Can we take Gandy off our poop list?

Bills: Five things to know

Clark Judge By Clark Judge

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Tell Clark your opinion!

Camp tour: Bills

PITTSFORD, N.Y. -- Observations from Bills camp:

NFL Teams 1. The club is not concerned about left tackle Mike Gandy, released by Chicago last year. Gandy, signed to replace former starter Jonas Jennings, was recruited to compete for the starting job, and he has won it. Forget about the club moving center Trey Teague to left tackle and inserting rookie Duke Preston in his place. That's a last resort. The Bills are happy with Gandy. "He has not done anything to make us nervous," said team president and GM Tom Donahoe.

Clark Judge  By Clark Judge

Tell Clark your opinion!

NFL Teams 1. The club is not concerned about left tackle Mike Gandy, released by Chicago last year. Gandy, signed to replace former starter Jonas Jennings, was recruited to compete for the starting job, and he has won it. Forget about the club moving center Trey Teague to left tackle and inserting rookie Duke Preston in his place. That's a last resort. The Bills are happy with Gandy. "He has not done anything to make us nervous," said team president and GM Tom Donahoe.

413913[/snapback]

Didn't you get the memo? Coy Wire and Josh Reed are the current whipping boys. Gandy has been excused.

i will be more impressed when i see what he does against blitzing defenses in the regular season. it seems that the Bills are the only team defense that feel it is ok to show every defensive alignment in the preseason.

Yep.  $540K this year (and $1.25M next year, which he might not see).  A bargain!

413932[/snapback]

>>> "He has not done anything to make us nervous," said team president and GM Tom Donahoe. <<<

I for one would like more from a starting LT, one of the most critical positions in the NFL. If you think about the above quote, it is far from a ringing endorsement.

I hope that in 06, the Bills will put the finishing touches on our OL, but I have been hoping this for a decade, and I am not holding my breath.

>>> "He has not done anything to make us nervous," said team president and GM Tom Donahoe. <<<

I for one would like more from a starting LT, one of the most critical positions in the NFL. If you think about the above quote, it is far from a ringing endorsement.

I hope that in 06, the Bills will put the finishing touches on our OL, but I have been hoping this for a decade, and I am not holding my breath.

413966[/snapback]

Bill, this from the Buffalo News today (Allen Wilson story with Gandy in the headline) made me feel a little bit better.

Gandy has every reason to keep playing well. He's getting a surprising push from second-year pro Jason Peters, a former tight end with great athletic ability and potential. Peters had an outstanding night against KGB and Green Bay's other defensive ends.

BTW, lets have just a little faith in our lineman from Notre Dame....even though he played for Bob Davie--he might still be okay.

Bill, this from the Buffalo News today (Allen Wilson story with Gandy in the headline) made me feel a little bit better today.

Gandy has every reason to keep playing well. He's getting a surprising push from second-year pro Jason Peters, a former tight end with great athletic ability and potential. Peters had an outstanding night against KGB and Green Bay's other defensive ends.

413969[/snapback]

Thanks! Yes, this is wonderful news. If Peters will be able to develop into a dominant LT. this would be nothing less than sensational.

For a long time, I have held the opinion that a huge majority of football fans place FAR too much emphasis on the QB position. QBs do matter a great deal, but year after year, LTs are picked in the first round; often quite early, and a majority of them seem to play well.

A dominant LT is worth his weight in gold. Who mattered more when the Ravens won the SB, Dilfer or Ogden? Orlando Pace gave an Arena League QB unlimited time, opened up holes for Faulk, and was as instrumental on the streak of Rams victories as was any other player imo.

I still scratch my head when I think that Pat Williams was an undrafted free agent. It is hard enough to pick up a DT this way, but a LT?!?!

Again, if Peters, another udfa DOES develop into a dominant LT, the possibilities are limitless. The Bills would be free at draft time to go after other positions and shoot for a team which would be great over the long term, especially with the extra 3rd.

As much as JP means to the Bills, there could be no bigger plus than Peters developing into a dominant LT. I would be more than thrilled if he could even equal Jennings at some point.

We can only hope!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i will be more impressed when i see what he does against blitzing defenses in the regular season.  it seems that the Bills are the only team defense that feel it is ok to show every defensive alignment in the preseason.

413963[/snapback]

He's been facing a blitzing defense every day in training camp. Yes, it is only practice, but 90% of a lineman successfully handling a blitz is knowing which guy to lay the mitts on.

Coming out of the half on the live coverage last week they focused on the left side of the line. Showed them handling blitzes and stunts (which have been killing us the last couple of years) pretty well.

Yes, we'll see...but I've seen a lot worse pre-season performance out of the O-Line (which turned into near disastrous results once the season started).

Clark Judge  By Clark Judge

Tell Clark your opinion!

413913[/snapback]

Living in Chicago, I witnessed that he wasn't very good. In fact they were quick to replace him. But he has shown tremendous improvement and according to KGB- he has improved significantly. Hoepfully he'll be another player to prove the critics and doubters wrong. He's on the right track.

Well, no one claimed he was Pace. It's more that he's not the turnstile people feared he would be, and is actually a pretty decent LT. For the price versus performance, getting him and letting Jonas walk was a monumental success! However I know he's a short-timer at LT until Peters takes over next year, and is a Pro Bowl fixture for years (hopefully most with the Bills).

Oh and I heard that LJ Shelton was pulled mid-series the other night in the Cleveland-Detroit game because he sucked so bad. Another good (non-)move on TD's part.

Thanks! Yes, this is wonderful news. If Peters will be able to develop into a dominant LT. this would be nothing less than sensational.

413981[/snapback]

I'm excited by Peters' progress too, and agree getting a "free" starting-caliber LT is a fantastic find. I will say, though, it's premature to start talking about Peters being dominant. Pushing Gandy to feel some pressure, is a long ways from being Jennings, and still a ways further from being dominant (not that Jennings wasn't solid LT).

Living in Chicago, I witnessed that he wasn't very good.  In fact they were quick to replace him.  But he has shown tremendous improvement and according to KGB- he has improved significantly.  Hoepfully he'll be another player to prove the critics and doubters wrong.  He's on the right track.

413991[/snapback]

For both these guys I'm convinced that our scouts found guys with good "raw material, and suspect playing technique. Some time with McNally is developing them quickly.

From what I've seen so far, I'd say Gandy is playing about as well as MW.

Living in Chicago, I witnessed that he wasn't very good.  In fact they were quick to replace him.  But he has shown tremendous improvement and according to KGB- he has improved significantly.  Hoepfully he'll be another player to prove the critics and doubters wrong.  He's on the right track.

413991[/snapback]

I'll second those sentiments exactly. Having the Chicago bias gave me cause for concern, but I have keyed in on him the 1st 2 games and he looks fine. We'll see when the real bullets start flying, but so far he's off to a better than expected start.