Bills - Packers, Part II

Lori

Revenge Factor: yeah, it's only a preseason game. Seems, though, that the Packers are a wee bit annoyed about all the blitzing the Bills did in the scrimmage.

*NEWSFLASH* : this IS the Bills' base defense. They've been blitzing Losman ever since OTAs, they blitzed on over half of the passing plays in certain games last season, and I don't expect those percentages to change any this season. SO if the Packers don't like it, maybe they should learn to block it better?

J.P. Factor: first home start, under the lights, in front of a sellout crowd. Think he'll be geeked for this game? Let's see how that affects his early-game performance... i.e., will he be TOO fired up and come out throwing 10 feet over the WR's head on the first couple of passes? Deep breaths, J.P. Calm down. You'll do just fine ....

Ongoing battles:

Shaud Williams vs. Lionel Gates vs. ReShard Lee for #2 RB. Advantage, Williams.

Jabari Greer vs. Eric King for #3 CB. I'm really starting to have my doubts we'll see Kevin Thomas play any time soon.

Constantin Ritzmann vs. George Gause for #4 DE.... assuming the Bills KEEP four DEs on the active roster.

Justin Bannan vs. Lauvale Sape for #4 DT. Sape's been getting the ink lately - after the punt block, Indy's punter called him "really big and really fast and really scary".

Backup O-linemen: what exactly DO the Bills have, once you get past Tucker and Preston? I'll be watching big #71, Jason Peters, for continued progression.

Seeya in Lot 1 in about 2 hours.......

Revenge Factor: yeah, it's only a preseason game. Seems, though, that the Packers are a wee bit annoyed about all the blitzing the Bills did in the scrimmage.

*NEWSFLASH* : this IS the Bills' base defense. They've been blitzing Losman ever since OTAs, they blitzed on over half of the passing plays in certain games last season, and I don't expect those percentages to change any this season. SO if the Packers don't like it, maybe they should learn to block it better?

J.P. Factor: first home start, under the lights, in front of a sellout crowd. Think he'll be geeked for this game? Let's see how that affects his early-game performance... i.e., will he be TOO fired up and come out throwing 10 feet over the WR's head on the first couple of passes? Deep breaths, J.P. Calm down. You'll do just fine ....

Ongoing battles:

Jabari Greer vs. Eric King for #3 CB. I'm really starting to have my doubts we'll see Kevin Thomas play any time soon.

Constantin Ritzmann vs. George Gause for #4 DE.... assuming the Bills KEEP four DEs on the active roster.

Justin Bannan vs. Lauvale Sape for #4 DT. Sape's been getting the ink lately - after the punt block, Indy's punter called him "really big and really fast and really scary".

Backup O-linemen: what exactly DO the Bills have, once you get past Tucker and Preston? I'll be watching big #71, Jason Peters, for continued progression.

413011[/snapback]

Well, i hope JP's not "geeked" tonight or were in bad shape! ;)0:)

From the quotes I see this is exactly the Packers attitude and why they will likely may an inspired effort against the blitz. Folks whining about a sense they were whining seems misguided from the quotes I saw. From the OL position coach who said the players simply need to play better to Brett favre who said that the Bills kicked their butts with the blitz their OL has been challenged by their team leadership. I hope Favre is right and the real deal here is simply that the Bills are more skilled.

It has been interesting to watch him go through a series of first time experiences as an NFL QB (his first appearance as a pro against NE. his first time coming into a game holding a lead (one of his mop up job last year), his first time starting in a sold out Lambeau Field against GB in a scrimmage, his first time starting against opponents last week). He actually seemes tobe what you describe as geeked up for each of these appearances and a bit over-anxious and that gets reflected in his play (the NE debacle when he was thrown to the wolves, an immediate delay of game in his first mop-up as he failed to command the huddle, some overthrows in the scrimmage though he got off to a good start, a bad start last week).

For the most part he does seem to settle down eventually and we see some of the promise that got him drafted but I will be glad when his more of a vet and does not get geeked up.

Ongoing battles:

Agreed so far, but I still feel uncomfortable with this smaller player being called upon to last if worse comes to worse with WM.

I think Greer has this job and I see King needing at least a year before he seriously competes for the nickel. I have heard nothing really about Thomas good or bad, but the lack of good means he is likely not our #3 at all.

I think our scheme is such that actually we are seeing 2 interchangeable slots at DE backed up by Denney rather than 2 DEs who should be backed up by 4 players. If anything, our scheme allows Posey to line up as an end making this position become are alternative for a 4th DE in case of injury to out starting to before we would depend on Ritzman or Gause. ST chops will probably make the difference who gets kept between these two rather than position play.

Same deal that other uses (Sape ST, Bannan utility in the redzone on O will make the ultimate difference rather than position play as Adams, Edwards, Anderson and Denney plugged in in a 3 DE set are the options for the two DT positions before we get to Sape or Bannan.

Again how the scheme gets put together seems more important than a pure judgment of who is a better player at a particular spot. I think C is the best position for Teague, but if Gandy falls apart the option may well be to put him at LT creating the C issues. A lot depends on what JMac judges to be our best bet for a starting point.

I'd just like to see the Bills' starting OL play against someone's starters during actual game action. They had the scrimmage against GB, and then a pre-season game against Indy's backups. I still have no idea if they are going to be able to get the job done.

good points, lori. i'll be watching for all of them. at RB, i'm rooting for gates. i liked him at louisville, and i think he's a more durable option (over williams) if mcgahee is out for any extended period of time.

i also want to see how gandy holds up against KGB.