Home remodeling help.

PIZ

Basement's raised bathroom pipes leaking under the raised concrete.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed a leak under my raised bathroom in the basement. I believe I'm going to have to take a sledge hammer to the concrete raised floor. Is there any way that I could run a new drain without tearing up the cement floor? Too bad they don't make a horizontal or upflush drain for a basement shower, or do they?

What would it cost to have my raised bathroom plumbing re-done? I'm talking replacing the main drain, the basement toilet drain, the piping betwen the shower drain and the main drain. All of these pipes would be under the cement. Any idea on how thick this cement would be? Maybe I could eliminate some of the costs if I take the concrete out myself.

I found a good subflor to use for remodeling my basement, but I can't start it until I get this leak fixed. If I have to hire someone, I'd like to have a guess at the cost before I get an estimate from a plumber. I have no idea what this should cost.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed a leak under my raised bathroom in the basement. I believe I'm going to have to take a sledge hammer to the concrete raised floor. Is there any way that I could run a new drain without tearing up the cement floor? Too bad they don't make a horizontal or upflush drain for a basement shower, or do they?

What would it cost to have my raised bathroom plumbing re-done? I'm talking replacing the main drain, the basement toilet drain, the piping betwen the shower drain and the main drain. All of these pipes would be under the cement. Any idea on how thick this cement would be? Maybe I could eliminate some of the costs if I take the concrete out myself.

I found a good subflor to use for remodeling my basement, but I can't start it until I get this leak fixed.  If I have to hire someone, I'd like to have a guess at the cost before I get an estimate from a plumber.  I have no idea what this should cost.

416487[/snapback]

Raise the floor more. :devil:

Other than that, I cannot see a way of doing it without adding pumps.

Raise the floor more.  :devil:

Other than that, I cannot see a way of doing it without adding pumps.

416510[/snapback]

Actually, I may do that, but how small of a pipe can I use for my shower that would be effective? I may be able to remove the concrete from the shower only, since it is raised a little higher than the rest of the bathroom. I could remove that and then just redo the shower drain and make it go above the raised bathroom floor rather than under it. How do I remove the concrete? Sledge hammer? I think I'm going to hurt myself.

Actually, I may do that, but how small of a pipe can I use for my shower that would be effective?

Not sure. You will need to calculate how much water needs to be evacuated and how fast you need it evacuated. The person at Home Depot/Lowes might be able to help you out with this.

How do I remove the concrete?  Sledge hammer?  I think I'm going to hurt myself.

416527[/snapback]

Air Hammer.

I believe the only way to elimanate the raised floor and still have a bathroom that drains to existing main drain, would be installing a sewer pump injecter.The injecter sits in a barrel,holds approximately 30 gallons then triggers a float switch that pumps waste and effluent vertically through a pvc pipe installed on top of barrel.Elimanates need to keep raised bathroom floor.Either you keep raised floor and repair leaking pipe connection or you install pump system. As for cost by a plumber for pump system, labor and materials I would say 1500.00 minimum. Although if you feel capable you could do this in two weekends.Hope this help's ,just had a vision from the movie history of the world part 1. weve got new invention ''plumbing'' well pipe the @#$%^&&& right out of your house.

I found a good subflor to use for remodeling my basement, but I can't start it until I get this leak fixed.  If I have to hire someone, I'd like to have a guess at the cost before I get an estimate from a plumber.  I have no idea what this should cost.

416487[/snapback]

Where is the leak? commode? shower?

Have you removed the commode? - it might be as simple as replacing a 3 buck wax ring.

Plumbing contrators can install an expandable, hardenable sleeve into existing sewage plumbing (4 -inch plus lines I believe) to halt leaks.

Do you have a sub-slab hydraulic issue? Often, a 1/4 inch drilling through the slab near the floor drain can relieve this. I put a drilling under my basement staircase a few years ago and cooked up a pvc tubing arrangement that runs to drain. In heavy rains, I'd guess it flows a quarter-gallon per minute and significantly reduced seepage in my 50+ year-old basement

Actually, I may do that, but how small of a pipe can I use for my shower that would be effective?  I may be able to remove the concrete from the shower only, since it is raised a little higher than the rest of the bathroom.  I could remove that and then just redo the shower drain and make it go above the raised bathroom floor rather than under it.  How do I remove the concrete?  Sledge hammer?  I think I'm going to hurt myself.

416527[/snapback]

Personnel at home depot or loew's should be able to answer your question's. Shower rain pipe i believe is a standard 2 and 1\2 inch. The Toilet is 4 inch.As for the concrete, you said the floor is raised,hence it's lightweight cement ''acoustical cement, easy to break up with manual hammer's also being that it's a raised floor and not attached to main slab,should be easy to break up with sledge hammers and a household hammer and acold chisel.''hint'' when tackling concrete demolitian wear eye protection and think aggressive.

Personnel at home depot or loew's should be able to answer your question's. Shower rain pipe i believe is a standard 2 and 1\2 inch. The Toilet is 4 inch.As for the concrete, you said the floor is raised,hence it's lightweight cement ''acoustical cement, easy to break up with manual hammer's also being that it's a raised floor and not attached to main slab,should be easy to break up with sledge hammers and a household hammer and acold chisel.''hint'' when tackling concrete demolitian wear eye protection and think aggressive.

416611[/snapback]

Thanks for the tips. I may actually be able to do this. Doubtful I'll be done with my "BILLS ROOM" by opening day though.