Willis quotes on T.O.

Ahhh, what the heck:

We're Doooommmmed

The T.O. and Antionio Gates issues made me think that the owners were starting to have some guts and not cave in. Gates got a one year deal and Philly seems to being holding tough.

417771[/snapback]

Yeah, but an Diego just extend him with a new contract for 5 or 6 years, right after he signed the 1 year deal.

Chargers | Contract Breakdown: Antonio Gates

Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:05:45 -0700

Updating previous reports, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the six-year deal TE Antonio Gates received is worth $22.5 million, including a signing bonus of $6 million and a $3.16 million roster bonus in 2006. He has base salaries of $380,000 (2005), $460,000 (2006), $2.625 million (2007), $3 million (2008), $3.25 million (2009) and $3.625 million (2010).

Yeah, but an Diego just extend him with a new contract for 5 or 6 years, right after he signed the 1 year deal.

417850[/snapback]

SD had been trying to sign Gates to a long term deal since last year, and readily admitted that he had outplayed his UFA contract.

They could never come to terms with Gates, though on the long term deal. So they wanted him to sign the one-year tender, while they negotiated a long term contract.

Once they got him into camp, the re-signing played out exactly how the Chargers wanted it to play out.

Or....TD can actually sign him to a long term deal.  Willis will be worth the money, especially because we aren't paying a QB big bucks.

417757[/snapback]

Won't stop him from holding out. In fact, I'd think a long-term deal would make it MORE likely McGahee would hold out down the line, simply because the top dollar paid at the position league-wide is likely to escalate year-to-year faster than his contract will.

Do you realize that every holdout of Drew Rosenhaus's is still with their teams right?  Willis isn't going anywhere.

417792[/snapback]

wrong.......i can think of two off the top of my head (mike mckenzie and ogunleye)

TO is an idiot, asking for a slight raise, after just receiveing a large bonus, with 6 years left on a deal...I wish just once someone would just let him rot

417772[/snapback]

The thing is TO is not asking for a slight raise. When TO & Rosenhaus met with the Iggle's management, they demanded Peyton Manning money. TO thinks he is a superstar and is just as important to a team as Manning is to the colts. Rosenhaus wants to change the market for WR's generating more $$$ for him.

While many players very likely don't approve of how Owens is conducting business, they don't necessarily disagree with his basic demands.

"You can't fault the man for wanting a new contract," said running back Willis McGahee, adding he doubts Eagles players are bitter toward Owens. "If I was one of them, I wouldn't be."

How it eventually plays out will be very important. A precedent could be set. Hey, he got a new contract. I want one.

"I'm pretty sure some guys think like that," McGahee said. "If I was a receiver, I'd want a new deal, too."

I don't mean to start the "We're Doomed" chorus, but I think we can all expect a contract holdout from Willis McGahee at some point in the next year or two.  No problems this season, but if he has a good year, you can bank on it.

I find it curious how WM doesn't rag on T.O.  Could it be they have the same agent?  SATAN?

PTR

417748[/snapback]

Well he's right, you can't fault him for wanting a new contract. Its exactly like anybody anywhere asking for a raise in their job after they busted their ass and exceeded expectatations. The only problem with T.O. is the way he is handling it by bad mouthing his teammates.

If Willis does have a 1500 yard 20 Td year, he damn well better get a new contract. he better get a new contract that makes him the highest paid Bill in history!!

it amazes me how a player can sign a contract then say that they want to renegotiate becuase they exceeded expectations (T.O.). If a player has 5 touchdowns and the year before he had 10 did he not live up to expectations and give money back to the team? Ofcourse not. A contract is drawn up on the basis that the player will give 100% and catch as many passes or run for as many yards as possible.

What good is a contract if players are constantly asking to re-negotiate. Maybe all future contacts should have tiers. But that could cause problems too. A player is one td away from the next level in his contract to make another 100 g and he doesnt get the ball thrown to him for example.

I dont have any ideas and think this will continue in the nfl and it will hit home next summer when Willis is holding out and Drew Rosenidiot is saying that Willis exceeded expectations and deserves more money.