Hyatt Regency Buffalo...

Marriott always seems to do well with properties like these.

Somebody told me (it may have been on this board, I don't remember) that the Hyatt had to be the world's worst Hyatt Hotel. It was run-down, the service was spotty, and the rooms were too cramped.

Hopefully, the renovations will do the trick and the new Marriott can become a jewel.

Mike

Somebody told me (it may have been on this board, I don't remember) that the Hyatt had to be the world's worst Hyatt Hotel.  It was run-down, the service was spotty, and the rooms were too cramped.

Hopefully, the renovations will do the trick and the new Marriott can become a jewel.

Mike

412532[/snapback]

I have never stayed there, but I will be in a few weeks, as part of a wedding party. I can tell you, their reservation people have not been all that great...I hope the hotel room is better... :)

Somebody told me (it may have been on this board, I don't remember) that the Hyatt had to be the world's worst Hyatt Hotel.  It was run-down, the service was spotty, and the rooms were too cramped.

Mike

412532[/snapback]

A change of ownership and hence management can and has done wonders. Hotels are easy (but expensive) to re-do - but the people running them are all the difference.

Paul Snyder has always been a magician when it comes to using other people's money = too bad about the Buffalo Braves (water over the Falls)

I have never been in the Buffalo Hyatt but if it is anything like the convention center then it is a dump.

412575[/snapback]

As one who has been there it is better than a Holiday Inn (which sometimes do not even have a real restaurant in them and not as good as most good hotels in many towns (I've never stayed at the Adams Mark which is the competing major hotel downtown but it looks a bit better than the Hyatt).

Regardless of one's judgment about the relative quality of the Hyatt this is good news (if true as it does seem to be tentative so far and it is merely in the Buff News which is no gurantee or accuracy) across the board as it means someone pumping millions into this hotel for renovation which will not only improve it but force the Adams Mark to decide whether to upgrade to compete or not. It also means that forces in the private sector feel they can make a buck investing in a downtown Buffalo location.

Mike

412532[/snapback]

A curse on anything Paul Snyder is involved with. He shoold have been run out of town for his rip off job on the Buffalo Braves and the city.

Changing from a Hyatt to a Marriott is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.  Do you think it's going to be the magic spark that brings Buffalo back from the brink?

412923[/snapback]

Nope.

However, $1 more in reinvestment money is $1 more than we had yesterday and the millions talked about is millions more.

Why do folks insist that a graded moderate reaction to something as being marginally better than the current situation must instead be judged to be some ground-brealing huge change?

Rearranging the deck chairs will not stop the ship from sinking, but if the ship is not going to sink in your life time then putting the deck chairs in a more comfortable or efficient order is not an unreasonable thing to do.

My particular sense is that government leaders and certainly not the business community are NOT going to be the leaders in reversing downward trends in Buffalo.

It was our business leadership and practices which led the charge over the last 50 years that has seen the downward spiral. I mean who do you judge was in charge? Welfare queens? Labor unions? The Symbionese Liberation Army?

No.

Get a clue. Pooe people are poor. Labor is in sharp decline and has been for awhile. The Lefto idiots either get killed or have kids and become more conservative.

The impressive trick that the big money forces in society have pulled off is that not only have they bellied up the bar of society and gained and enjoyed their wealth, but they have suceeded in blaming the poor and other forces for all the mistakes which have happened with them having far more influence if not control over how things have gone.

The only good thing I see in the recent meltdown of Erie County under GOP control of both the executive and legislative branches is that both the GOP and the Dems have zero case to make with the public that they have the right answers and residents and citizen groups are stepping up to take things over like never before.