived in Alexandria, VA 22310 (Fairfax County not city) since 1994 or 1995.

$1758 just about covers the rent on my townhouse.  Which is severly underpriced, by the way; it should be going for about $2200.  To buy...my townhouse would go for around the mid-$400s.  For a house in this area, you're probably looking at around $600k minimum for a decent one...and probably more.

418586[/snapback]

Actually with current interest rates you could probably pay around 2000 for PITI on a 450,000 house.

For the Alexandria station, it might be possible to rent a nice place in the Hybla Valley area. There is what I have heard is a decent elementary and middle school on Telegraph Road not far from the new Van Dorn extension. (You could be within 5 miles or so of the school) I'm not certain, but I think the Navy recruiter is on Route 7, so it would be a quick commute. I work for a Defense Agency that has a lot of active duty military, many places will be available for rent when the next major PCS turnover happens. Peruse the fort Belvoir website for non-agency rentals. Hybla Valley is a lot more rural/sub urb than being up in the high rise areas. I'll check with some folks at work tomorrow. When do they want you to move?