6. Michigan, Texas and Kentucky (tie)

9. Indiana

10. South Carolina

11. Arkansas

12. Georgia

13. Ohio

14. Oklahoma

15. Pennsylvania

16. North Carolina, Missouri, North Dakota (tie)

19. Alaska

20. Iowa and Nebraska (tie)

22. Kansas, Illinois, Virginia (tie)

25. Minnesota

26. South Dakota

27. Delaware

28. Wisconsin

29. Washington and Maryland (tie)

31. California

32. Maine and Nevada (tie)

34. New York

35. Washington, D.C.

36. Oregon

37. Idaho

38. Florida

39. New Mexico

40. New Jersey and Arizona

42. Wyoming

43. New Hampshire

44. Utah

45. Montana and Vermont

47. Connecticut

48. Rhode Island

49. Massachusetts

50. Colorado

(Hawaii not available)

I'm a little disappointed in my beloved California (31st fattest). I thought for sure we could have been a top-10 contender, but I guess we need a few more Mickey Ds and KFCs before we get serious.

I'm a little disappointed in my beloved California (31st fattest).  I thought for sure we could have been a top-10 contender, but I guess we need a few more Mickey Ds and KFCs before we get serious.

415498[/snapback]

Is this based on a percentage or and overall number?

I am shocked that NC is not in the top 10....they eat a lot of hush puppies (not shoes--think fried dough for all you yankees) and ground pig down east. Its the hearty folks in the Mountains that keep us out of the top 10--I think we should assign them to Tennessee--move them down and us up...

Is this based on a percentage or and overall number?

415502[/snapback]

It was some blip on the Netscape homepage. I cruise that site daily to stay current in the world of weirdom.

F as in Fat: 10 States With Fattest People

We are a nation of fat people. Proof positive: Over 25 percent of adults in 10 states are obese, including in Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Texas, Michigan, Kentucky, Indiana, and South Carolina. Notice something they have in common? Seven of those 10 states are in the Southeastern United States.

This new report by Trust for America's Health (TFAH) ranks all 50 states from fattest to leanest. Mississippi is the fattest, while Colorado is the leanest. Nationwide, 119 million, or 64.5 percent, of adult Americans are either overweight or obese. Estimates of the number of obese American adults rose from 23.7 percent in 2003 to 24.5 percent in 2004. In addition, 16 percent of active duty U.S. military personnel are obese, and it is currently the biggest reason for the discharge of soldiers.

I'm a little disappointed in my beloved California (31st fattest).  I thought for sure we could have been a top-10 contender, but I guess we need a few more Mickey Ds and KFCs before we get serious.

415498[/snapback]

Jack In The Box, Carls Jr., In and Out and all those 24 hour Mexican food huts (Albertos, et al...) Sitting on the freeway doesn't do much for burning calories either!!!

I must be tired today - read it 4 times and still can't see Texas.

And even stranger....I just read a report a month or so ago that said Houston, TX is the "fattest" city in the country...

:devil:

415573[/snapback]

Tie for 6.....when chicken fried steak is the state dish--not a surprise...present company excluded of course..

I am shocked that NC is not in the top 10....they eat a lot of hush puppies (not shoes--think fried dough for all you yankees) and ground pig down east.  Its the hearty folks in the Mountains that keep us out of the top 10--I think we should assign them to Tennessee--move them down and us up...

415512[/snapback]

Actually, hush puppies are pretty damn good for a southern food, but like you I'm surprised NC is not higher on the list. Just swing by a fish fry and try to order something baked. :devil: I think they even fry the slaw.

Actually, hush puppies are pretty damn good for a southern food, but like you I'm surprised NC is not higher on the list. Just swing by a fish fry and try to order something baked. :devil: I think they even fry the slaw.

415578[/snapback]

Baked????--explain this concept to me please........fried, deep fried, deep deep fried and pork rinds is all I understand as now an adopted son of the Old North State...

Baked????--explain this concept to me please........fried, deep fried, deep deep fried and pork rinds is all I understand as now an adopted son of the Old North State...

415583[/snapback]

All you need an an RC, a pack-a-nabs and paradigm shift about oral sex and you'll be set for life down there.

415498[/snapback]

California's number is skewed by the inordinate number of tortilla lovers and mexican restaurants. Tortillas are very fattening!