Let's get this forum rollin' !

runner

OK, college football fans...Let's get some discussion going on the upcoming season.

I'm fired up about my Iowa Hawkeyes, although we have some questions about our defensive line. I'm sure Kirk Ferentz and Norm Parker will do thier magic and find the right combination to do the trick. I don't think they like to be rated so high, though. It's been nice to come up and surprise people...

We have Michigan at home this year, but OSU, Purdue, and Wisconsin on the road. That game at Iowa State won't be a pushover, either.

I'm excited about Drew Tate, our junior QB, who reminds a lot of people of Doug Flutie....His big play on the last play of the bowl game vs. LSU did a lot to add to that comparison. Watch him closely this year.

Does anyone think that Florida is rated much too high considering they have a new coach? I'm thinking that Urban Meyer is not as great as people want to believe.

OK, college football fans...Let's get some discussion going on the upcoming season.

I'm fired up about my Iowa Hawkeyes, although we have some questions about our defensive line.  I'm sure Kirk Ferentz and Norm Parker will do thier magic and find the right combination to do the trick.  I don't think they like to be rated so high, though.  It's been nice to come up and surprise people...

We have Michigan at home this year, but OSU, Purdue, and Wisconsin on the road.  That game at Iowa State won't be a pushover, either. 

I'm excited about Drew Tate, our junior QB, who reminds a lot of people of Doug Flutie....His big play on the last play of the bowl game vs. LSU did a lot to add to that comparison.  Watch him closely this year.

Does anyone think that Florida is rated much too high considering they have a new coach?  I'm thinking that Urban Meyer is not as great as people want to  believe.

416617[/snapback]

Iowa is rated high because they have a lot of returning talent, particularly on derfense. They have the best 1-2 LB combo perhaps in the nation and their secondary is also very talented and experienced (shout out to CB Jovon Johnson, who is from my home town of Erie Pa, as was Bob Sanders before him). Ferentz is probably the best coach in college football, so Iowa will be a firece competitor this year for sure.

Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, and Purdue all could be contenders for the Big 10 championship. The Big Ten is going to have a huge year this year and I am 100 percent positive that the Big Ten will be represented in the Rose Bowl this year.

420034[/snapback]

Im not so sure about that....and the reason being is really because of what you said, the conference is loaded...therefore this increases the chances of these Big 10 powers knocking each other off, and a bigger team in a big conference (Texas for example) might have an easier road and have the better record but they might not necessarily be the better team.

Wow, you're really going out on a limb there! :D

And, all the cool kids call it the Big11Ten.

420223[/snapback]

I'm not one of the cool kids, so I just call it the Big 11. I don't see the logic in calling an 11 team league the Big 10. If that's the case, who's the 'little team'?

I see your point, but the problem with Texas is that their road goes through Columbus in two weeks.

420556[/snapback]

Ohio State should be in the mix this year, as far as the national title is concerned. I do think Texas has a good chance as well, but I think they could lose the game to Ohio State and, until I see otherwise, I can't see them winning the RRS. They have to 'show and prove' in that game, something they haven't done in a long time.

I am so ready for college football. I am very excited about Michigan's chances this year, even though Braylon Edwards & Marlin Jackson are gone, there are plenty of returning players. What's more QB Chad Henne & RB Mike Hart are only sophomores. :lol:

Still this should be an exciting season. I am really looking forward to week 2 of the season. 2 gigantic match-ups that evening, Ohio State Vs. Texas, & Louisiana State Vs. Arizona State. It will be a lot of fun.

And other things to think about this season: Can anyone beat USC? Can Texas beat Oklahoma? Is Tennessee strong enough to survive their brutal schedule?

How big an impact will the newly formed ACC have on the BCS? Will Louisville get any respect if they go undefeated?

Ahhhhhh, football. I love it!!!

My Saturday passion & my Sunday obsession. :lol:

And other things to think about this season: Can anyone beat USC? Can Texas beat Oklahoma? Is Tennessee strong enough to survive their brutal schedule?

How big an impact will the newly formed ACC have on the BCS? Will Louisville get any respect if they go undefeated?

422369[/snapback]

To take these one @ a time:

1. (Can anyone beat USC?) Yes. They are the odds on favorite, but they're not invincible. If they come out and smoke Oregon, then people will have to watch out.

2. (Can Texas beat Oklahoma?) This is like the 'Can anyone stop the Patriots from winning it all?' argument. Until I see it, I won't believe it. To borrow a line from the College Game Day program, Texas goes into this game hoping this is "the year" while Oklahoma goes into this game knowing they can beat Texas. That's the difference. Not saying it can't be done since Texas has a lot of talent, but they have to show and prove.

3. (Is Tennessee strong enough to survive their brutal schedule?)

The Vols should do fine this year. Fullmer is a first class coach who has kept Tennessee as one of the SEC's top programs. I don't see any reason to believe there will be a dropoff this year.

4. (How big an impact will the newly formed ACC have on the BCS?) The BCS has bigger problems than just the ACC. They have to hope and pray they don't get a repeat of last year, as there are a number of teams w/ the ability to run the table and win out this year. Then again, it could push them further into that 'you need a playoff' corner............

Sorry. I drifted off there, but I was having a nice dream of a true NCAA 1A champion.

5. (Will Louisville get any respect if they go undefeated?)

Lee Corso seems to feel that they could be this year's Utah if they win out, which is possible in this year's Big (L)East. I will say this: the Pittsburgh game in November should be a good one. Lucky for the Cards, they're @ home for that one.

For the first time ever, Trev Alberts picked OSU to win a really big game, by 17 no less. I don't like it, it's a jinx.

421679[/snapback]

A jinx sounds good to me. ;)

For you, yes.

For OSU, no.

:doh:

Mike

422188[/snapback]

Its a problem for us? Well, maybe the fact that we have to go to Columbus to watch the game is a problem - I mean, who the hell wants to go there? Its way too expensive to go there just to watch UT kick the crap out of OSU. B-)

Is Tennessee strong enough to survive their brutal schedule?

422369[/snapback]

I cry a river for Tennessee and their brutal schedule. Really I do. :D

When Tennessee (or any other team in the nation for that matter) decides to schedule the #1, #3, #4, #15 and #23 teams in country in one season, then I will give them their due....

But conference schedules are sooooooooo hard. <_<

(disclaimer...not directed at you, just a general rant ;) )

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.