ESPN POLL

Takeo_14

Which team will have the best defense in the NFL this season?

Poll on espn.com

Pittsburgh 26%

Baltimore 39%

Philadelphia 12%

Carolina 16%

NY Jets 7%

What a bunch of BS. No Buffalo?????? They had the #2 overall defense last year. ESPN again reiterates their lack of knowledge of the obvious facts. Over look the teams or people not making every day headlines. I.E. Philadelphia, their defense royally sucks, I could score on that defense. They are on their because of JACK@#$ TO. Also where is New England? They were #1 last year.

Just a little upset by lack of respect for the best defense in football.

Poll on espn.com

Pittsburgh 26%

Baltimore 39%

Philadelphia 12%

Carolina 16%

NY Jets 7%

What a bunch of BS. No Buffalo?????? They had the #2 overall defense last year. ESPN again reiterates their lack of knowledge of the obvious facts. Over look the teams or people not making every day headlines. I.E. Philadelphia, their defense royally sucks, I could score on that defense. They are on their because of JACK@#$ TO. Also where is New England? They were #1 last year.

416697[/snapback]

I'd bet anyone the Bills Defense will finish at least 5 places ahead on the Eagles D in the rankings

I hope all the disrespect gets the Buffalo D even more fired up.

Having the Jets and Philly on that poll, and no Bills, is a travesty. Of course, we're talking ESPN here. As long as you're in a big market or you've got some loudmouth to draw attention, you'll get recognized.

Poll on espn.com

Pittsburgh 26%

Baltimore 39%

Philadelphia 12%

Carolina 16%

NY Jets 7%

416697[/snapback]

The Buffalo D, although very good, finished # 8 in points allowed, and

broke down on several occasions. Good/great defenses don't allow last minute

losses.

What a bunch of BS. No Buffalo?????? They had the #2 overall defense last year.

That was in yardage. Many people consider point totals to be more indicative of a defense's quality.

For what it's worth, the Bills were indeed solid in scoring defense as well, placing 8th behind Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New England, New York Jets, Washington, Baltimore, and Jacksonville.

That was in yardage.  Many people consider point totals to be more indicative of a defense's quality.

For what it's worth, the Bills were indeed solid in scoring defense as well, placing 8th behind Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New England, New York Jets, Washington, Baltimore, and Jacksonville.

416763[/snapback]

I see, so when Bledsoe throws a pick or fumbles and it gets returned for a TD, that's the Defenses fault right? Certainly more indicative than yardage :rolleyes:

That was in yardage.  Many people consider point totals to be more indicative of a defense's quality.

416763[/snapback]

True, but any NFC stats from last year should be asterisked. Two or three AFC teams could have played a better Super Bowl against the Pats than Philly. Not to say they would have won -- they obviously didn't when they had the chance. But the AFC's level of competition was a lot higher than the NFC's.

I see, so when Bledsoe throws a pick or fumbles and it gets returned for a TD, that's the Defenses fault right? Certainly more indicative than yardage  :rolleyes:

416780[/snapback]

A good point. Regardless of silly ESPN polls, I think that any fan should speak proudly of a defense that was top 10 in both statistical categories. I stopped looking to ESPN for approval of my team a long time ago, because their content is seldom based on accomplishment.

A good point.  Regardless of silly ESPN polls, I think that any fan should speak proudly of a defense that was top 10 in both statistical categories.  I stopped looking to ESPN for approval of my team a long time ago, because their content is seldom based on accomplishment.

416795[/snapback]

Good point as well... I feel the same way.

I see, so when Bledsoe throws a pick or fumbles and it gets returned for a TD, that's the Defenses fault right? Certainly more indicative than yardage  :lol:

416780[/snapback]

So, no other teams had turnovers returned for scores last year? Curious. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm not certain, but I don't believe SP points or points directly off

turnovers are counted in the defensive stats.

Before I get flamed by someone, I said "I'm not certain".

So, take away points caused by Bledsoe, and the defense is, what, # 5?

The Buffalo D, although very good, finished # 8 in points allowed, and

broke down on several occasions.  Good/great defenses don't allow last minute

losses.

416746[/snapback]

8th in points allowed is no slouch. The Bills were 1st in turnovers, 2nd in yards allowed and tied for 3rd in sacks. All numbers that should list them in anyones top 5.

That being said, this was a poll, and big city folk are homers just like us small city folk. So I'm not surprised that the Jets and Eagles made that list.

So, no other teams had turnovers returned for scores last year?  Curious.  :rolleyes:

Also, I'm not certain, but I don't believe SP points or points directly off

turnovers are counted in the defensive stats.

Before I get flamed by someone, I said "I'm not certain".

So, take away points caused by Bledsoe, and the defense is, what, # 5?

416809[/snapback]

Special teams are not counted in the relevant D stats.

Also, lets ignore yardage AND points last season and take a little gander at Forced turnovers and Sacks shall we? Where do you think the Bills might stand in that area?

Conclusion: ESPN = Every Single Poll (is) Nonsense

True, but any NFC stats from last year should be asterisked.  Two or three AFC teams could have played a better Super Bowl against the Pats than Philly.  Not to say they would have won -- they obviously didn't when they had the chance.  But the AFC's level of competition was a lot higher than the NFC's.

416784[/snapback]

Five of the teams ahead of Buffalo in points allowed are IN the AFC.

:rolleyes: