• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He JUST missed the 2nd 50-something yarder. He was a kickin' fool tonight!  :P

BTW....wasn't that 54 yards?

413525[/snapback]

They said 54 the first time, and 53 the second. I won't question a purdy lady tho

:angry:

They said 54 the first time, and 53 the second.  I won't question a purdy lady tho

:angry:

413526[/snapback]

Did you ever make it to Lot 1 Pole 5? I was hangin' with Lori and BADOLBILZ. The two other cableladies I came up with even did a bowling ball shot at Pinto Kenny's.

This is a good sign and confirmation that the Bills approach of bringing in some competition early on this off-season and the summarily dismissing them all and going with Lindell was a good management technique.

It actually is not a huge departure however from what Lindell showed on the field in the past:

1. He was excellent at kickoffs last year teaming with a coverage unit which gave up no TDs and few long yardage returns. Goodtackling is essential to this happening and Lindell gets limited/no credit for that, but also kicking the ball where and with the hangtime you are supposed to is also essential for the good outcome as tacklers have little to no time to watch where the ball is going and when it is coming down.

Particularly in the variable winds of the Ralph this task is not easy and Lindell simply deserves great marks for performing abiut as well as one could in this regard last year.

2. He did a very good job in the onside kick game last year as well. I remember him having three shots at this task and he did his job on 2 of three kicks (which have a low rate of success anyway). One onside was not good, one was goof and Rashad Baker had a shot at recovering it but missed which is about all you can require of a kicker. The third example saw Lindell perform extraordinarily as he not only made the kick well (he and the ST dummied the oponent in this second half opening kick so that they were dropping back to form a wedge rather than attacking the onside kick( and he made the recovery himself timing this kick perfectly as it went the requisite ten yards before a Bill even touched an opponent.

3. His placekicking was spotty at best however, with the good news being he was very accurate inside the 40 gnerally as he was much better than 2003 but a less than successful record outside the 40 and him missing a chipshot against Pitts brough the longknives out and folks simply ignored him being good as these other two aspects of the game.

Its great to see him placekicking so well and though it is surprising given how bad he was last year in the limited crucmch time performances he had, it is not without precedent as he has shown many signs of being a very good kicker. Now he simply needs to keep this up.

The truth is that players often do not merit the opinions of fans that blames them for totally sucking just as if they often do not merit the opinions of fans that judge some players to be flawless athletes that can do no wrong.

I certainly had my own doubts about Lindell after being beaten into submission by many angry fan posts and the Bills entertaining looking for another option acquring kickers on our roster and trying them out in Europe.

However, the facts are these:

1. Lindell has had some productive seasons and showed some leg power in his previous duty with the Seahawks. He downright sucked in most phases of the game in 2003 (showing the stupidity of TD comments when he cut Christie and signed Arians that good kickers are a dime-a-dozen) and sucked in longrange placekicking in 2004, but he was actually very good in other key phases of the kicking game in 2004.

2. His kickoffs were nothing less than phenomenal last year as he teamed with the tacklers to not give up any return TDs and even precious few long gains/ Good tackling was essential to this result, but licking the ball where and with the appropriate hangtime for tacklers who run for an assigned spot and cannot run and watch the kick is also essential. Lindell was near flawless even with the variable winds of the Ralph last year.

3. His onside kicking was very good also as 2 of his 3 attempts were recoverable and though Baker missed a key one against Pitts, Lindell himself civred a beautifully executed onside for the third one.

4. Though Lindell's placekicking sucked in 2003 he actually put up good numbers inside the 40 in 2004 until he simply missed a chipshot he should have made against Pitts. This miss along with even MM seeming to lose confidence in him beyonf 40 made it pretty justifiable for the Bills to consider looking elsewhere this off-season.

The bottomline is though where did this Lindell ability come from? it was always there and one could see it in his performance if not distracted too much by anger at him missing the chipshot placekick.

Guys, let's keep this in perspective. You can argue that MM didn't use him in a few long distance situations last year, but here's the 2004 stats and they're not bad:

- He was tied for 8th in the NFL in FG %, at 85.7% (tied with Jason Hanson & Ryan Longwell)

- He was tied for 8th in the NFL in points at 117 (tied with Matt Stover)

The guy's in the top 1/4 of the league in kickers.

**notes to mods***

Please combine all the "Rian Lindell is on steroids" threads, and pin them to the top of this forum.  This will greatly help those in the legal profession who can't properly search a webpage.  Thanks!

413588[/snapback]

Sorry, my secretary usually handles those kinds of menial tasks.

Guys, let's keep this in perspective.  You can argue that MM didn't use him in a few long distance situations last year, but here's the 2004 stats and they're not bad:

- He was tied for 8th in the NFL in FG %, at 85.7% (tied with Jason Hanson & Ryan Longwell)

413618[/snapback]

Norwood had great stats the year he was wide right. Stats aren't everything. Besides, maybe his accuracy numbers were a little high because, unlike other kickers, we never even bothered putting him out there to try anything over 50. A lot of long attempts can drive down your accuracy percentage.

Guys, let's keep this in perspective.  You can argue that MM didn't use him in a few long distance situations last year, but here's the 2004 stats and they're not bad:

413618[/snapback]

Amen. I folks are looking for a weak link on this team. It isn't the kicker.

Since coming to the bills in 2003 Rian Lindell is.....

24-26 from 20-29 yards 13-14 from 30-39 yards 4-10 from 40-49 yards and 0-2 from 50 yards. This shows me since Lindell has been here the coaching staff has had absolutly zero faith in Lindell kicking long range fg's 7 of his 10 attempts from 40-49 came in 2003. It was great to see him hit that 54 yarder yesterday but I'll only be impressed when he makes some kicks that send us to the playoffs.

413618[/snapback]

are you kidding me?!

Stats don't mean sh-- when it comes to kickers... Sure, he was 85%. That's because the coaching staff wouldn't put him on the field to attempt anything over 42 yards. Look at his percentages over 40 yards.

That being said, two kicks last night that made it 54 yards (one good, one no good), is impressive. Either Lindell is on the juice, or he worked his ass off. Either way, I don't care.

And whoever said "it doesn't matter, it's only preseason" is a moron. It's the kicker. What changes for him during the regular season (as far as how FAR he can kick it)?

And whoever said "it doesn't matter, it's only preseason" is a moron. It's the kicker. What changes for him during the regular season (as far as how FAR he can kick it)?

413756[/snapback]

What changes is the weather at teh Ralph and most other places. The ball gets colder, the winds get stronger and its more liekly you get rain or snow. Preseason weather gives the kicker an advantage - things get much more challenging during the regular season.